What's new

St. Charles Shave soaps ... Anyone use them?

With The Grain said:
i just saw the pics in Joel's "The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger..... " thread and i was curious if each of you guys who really like the st charles soaps are finding you have to "load" the brush with that much soap to get a good lather? i've never loaded a hard soap even nearly that much up into a bursh mainly becuase i've never needed too, is that the trick to making these soaps sing, load them with 5 times what a lot of other soaps take?

I only have a few other soaps to compare to (I have mostly creams), but I find I need about the same as Em's glycerin soap. What I did notice was that they require a tad more water and time. But the time is definitely worth it. I don't think I have anything else in my stock that is as lubricious. I also found they work much better lathering in a bowl versus on my face.

The first 3-4 times that I used one of Sue's soaps, I was not a fan. It is true that here soaps take some additional work and I too, have had better success by loading the brush more. Once you have dialed everything in correctly, however, her soaps produce an excellent lather. Again, I was one shave away from giving it up, but when I hit the magic shave I ordered three more bowls the next day.

I got the citrus basil in the mail today. Wow that was fast. The scent is unique. Hard to really describe. Not bad, just may take a few days to get used to. Lathered well for me. I haven't shaved with it yet, just brushed some on. Seems like it may be a little drying for me but I plan on giving it an honest chance before I get critical. And I am relatively new to all this so I dont have that much to compare it to.

I got a really great shave this morning with the new soap. I think my tecnique has improved a great deal also. It did dry me out the slightest bit but nothing a little as balm couldnt take care of. The scent was also nice. Looks like a good addition.

I just love the SCS- in my current rotation, I have the new spice, ginger lime, and citrus basil. The scents are awesome( as described elsewhere).:biggrin:

I have also found that since using the Master Obi-Ron microwave trick for the water, that I don't need to load the brush as heavy for loads and loads of beautiful smelling lather.:w00t:

BTW, just put in an order for the orange sorbet( I loved creamsicles as a lad-still do, actually) and the savory rose per Kyle's recommendation (since I don't have a rose smelling cream or soap).:wink:

My only wish is that Sue will add a lavender scent to her line @ some point.

Oh, no- promised myself no further orders until B & B brush- must resist dark side- arrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Marty

Badgers and Bladers: ASSEMBLE!

In my last post, I mentioned I was ordering the savory rose and the orange sorbet(which i did on 7 jun 06) today is the 10th of june and what did i find in my mailbox-yep, thats right , my new SCS order had arrived!

i cannot believe the speed- i didnt have time to wonder when it was going to get here.

unfortunately, due to my wonderful palmolive cream shave this morning, there is no way i am going to shave this afternoon.

but, the scent of the savory rose and its wooden containber keep calling my name; and the stainless steel container of orange sorbet keeps whispering "hey, big fella, looking for a good time?"

maybe by nightfall, i will have some stubble so i can answer the call.

the scents are remarkable and the packaging excellent, but the speed of delivery, UNMATCHED!!!

Marty

Marty,
There is no rule agains whipping up a lather just for the sake of doing so. Give them a test lather and enjoy.

Kyle said:
Marty,
There is no rule agains whipping up a lather just for the sake of doing so. Give them a test lather and enjoy.

When ever I do that my wife catches me and asks, "Didn't you shave this morning?"

Top Bottom