What's new

St James of London Black Pepper and Lime

Hmmm…this got pretty lengthy. Oh well. I do like to tell stories:

I’d been reading very positive reviews of the St James of London creams. The prevailing wisdom is that they create an excellent lather…with the expected mixed reviews on some of the scents.

To be sure; I’ll hop on a unanimous thumbs up in a second, but I also enjoy checking out the mixed reviews. Even the thumbs down at times. I figure that a quality, well established designer/maker will usually know what he or she is doing.

Black Pepper and Lime sounded like an interesting mix, so I did some digging. Comments like, “I want to like this cream…” and “I think I like this cream…” got my curiosity up, so I ordered a squeezer.

My first shave was with a Muhle Rocca, using a yellow Feather blade. The lather was def as advertised: excellent. GREAT shave from start to finish.

Now, the scent was also somewhat as advertised, too. Leans much more towards the black pepper side, which is strong but not overpowering. And it doesn’t linger (remember I said that).

At that time I was using an aloe after shave balm. I finished the shave with an “I think I like it…?”, applied the balm, and went on my unsure merry way.

It wasn’t long after this shave that my wife “asked” me to ax the aloe balm. She has a very sensitive sense of smell. Prefers my natural, wild, manly scent. So far, anything with a strong scent that lingers has gone the way of the dinosaurs in my house. Hopefully I land on something that we both like, but for now…

Ever onward:

“I’ll always try something twice (unless it kills me the first time)” is my mantra. Just in case I missed something the first go round. And I’m very glad I did so in this case.

I gave the Black Pepper and Lime another go, a couple of weeks later. Same great lather/shave. And I found that, this time around, I actually welcomed that Black Pepper scent. I liked that it was so different than the other creams and soaps I have. Also think that I “got” the Lime aspect. It’s subtle. You can catch it but it’s more along the lines of how it effects the pepper. Softens it a bit.

But the real game changer for me involved the “lingering” aspect. I was now (and still am) using a Captains Choice “Land Ho!” after shave balm. Very nice scent which vanishes soon after applying. I went for a walk soon after my shave. Beautiful day and suddenly I realized that I could still smell the shave cream…not overpowering but definitely there. And it was really nice! The lime had just a bit more presence and the pepper was softer.

I used the cream yesterday with the exact same results (except I liked it even more) and the bonus is that my lovely wife was around this time and didn’t notice a thing. It’s like the lingering aroma is my personal secret.

So if you’re still reading this: thank you and refreshments will be served in the lobby during the intermission.

Bottom line in my book:

Great quality shave cream and a really cool change of pace if you give it a chance. Very nice during the shave and, if you’re someone who doesn’t apply anything with a scent after the shave; the cream will give you a very nice reminder for the next hour or so.

ED11CAB5-DDDB-46A8-ACD2-0E471091A42E.jpeg

Great review. As I have said in the past with this cream: if in doubt, more cream and less water. The scent is surprisingly mild during the shave, but the AS gel is what makes St James so great for me. There is plenty of lime in there!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My top two creams are this Black Pepper and Lime, and Erasmic. One is pricey, and the other is dirt cheap. Two totally different scents. However, both give me fantastic shaves with less than 1ml of product.

Great review. As I have said in the past with this cream: if in doubt, more cream and less water. The scent is surprisingly mild during the shave, but the AS gel is what makes St James so great for me. There is plenty of lime in there!
Might just be my advancing years (love that phrase). I’ve read that smell is the first of our senses to diminish. Not catching a lot of the lime. I’ll try more cream next time. Thanks for the tip!

Not a loss, either way. Very into it as is and I’m definitely a St James fan, now.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, it was restarted in 2013 after a 50 year dormancy, according to their website, and they started offering new products in 2014.

So 1953 to 1963, then 2014 to present.

here's a new and an old jar of st james.
todd, who had to leave t&h usa due to its upheaval years ago, reached out and contracted with former manufacturer of st james to produce reformulated line-up. both new and old creams are excellent, imho.

2 st james.jpg

I really like the SJOL cream. Great ingredient formulation and as with most creams, a little goes a long way. I've got tobacco and tonka and as advertised is exactly what I get. There are some other minor notes that come through occasionally when I try and pay attention but its mostly just tobacco and tonka. I prefer relatviely simple scents for shave creams so it works for me. I agree about the post-shave scent longevity. I can smell the tobacco scent hours after shaving even after using a scented AS and face moisturiser. It's not overpowering but its definitely there.

I really like the SJOL cream. Great ingredient formulation and as with most creams, a little goes a long way. I've got tobacco and tonka and as advertised is exactly what I get. There are some other minor notes that come through occasionally when I try and pay attention but its mostly just tobacco and tonka. I prefer relatviely simple scents for shave creams so it works for me. I agree about the post-shave scent longevity. I can smell the tobacco scent hours after shaving even after using a scented AS and face moisturiser. It's not overpowering but its definitely there.
I have a jar of the Tobacco and Tonka. I am just about done with my jar of tobacco and tonka. It's a really good cream it feels like a luxury product also the scent is great.

Top Bottom