What's new

St. Charles Soap/Aftershave/Cologne Review...

full

Now before I delve into this review – I’d like to offer up a “disclaimer” if you will. For those of you not too familiar with me, I am known for giving very honest, detailed reviews of MY PERSONAL opinions and experiences with products. Everyone has different likes/dislikes, facial sensitivities, type of skin, etc. No one product will be liked or disliked by all. If you have had a different experience with these products please remember, this is just MY opinion/experience.

Now with that out of the way – here goes!
full

Let’s first start out with the “Tony’s Choice” Aftershave. First – the packaging. I very much dislike this aluminum canister with a “squeeze” top... kind of defeats the purpose of a squeeze top. You cannot see how much product is left in the canister, and it is inconvenient to dispense the appropriate amount of product, in a timely manner. Quite often, when shaking this product vigorously to dispense it onto ones hand, you are “rewarded” with far too much product. I can imagine how frustrating this could be when you have reached the bottom 10% of the canister. Also, I very much have a gripe with the labeling. The little floppy tabs are NOT easy to read, and if you collect a large portion of products, it is hard to distinguish which on is which. I’d MUCH prefer a sticker type label with bold easy to read writing…. Some of us can barely see in the wee hours of the morning!

Now getting to the liquid itself – this stuff smells like a chocolaty, mint, vanilla concoction. Although VERY pleasant and delightful, it is more of an “edible” scent. Although this smells wonderful, it is not a scent I would want stuck to me, but luckily it fades quite quickly. In my opinion the scent is quite refreshing and rather delightful, however it is somewhat problematic in that it makes you MIGHTY hungry in the morning! Really delightful smell! As far as the actual efficacy of the aftershave, although effective, it DOES leave much to be desired. It has a very light cooling sensation and provides a bit of moisture, however it does not seem to markedly reduce irritation or soothe ones skin after shaving. Although this is superior to the likes of Nivea balm, and other store bought brands, it is simply inferior to Proraso Liquid Cream, Pre-Post, CAR Balm, C&E, DR Harris, T&H and others. With that said, it is less expensive than the aforementioned products, and personally just out of raw function I’d step up and fork out the money for the aforementioned balms over the “Tony’s Choice.” You take C&E and scent it with Tony’s Scent and you have an ace in the hole.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 2
Quality – 1
Scent – 2
Efficacy – 0
Moisturizing properties – 1

Total – 6 out of 10

“New Spice” Cologne. Well this is where I think a bit of a disagreement may arise, so please again refer to the disclaimer. To be blunt, basically I feel every aspect of this product is a complete disaster.

First – the packaging is awful. You cannot tell how much product is left in the bottle, the aluminum will theoretically affect the scent as is sits in the bottle over time, and the atomizer is terrible and unless I tried a faulty one – requires a FULL priming each time it is used, so after 10 or so pumps, it dispenses 1 spray of product. The labeling is poor and the tied silver bow and label is quite a feminine and does not contrast with the silver aluminum bottle. If this firm were to come out with other scent, it would be impossible to tell which scent was what from bottle to bottle if the labels were misplaced. I would much prefer a cheap sticker with plain text.

Let’s get to the juice. I feel this stuff is somewhat mislabeled, as it is more of a body spray than cologne. It does not seem to have the lasting power or depth of a true “cologne” – but fortunately for this cologne that is a godsend as once you get it on you – you want so bad to get it off. One sniff of the cologne in liquid form will damn near knock you dead as it smells so vile, however once it is sprayed and “settles” a bit, it is promoted to a rank/stank smell. A HIGHLY distinguished, retired gentleman with whom I shared a few drinks with a few days ago when I was wearing this concoction pulled me aside and politely and constructively informed me that I smelled like “Urinal Cakes” and whatever I was wearing, I should not do so again. Keep in mind, this is a gentleman who knows how serious I take my personal appearance/scent, and have NEVER said so much as a WORD about any of the other FIFTY or so scents I had worn around him in the past. This was rather embarrassing. This is without question, the most horrid cologne I have ever adorned… bar none.

I give this 2 out of 10, one point for effort, the other point for its low price. If you ask me though… two words of advice – stay away.

St. Charles Shaving Soap – Citrus Basil.
Firstly this wood bowl is of substantially lower quality than that of other firms offering wooden bowls such as C&E, T&H, Trumpers, etc….. but who cares, as the soap is rather nice, and the combo is quite inexpensive. I have noticed however, the prices have been bumped to $11.95 for the soap/bowl combo and that this is just an “Introductory Price” which is quite agitating. It will be interesting to see where the price ends up, but alas, let’s get down to business.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

As you can see the soap does not lather too prolifically in the bowl, but once it is applied to your face, trust me it really opens up.

