What's new

St Charles Shave - Bulgarian Rose Soap Review

I just ordered Rose Damascena Shave Soap from St. Charles Shave (pricey at $28/3.7oz, but it's fragrance is made with pure Rose Absolute. Found it in the "SCS - Limited" link:
Here's a description:
Rose Damascena Shave Soap - This Bulgarian Rose (rose otto) shave soap is made from 100% pure Bulgarian Rose Absolute. Rose Absolute is a solvent extracted from petals of the Bulgarian Rose. It takes approximately 60,000 rose petals to produce 1 drop of this precious oil.
It has just got to be great. I'll post as soon as I get it.
SCS-RoseDamascena.jpg

Mikey
Here is review of this soap.

Scent - A very delicate Rose scent. Not overpowering, but a true Rose scent.
Lather - The lather I produced was not overly thick, like a cream, so I believe I used too much water. This soap does NOT need a lot of water. I did have enough lather for three passes & touch up.
Slickness - This soap is very slick, so my razor had no problems giving me a near BBS shave.
Post Shave - Excellent. No irritation at all from this soap.
Face Feel - Face felt nice and smooth with a hint of the Rose lingering. Finished up with Nivea post shave balm and SCS's Savory Rose Splash.

Hardware Used:
Brush
- Maseto Finest Badger (but a little too much water in the brush, so keep that in mind)
Razor -1948 Gillette Aristocrat
Blade - Gillette Platinum Plus
Bowl - Captain's Choice.

Overall I would rate this soap a 8/10 (cost/Quantity dropped it by 1)
Next shaves with this soap will be with a boar and synthetic. I don't believe more reviews are needed. Just adjust the soap/water to get the lather thickness you like (and it doesn't have to be very thick).
Recommend: Yes, especially if you are a fan of Rose.
Would I buy it again: Absolutely (And I did order another tub)

Mikey

Great review, @meliahog!! I love rose scents, just not as a stand alone (like it a the featured scent but I like it to be wrapped in a nice supporting bouquet). This sounds like an excellent soap, worth checking out.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's incredible the scent difference between a real rose extract and a synthetic scent, isn't it?

nice review!
my experience is similar.
you might want to add her aftershave as well!

View attachment 835340
I do have SCS Savory Rose (two bottles in fact, use it with all my Rose creams/soaps)
T&H Rose Cream, QED Wild Roses, C. Salters Rose Cream, Soap Commander's "Love" (true Rose),
I also use SCS Savory Rose soap for travel.
A couple of other soaps & splashes from SCS to try are:
Smoke & Beads, Fairway
Mikey

Great review, @meliahog!! I love rose scents, just not as a stand alone (like it a the featured scent but I like it to be wrapped in a nice supporting bouquet). This sounds like an excellent soap, worth checking out.
I would. The scent is not overpowering, but delicate. A really potent Rose scent is QED Wild Roses. I picked up a tub on the BST forum. Lucky as this soap is extinct. Pretty soon T&H Rose cream will be extinct. As far as rose creams go, I like the C Salters Rose cream. Decent cream, scent, lather, and price. Have to wait and see what Stone Cottage comes out with in a Rose cream. It is on Dave's to do list.
mikey

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If you want to look towards rose creams, Herb of Bulgaria has a Rose of Bulgaria cream that is also the same rose extract as the Saint Charles Shave soap. It's simply wonderful as well.

If you want to look towards rose creams, Herb of Bulgaria has a Rose of Bulgaria cream that is also the same rose extract as the Saint Charles Shave soap. It's simply wonderful as well.

Will definitely look into this cream, thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I do have SCS Savory Rose (two bottles in fact, use it with all my Rose creams/soaps)
T&H Rose Cream, QED Wild Roses, C. Salters Rose Cream, Soap Commander's "Love" (true Rose),
I also use SCS Savory Rose soap for travel.
A couple of other soaps & splashes from SCS to try are:
Smoke & Beads, Fairway
Mikey
What is the difference between Savory Rose and Bulgarian Rose?

What is the difference between Savory Rose and Bulgarian Rose?

Bulgarian Rose is made with pure Rose absolute essentials oil. Save the rose is not, just the rose fragrance. That’s why the price difference. I have both but the Bulgarian roses is better, also a truer rose scent. Savery Rose is good for the price, though.

Last edited:
Bulgarian Rose is made with pure Rose absolute essentials oil. Save the rose is not just the rose fragrance. That’s why the price difference. I have both but the Bulgarian roses for better

Thanks. How would you compare the Bulgarian to Soap Commander Love?

Top Bottom