What's new

St Johns West Indian Lime Cologne 2017 Hurricane Series

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Anyone familiar with this Limited Edition? I've used St Johns Bay Rum and St Johns Lime Cologne for years, but never saw this special edition before. Apparently related to the hurricane that tore through the Virgin Islands in 2017, but I know few other details. Apparently it has a touch of orange, bergamot, and vetiver, probably to make the scent last a little longer? I love lime cologne in general, and St Johns in particular, but it really is an all too fleeting scent. So does anyone know anything about this LE? I see St Johns no longer sells it- it is now only available from secondary sellers.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I dug around and got the answer so I may as well share it. The hurricanes Irma and Maria in September 2017 did tremendous damage to St Johns, including the St Johns Bay Rum works. They were able to salvage some of their product, but to finish the 2017 run they had to alter their supply chains for both the bay rum and the lime cologne. They also couldn't get their hand woven bottle palm frond things made, so both the bay rum and the lime from 2017 was released as a "Hurricane Edition" in bottles with adhesive labels and no palm, and a portion of proceeds were donated to island relief efforts. I was given a bottle at Christmas by my daughter and neither of us knew the back story. Apparently only available in the secondary market now. I'm still working on a 10 year old bottle, but in the bottle the 2017 stuff smells about right.
lime.jpg

I'll bet the Hurricane edition scent is terrific.

For me there is nothing more subjective in our hobby than scent. For a couple of years, summer called me to use a 50/50 blend of Pinaud Virgin Island Bar Rum mixed with Captain's Choice Lime. It was cheap, kind ov synthetic smelling and on hot day's I loved it.

Top Bottom