What's new

St Charles Shaving soap

mike said:
I was going to order a few soaps for my friends, but I think I will pass for now. I think I will go with T&H instead.

I too believe that Sue has a right to make a profit and that the initial prices were clearly marked as introductory. My decision to go in a different direction is based upon my perception of value. I still buy Col. Conk soaps because I can get them for $3.00 a cake. They shave well and therefore constitute a great value. I can get T&H soap at Ashford for $6.00 a cake. To me, this represents a better value when all factors are taken into consideration.

When I saw Sue's original prices, I thought it was pretty obvious that profit was going to be marginal if not non-existant. A soap and a nice wooden bowl for $8.00! Most soap refills cost more that this. I would have ordered a couple of soaps during the introductory period except she ran out of bowls. By the time bowls were back in stock, the price was up.

Like Nick mentioned, I wish there had been a %off and a cut-off date but it's probably still a fair price for what she's providing, at least in my opinion. I'm not in such a hurry to order now but will likely give them a try sometime.

Jerry

Edit:
Of course, it's my own fault I didn't get them for the introductory price since I waited to read a few reviews instead of being one of the reviewers! Once the reviews started coming in and I went to order, the bowls were out of stock.

He who hesitates......

I agree that Sue's products are a great value. I find the fragrances to be refreshing and the resulting shave to be on par or better than her competition. Having tried a variety of her shaving soaps, I will most definitely be a repeat customer.

Randy, I'm very fond of the Bergamot scent. PM me if you're interested in making a deal.

Sue, If you're reading this post, thank you for taking the time and effort to create an exceptional product. I have to believe this is a difficult industry to compete in. I look forward to your future fragrances!

Well folks -

Here's my $.02 on these products:

I received the goodie box yesterday and got to actually use everything this morning.

I lathered up with my trusty SMF brush that had been soaking in hot water. The soap is fairly soft compared to Tabac, but about on par (hardness-wise) with Ray's soaps @ Classic Shaving. For me that's where the similarity ended.
I know there are folks that have forgotten more about shave soaps than I know. However, I've tried my share and, as with most things, a few always seem to rise above the rest. This soap is destined to be one of those (at least in my rotation).

The soap (I went for the almond) was EXCELLENT. For me it was very moisturizing and provided as good a shave as I've had from ANY soap (including Charles' and Tabac - my two "staples". I am seriously impressed! Very lubricating and it did not dry out quickly for me at all. I applied hot water to my face between each pass - but I always do this. Once the proper lather/water mix was acheived; the lather got that glossy look to it (like wet paint, still in the can). I get the same lather from Tabac as well.

I'm not used to referring to myself as a "soap guy." However, I have to tell you: with the three aforementioned products - I'm seriously waivering...

I also tried the "New Spice" cologne. I think it's a great value. Scent is, of course, subjective. I did get my wife complimenting me on it immediately (and she's not a fan of most of my sandalwood scents - although she's tolerant :glare: ). My 3 1/2 year old son liked it and wanted to try some. I have him a little shot and he was happy as a clam, too!

I'm not really sure if the scent is for me. Maybe I should clarify by saying that it's not something that I normally would choose. However - I have to say that on me it had AWESOME staying power and I did get a few compliments on it. So what do I know? It seemed somewhat sweet with possible notes of chocolate? But it also seemed to lose some of that sweetness after the dry-down.

The atomizer top seems to dispense quite a bit of the scent - maybe that's why it "hung around" (my over application) - but that's easily adapted to.

Overall - I'm seriously impressed and very happy with the value that I've received from St. Charles' products thus far. Good job Sue!

Clark, on SMF Sue has stated that she will not list the ingrediants. If it concerns you, then I would pass on her products.

FWIW - I made good on my word (of buying the shave soap in Almond)... and decided to give the new spice scent one more go, as there "might" have been something wrong with it. Alas - here was my order...

1 Filled Wood Bowl
Item #Almond $11.95 USD
1 4 Ounces Fine Mist Spray Cologne
Item #New Spice $7.95 USD
1 4 Ounce Body Lotion
Item #New Spice $8.79 USD
1 Tony's Choice Aftershave, 4 Ounces
Item #Regular Formula $6.95 USD
1 New Spice Shower Gel
Item #6 Ounce Bottle $4.89 USD
Amount $40.53 USD

Austin said:
Clark, on SMF Sue has stated that she will not list the ingrediants. If it concerns you, then I would pass on her products.

I will pass on the soap. It should not be that big of a deal and in my opinion should be mandatory for any reputable vendor, just my opinion.

L

lathermaker

Clark,

I, too, requested an ingredients list and was basically told that Sue couldn't be "bullied" into presenting them. I beg to differ, but it is the law for a manufacturer to disclose a full listing of ingredients. I am with you and will forgo purchasing from her. I find it very shady that a manufacturer/business doesn't comply with the law. She should know what is required of her before she sells to the public. Just my not so humble opinion.

Ok, off the soapbox.

Lathermaker

This reminds me of another thread that was started on another site by quite possibly the same individual and the thread turned sour and hatefull. She has made her intentions clear so move on and lets stop here. Sue is a respected member here and should be treated as such and not bad mouthed for her decesion to keep her ingredients a secret. LETS MOVE ONE:biggrin:

I hadn't read this thread and just emailed her to find out if her soaps were tallow based or vegetable based. I've been a vegetarian (15 years) and generally try to avoid the animal stuff where practical. I would hope I'd get a response and am eager to try the soaps if they are indeed vegetable based. I don't care about every single ingredient- just those. We'll see if I hear anything.

Sue wrote me a friendly reply. Her soaps are vegetable based. Happy times! I'm thinking Almond and maybe Citrus Pie.

Just tried the almond for the first time.
Yep.
Its good.

The almond is different from the other almond soaps/creams I've tried. This smells like it should be drank from a shot, dropped into a beer. Thats right, she has captured the exact scent of Amaretto. You could have this soap next to an open bottle of DiSaronno and not tell the difference.
It lathers well, and fast; I had no issues with it although I understand some may react to the fragrance (?)
I also tried the New Spice. I've only just spritzed it on; its not my normal fare, but it does smell vaguely familiar; that said, it passes the Lena test. I'll be wearing my "girly bait" scent tomorrow.
John P.

Top Bottom