What's new

St Charles Shaving soap

Just a quick few notes here...

My package arrived yesterday and of course this will be the soap of the day...

This stuff is great....very slick...my lather making could use some work...use a drier brush and add the water...

The fragrance is very intense...very very nice....i will have to let one of the other guys tell you the notes on it...

the lather on the 2nd and 3rd passes were excellent....I got a very smooth shave with this soap...Sue has done a wonderful job here....

My Tony's aftershave leaked compleety out in the box, so i can not comment on this...but Sue has another one shipped already....it smells great too...

The cologne is very nice...

I am swamped at work today, buy I wanted to post something for some of you guys to read about.

I am very positive about these products. Her service was excellent, too.

You know for $25 bucks you get a very attractive bowl and soap...good size bottle of aftershave and a bottle of cologne....

nice christmas idea ???

Put a brush and Merkur HD and your have a great kit.

mark tssb

I received my order last night, I received the shaving soap, in a nice wooden bowl and New Spice Cologne. When I opened the shaving soap........whoa......the smell of almonds filled the room, so much that swmbo commented when she walked into the kitchen. I have never smelled such a powerful scent from any of my other soaps/creams and that's saying something. The soap appears to have a 'creamy-hard' texture to it. It's not a hard soap but when you drag your finger across the soap you leave a slight indentation. I can't wait to try it.
proxy.php

it was new spice....the cologne was well received by the ladies, but i didn't put it on very heavy...i was afraid to be too overpowering and they couldn't resist themselves and the flow of work would stop....:blush:

tonight i am going to sit in a redneck bar with a pork chop and new spice on and see what the women go far !!! :w00t:

Look out girls...you ain't got a chance with the old bald headed fat boy from Southeast Missouri wearing this stuff.:001_tt1:

I am going to use it again tomorrow with a drier brush. I was really busy at work today and couldn't go into depth with my review...

What i need to say is that the lather was really great after the water dried a little bit...I make the same mistake with QED soaps. My shavemac XXL really holds the water...So when you get yours, you will have a heads up on it.....

Next, if you didn't catch this...but my aftershave leaked out dry while shipping....yes folks Tony Espo leaked in my package...don't spread that around...:glare: The garage smelled wonderful with the fragrance as the box sat out there...I can't wait to try it....

Sue immediatley replaced it and the new package is on its way. Thanks Sue. Nothing but positive things to say about the product and your service.

I talked about a christmas present or a starter kit for a newbie....you know with a Merkur HD, pack of blades, a Savile row brush, QED shave stick, Newspice in a bowl and Tony's aftershaveand 4oz cologne....for about 95 bucks plus shipping...

What a starter kit....

If you stick with the small items from Sue...11 bucks plus shipping...no bowl and just the 2 oz sizes...11 bucks....that's it....
SR 204 super badger brush...$40
Merkur HD....$28
Blades....$4.25
Shave stick....$7.50
$50 bucks....

Now there is a bargain for ya !!!!

Yo guys try it and see what you think...

mark the shoeshine boy

roughrider said:
How is the quality of the wooden bowl? How would you compare it to other wooden bowls from C&E, T&H, etc.?

I can't answer that...the only wooden bowls that i have are older antique models and one made by my friend out of hedgeapple....

Maybe one of these others can answer when theres comes in...

mark tssb

I just received my order today, and am very impressed with the wooden bowl.
It is much better quality, and seems to be a little bigger than the CM bowl I already have.

Steve

Cliff said:
I received my order last night, I received the shaving soap, in a nice wooden bowl and New Spice Cologne. When I opened the shaving soap........whoa......the smell of almonds filled the room, so much that swmbo commented when she walked into the kitchen. I have never smelled such a powerful scent from any of my other soaps/creams and that's saying something. The soap appears to have a 'creamy-hard' texture to it. It's not a hard soap but when you drag your finger across the soap you leave a slight indentation. I can't wait to try it.
proxy.php
===========================================
The above was my original post. Here's my review of my first usage, this morning. This is a soap brought to my attention by our own Tony Espo, who helped develop it by working in collaboration with Sue Moore the soaps' creator.

In the shavegeek community there are soap guys and there are cream guys. I'm going to state, up front, that I am a cream guy. I have tried several soaps and while I have gotten a good shave with them, I have not been able to get a great shave. The creams seem to work better for me and my technique (or lack thereof).

That said.........this is a great soap. As I've mentioned in my initial post above; the fragrance is intoxicating, I've never sniffed a scent so brilliant. In fact, I found myself cupping my hands over the open container and breathing deeply, trying to get an Almond high. But I digress, this soap worked extremely well, lathered beautifully and shaved well - all in all a fine addition to anybody's collection. I think this is a soap that people will find to be a "go-to" item. Try it i think you'll like it.