This soap provides amble lubrication, lather, and has a nice soothing property to it. The scent to it is not at all my cup of tea, and I find it rather a feminine, too strong and a bit “cheap” smelling, but I accredit this more towards my lackluster feelings towards basil scented products. I think in Almond this would be a knock ‘em dead great product (it IS available in Almond – and I will more than likely purchase it when I get back home early next week). This soap provides an uncanny amount of miniaturization for a shaving soap, and leaves your skin feeling spectacular. My only viable gripes about this product are the lack of labeling the bowl (as to the scent) and the fact that this is not really a “hard” soap. This is an AWFULLY soft soap, softer even than Proraso shaving soap. While not a bad thing, and probably the reason the soap provides so much moisture, it does however “wear” quickly. With just three uses, I can see this soap will not last nearly as long as a triple milled traditional English shaving soap. I think these cakes would last about a month or so, and given the current price, I feel this offers a great value. Since the actual prices are still up in the air, who knows where they will end up… I would/will buy a cake or two at their current price but with cakes of T&H to be had in the $8-12 range, which will last MANY months of daily use, I simply wouldn’t/couldn’t buy St. Charles over T&H. If they can keep the price down or VERY close to its current level, I feel these will be a very viable and successful product. All in all – I enjoyed this soap quite a bit, and would recommend it to those interested in delving into the soap world, without having to buy into an expensive triple milled soap.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 1
Quality – 2
Scent – 1
Efficacy – 2
Moisturizing properties – 2

Total – 8 out of 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice detailed review, Joel, as usual. The soap seems to be a decent product, though I am more than content with my current roster of T&H, Harris, Floris, L'Occitane, etc. hard soaps. As for the cologne and AS, it seems to be a polarizing scent, to say the least.

My $0.02 on these products. First, I concur with Joel on the soap. Pretty top notch performance for a low price. Should the price/shave stay down, I don't mind the fact that the soap wears quicker than the 3T's.

I happen to like the New Spice cologne. I agree that it is more of a body spray, but I have found that it has quite a bit of staying power. I use 6 or so pumps to my chest in the morning and I can still get whiffs of it when I get home from work. I find the scent rather pleasing. It's a light, masculine, powdery type of smell. Great for casual wear.

The aftershave scared me at first when I put it on. It felt and smelled like I was smearing Kaopectate on my face. After a few seconds of dry down, the smell became a rather pleasant minty sort of smell. Performance seemed OK, though I don't have a lot to compare it to other than Baxter's or Trumper's, both of which I don't think I'll be moving to the back of the shelf.

I think that packaging is an issue that Sue will be able to address as time goes on. She obviously had to choose some containers and start somewhere. The wood bowl is pretty nice. For me, the cologne in an aluminum atomizer worked fine since you can shake it and feel how much product is left. I don't know about the cologne reacting with the container, but I can't see this one staying around for too long anyway as it takes a substantial amount to be applied compared to most EDT's we use. But again, for the price, who cares? I disliked the aftershave packaging for the same reasons as Joel.

One thing I really did appreciate is customer service. Sue was very responsive both from an ordering fulfillment standpoint and and in responding to any feedback I had regarding her products. She has a genuine interest in the satisfaction of her customers.

Sue should be proud of the line she has put together. It may not for everyone, but it is nice to have handcrafted, economical options out there. Given that she is a one woman operation, I think it is pretty impressive that she has been able to introduce so much so quickly. Sure, there will be growing pains but I think Saint Charles Shave has a bright future ahead.

Joel:

Side note - What did you think of the Merkur travel razor? Can you leave the balde in it when putting it back in the leather case without fear of damaging the case or the blade?

Jerry

Joel, as usual you gave a very good and balanced review. I just received my order this morning and will try it tomorrow. I ordered the New Spice EDT and shave soap bowl. I also ordered the soft Bergamot bowl and sandalwood refill. I personally like all the scents but colognes are a subjective taste for most of us.

Joel, you failed to mention that Sue offers a money back guarantee. If you don't like any of her products you may request a full refund.

Tony Espo

Joel thanks once again for the detailed review.

I enjoy Sue's entire lineup. I find the soap frangrances to be a refreshing alternative to the competition. I enjoy the cologne. For me it fills a gap between M7 and Angel for Men.

Personally the quality of a product is of more importance than price. If price was my deciding factor, how could I justify purchasing Trumper's or Salter's shaving cream over Taylors.

I look forward to watching St. Charles Shave grow and try their future product offerings.

rtaylor61 said:
Rik,

I agree, however, I would put the A/S balm closer to A*MEN than the cologne!

