What's new

SS Smaller than I remember

Well my 1953 SS has just arrived and I must say its smaller than I remember it and feels very light so the jury is out. So now I own a Futur (and love it) and a SS but still want more than all a FB. Question how does this stack up to the razor I want most of all the Fat Boy.

The SS is small, but shaves quite well. I have a Rocket on the way, which I hear is a heavier SS more or less. I get good shaves out of my FatBoy though and really like the heft.

Thought about an Aristocrat?

I recently acquired an SS from my grandfather. Previous to this, I'd never seen an SS before. I have a flair tip as well as a Merkur HD, but not a true SS.

I have to say, I was caught a little off-guard at how small it seemed. However, the shaves are incredible as this "small-ish" razor handles like a Ferrari around the curved facets of my face!

Glad you finally got sorted Over5feet.

You're gonna love the shaves that the SS gives you. I've got a 1974 Black Handled SuperSpeed which is from my birthday year. Along with the 1974 Gillette Super Silver blades they form a really great combo that is really special to me.

Of course, vintage Gillettes are like fruit pastilles....... you can't just have one. The more you get, the more you want :lol:

The SS is small, but shaves quite well. I have a Rocket on the way, which I hear is a heavier SS more or less. I get good shaves out of my FatBoy though and really like the heft.

Thought about an Aristocrat?
The Rocket is heavier. You'll be getting goood shaves :thumbup1:

I started with a Merkur 38C, which is a pretty big razor - longer than a Fatboy.

My razors in rotation now are all smaller. I find it makes it a bit more agile, which helps with the shave.

Give the SS a try for a week or two.

Well all done and where the futur is nice and heavy and does all the work for you I found the SS needs a little help,So the prep went a little like this fitted new Personna Platinum-Chrome blade had a quick shower while my brush soaked in hot water then whipped up a great lather (even if I do say so myself) applied a nice even coat and set to work. And yes while the razor is light and small (well that how it seems to me) it went through 2 days growth in 2 passes under the nose was easy and over all a great shave..... But now for the but.. I found it to light for me and a touch small in my hands as due to a lot of Extreme sports my hands are a little F**ked and not a lot of feeling in there. So maybe this one may get put to the back and I will wait to get the FB for those days when I want the vintage feel

I prefer my super speed to my fatboy actually. Get better shaves out of it.
Superspeed + feather = heaven.

Top Bottom