I'm still a cream guy......but, I WILL be adding this soap into my rotation. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had to ammend this review to mention a small negative that should be corrected. As I was using the soap, adding a little more to the brush mix I noticed some black "grunge" on my marble countertop. I wiped it up thinking nothing of it and it happened again, I wondered "where is this crap coming from"....the light bulb went on and I looked at the bottom of the wooden soap bowl. There it was, half of the lettering on the silver label was gone and the remaining lettering was "smooshed" (I love these technical terms). I moistened a paper towel and removed the remaining ink - end of problem. This can be remedied by using a water resistant ink.

It's my morning off and of course it my time to pamper myself....longer shower...and a slow relaxing shave...for those of you who are new to wetshaving...this dreadful chore of scraping my stubbly masculinity off my face daily has turned into a new relaxing and stimulating rewarding experience...

How can you have all of this in "a shave"? Great products is the key.

You buy a great brush that if you don't use for at least two to three minutes for each pass, you are missing out of the luxury of your brush. Plus the soap has time to moisturize your beard for the next pass. When find a soap or cream that works so well for you, you look forward to using it time after time again. There are so many good one on the market.

After you master the technique of holding the razor at the right angle for every pass. Whiskers are shaven like never before and the results are great. Can these results be duplicated day after day ? Sure they can, if you just take the time and concentrate on your technique.

Having said all this for the new guys sakes. Once again Sue's New Spice lathered really well this morning after my poor technique for yesterday's first pass. The fragrance is very intense and intoxicating. For me it is totally different from the usually lavender or rose, one usually gets.

The soap is very slick and my Merkur HD with a 4 day old Merkur blade slid across my skin like a glass windshield on a snow bank. During each pass, no matter what direction, I did not encounter any lubrication problem.

After all said and done, cold rinse, Trumpers skin food, I had a very, very smooth face....

This soap is right up there (in my opinion) with QED, Trumpers, Tabac, and Proraso. These are my only hard soaps that I have to compare. In fact, to me this lubrication is as good as QED, which of course is MY favorite soap.

Now compared to the creams, I can only say that it may not lather as good as a cream, but what I get I am very pleased with what I get and the bottom line is: I get a great shave with this soap. So what if my technique with a soap is not as good as a cream, big deal...believe me I have read and reread the tutorial on how to do it to !!!

So now I have to look at my QED Lime, Violetta, Rose, Lavender and Sandlewood tubs and wonder where I am going to put New Spice in !!!!

While I was shaving this morning the Today Show came on and said "where in the world is Matt Lauer ?"....WHO CARES...I'M SHAVING !!!

For your newbies you want to learn more about how to turn your old shaving chore into a positive experience, stick around and keep reading...

Visit me down at the Barbershop Section of the forum and chat with me...I'll help ya !!!

Best Regards to all of you,

Mark ths shoeshine boy

Austin said:
Mark, have you tried the aftershave? If so, can you give us a review.

BTW Great review.

My aftershave completley leaked out during shipping. Sue has another one on the way. the heavily soaked box layed in my garage--best smelling garage on the block !!!

As soon as I get it, I will be glad to review it....

Has any one else try it yet ???

mark tssb

Yes I tried it:cool: Mark, I'm sorry to hear that your garbage is wearing my name sake aftershave. When you get the replacement use a small amount to start. It stings at first touch and then it starts cooling and cooling and cooling. I love it:001_tt1:

Tony Espo

tonyespo said:
Yes I tried it:cool: Mark, I'm sorry to hear that your garbage is wearing my name sake aftershave. When you get the replacement use a small amount to start. It stings at first touch and then it starts cooling and cooling and cooling. I love it:001_tt1:

Tony Espo

Hey Tony, are you talking about the Regular or Sensitive Skin version? Have you tried them both? What's the big difference?

tonyespo said:

Tony Espo

Tony,

I'm telling the members that you leaked on my front steps and then in the garage...:glare:

:001_tt2:

mark tssb

roughrider said:
Hey Tony, are you talking about the Regular or Sensitive Skin version? Have you tried them both? What's the big difference?

The regular aftershave. Come to think of it Sue sent me some of the sensitive aftershave to test and I did, but because I don't have sensitive skin I never really saw any difference. I told Sue that I was going to give myself a case of razor burn on purpose to try out the sensitive formula and I forgot to do it and she forgot to remind me. Sorry I can't tell you how the sensitive blend is different because I have never had the razor burn and I don't have normally sensitive skin.

Tony Espo

Does anyone not what the ingredients of the soap. Are they like the qed soaps not allot of synthetics loaded up within them.

Top Bottom