Randy

You've piqued my interest. Since you twisted my arm, I think I'll have to have an evening shave. :biggrin:

Joel,
I read your review with much interest. Thank you for posting it.

I need to address a couple of points. The first is the packaging which I explained in a post earlier this evening. Labeling is a matter of expenses.The disk cap on the Aftershave is meant to use to shake a few drops in your hand, without removing the cap, not to squeeze. The aluminum bottles are coated inside with a substance to prevent degrading the content.

Your comments about seeing what is left in the bottle intrigued me. I had never given it much thought. About 1/2 of the products I use cannot be viewed. Of the product contents that I can see, some appear more full than they really are due to convex bottoms. What would you suggerst as a better bottle to use? I am very open to suggestions.

I looked thru my PalPal account back to the 8th of November and do not see a 'Joel". If you would please PM me, I would like to refund your money for the New Spice cologne which you were so disappointed in.

I am sorry my products did not meet with your expectations or level of quality.

Sue

Greetings Sue,

Welcome to B&B! I hope you have the opportunity to frequent often. We gents always welcome a woman's point of view on this obsession of ours. You'll find this to be a great group of guys who contain a wealth of shaving knowledge and aren't bashful with their opinions. May the feedback you receive will be of value to you! :smile:

Hello, It's Sue again. I have taken the bottle suggestios I have received here and via PM's to heart and just ordered clear plastic bottles. The shape I chose is only available in 5 ounce bottles. I hope they do not have a 'cheap' look. I worry when I cannot actually touch and see the bottle "in person". Also, I received a wonderful suggestion via PM for waterproof labeling tonight (many thanks to you!) which I am going to follow-up on tomorrow.

Thank you guys, for your input.
Sue

joel said:
the atomizer is terrible and unless I tried a faulty one – requires a FULL priming each time it is used, so after 10 or so pumps, it dispenses 1 spray of product.

Greetings Joel,

I think you tested a faulty atomizer. I used mine tonight after its been sitting for a couple of days and received a full spray of product on the first pump.

Sue said:
Joel,
I looked thru my PalPal account back to the 8th of November and do not see a 'Joel". If you would please PM me, I would like to refund your money for the New Spice cologne which you were so disappointed in.
Sue,

Joel is borrowing my St. Charles products, and no refund is necessary. I am tempted, however, to send you the New Spice Cologne, not for a replacement, but so you can take a whiff of it. The first couple days that I had it, the smell was pleasing. Then, out of nowhere, it seemed to have devolved into a very unpleasant scent, which could best be described as industrial kitchen cleaner. I'm wondering if this has any correlation with what appears to be a faulty atomizer on the bottle.

I was planning on waiting until I got home, smelling the cologne once more, and then shooting you an email regarding the cologne, and the spray top (I'm on vacation at the moment, so not much can be done about it right now).

-Nick

Sue said:
Hello, It's Sue again. I have taken the bottle suggestios I have received here and via PM's to heart and just ordered clear plastic bottles. The shape I chose is only available in 5 ounce bottles. I hope they do not have a 'cheap' look. I worry when I cannot actually touch and see the bottle "in person". Also, I received a wonderful suggestion via PM for waterproof labeling tonight (many thanks to you!) which I am going to follow-up on tomorrow.

Thank you guys, for your input.
Sue
Sue,

That's great to hear. I know when I've invested a lot of my time and energy into a project, it's hard for me to accept any kind of constructive feedback. I think the Aluminum bottles look fairly nice, but at least for the AS, it isn't practical. I hope the new bottles work out.

Speaking of the aftershave, have you given any thought to a "Tony's Choice" scented soap?

-Nick

Nick said:
Sue,

Joel is borrowing my St. Charles products, and no refund is necessary. I am tempted, however, to send you the New Spice Cologne, not for a replacement, but so you can take a whiff of it. The first couple days that I had it, the smell was pleasing. Then, out of nowhere, it seemed to have devolved into a very unpleasant scent, which could best be described as industrial kitchen cleaner. I'm wondering if this has any correlation with what appears to be a faulty atomizer on the bottle.

I was planning on waiting until I got home, smelling the cologne once more, and then shooting you an email regarding the cologne, and the spray top (I'm on vacation at the moment, so not much can be done about it right now).

-Nick

Personally I would suspect sabotage, and I believe I've cracked the case. This individual planned on bribing Sue to create his own product line. He then planned on dressing up as Santa so he could sneak past security into the lavishly well stocked shave den of a Mr R.G. Mr G, who’s been a particularly good shaver this year, ran to his den in anticipation only to find all of his prized possessions replaced with the aforementioned product line and numerous self pin ups of none other than…..
THE BUTLER
attachment.php

Top Bottom