What's new

SS razor recommendations

Hi all, for my SS collection i currently have the tatara masamune and the razorock GC 68p, looking to add another SS razor to the collection, something a bit more efficient whilst maintaining the same or slightly reduced mildness. Looking at the EJ 316 now but I'm worried it might be too aggressive as my face is quite sensitive.

The 3 one six will be a bit more aggressive than the Masamune and the GC .68. Take a look at the Timeless scratch and dent section for the .68 stainless steel. The Timeless .68 is more comfortable than the GC and more efficient than the Masamune (with Masamune top cap). I've never seen a report of visible damage from the scratch and dent section but all sales are final.

I bought the .68 and .95, see this thread -

Don't know about the Tatara, but EJ 3ONE6 is more aggressive than your 0.68P. Better go for the Muhle Rocca. A tad less aggressive.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The ATT Windsor with an RH plate might please you. If it is too aggressive, exchange the plate for an MR Plate. The RH is regular/heavy and the MR is mild/regular. Great handle selection, too.

Mild and efficient will be difficult to achieve here... the JAWS or OC version of the GC you have is possibly your best bet. Try the Lupo and the Mamba 70 as well. None of those will break your bank and are easily resold on BST.

I might also go with something like the ATT Windsor as suggested above. Mild plate, of course.

how about the rockwell 6s ?
You wrote that you want a more effective razor. A few users complained about that Rockwell claiming even with the highest plates it is very mild.
You can't have more effectiveness with "the same or slightly reduced mildness"

You wrote that you want a more effective razor. A few users complained about that Rockwell claiming even with the highest plates it is very mild.
You can't have more effectiveness with "the same or slightly reduced mildness"
Yeah, I almost snarkily replied to the Rockwell suggestion with, "if you want a razor that doesn't cut hair" but I know we all have different beards...

There's always the Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades. Don't believe all you read, especially on forums. I think you can get one via Amazon with return privileges.

Stainless steel razors

Under $100: Razorock Lupo .72

Just over $100: Yates 921-M or H (I prefer H. Granted my H is brass, but the plate specs are the same as SS).

These are just the ones I have personal experience with.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi all, for my SS collection i currently have the tatara masamune and the razorock GC 68p, looking to add another SS razor to the collection, something a bit more efficient whilst maintaining the same or slightly reduced mildness. Looking at the EJ 316 now but I'm worried it might be too aggressive as my face is quite sensitive.
If your existing razors are good and you just want a bump up in efficentcy I would buy a few tucks & just try a Kai SS blade because it is slightly wider than a standard Gillette Astra SP by 9/1000 of a inch or .0045 inches per side. It will make your mild razors more enjoyable.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
If you want a stainless steel razor I would look at the Yaqi Tile head and it is a mild to tame mid range razor head. I have one and with a new blade it will deliver a close comfortable shave with not much for irritation. Lots of stainless steel razors out there that will give you a nice shave you want but just trying to find the right one because every one has a different shave technique.

Above the Tie Windsor! (Not the Windsor Pro).
SSRH is .80 and the SSMR is .40!
.80 is in incredibly efficient & very smooth.
I've never tried the .40 but I imagine that it would be milder but with good efficiency.
They have a 90 day test drive period so if you don't like one plate, you can swap to try another. Or if you don't like either, you can simply return it and get a refund. You also get to chose from different handles & finishes. They have amazing customer service and the Made in the USA Windsor has incredible build quality.

I have about 75 razors. I've never had a stainless steel razor. Can someone explain to me why I would want one?
Stainless steel is a very durable material, and depending on its grade, offers high corrosion resistance.

I wouldn't really argue that its much better or worse than aluminum, copper, brass, or titanium razors. But stainless will dramatically outlast plated zamak or plastic razors.

Stainless steel is a very durable material, and depending on its grade, offers high corrosion resistance.

I wouldn't really argue that its much better or worse than aluminum, copper, brass, or titanium razors. But stainless will dramatically outlast plated zamak or plastic razors.
Probably true with regards to plastic and zamak but I've got 50-100 year old Gillettes that are working well today and only one has been sent out for restorative work (the one that's 100+ years old). Point being, there's NO reason one needs a stainless steel razor when hundreds of thousands of old razors that cost as little as 50 cents when new work as well today as when they were new 50-100+ years ago. I still don't get the modern razor fad with all the discussion of blade gaps. Can you imagine our fathers or their fathers having these discussions? Crazy. Gillette solved shaving before the end of the 1960's.

Probably true with regards to plastic and zamak but I've got 50-100 year old Gillettes that are working well today and only one has been sent out for restorative work (the one that's 100+ years old). Point being, there's NO reason one needs a stainless steel razor when hundreds of thousands of old razors that cost as little as 50 cents when new work as well today as when they were new 50-100+ years ago. I still don't get the modern razor fad with all the discussion of blade gaps. Can you imagine our fathers or their fathers having these discussions? Crazy. Gillette solved shaving before the end of the 1960's.
I much enjoy an old gillette tech razor I've had passed down to me. Makes me happy to know there's like a million of these long lasting beauties floating around.

But I'm also a big fan of these more aggressive models like the r41 being made stainless (grande/z0). Really to me the different blade gaps and materials just allow more choice and personality. Neither products position in the market really diminishes the other. Plenty of shavers out there with all kinds of needs and budgets.

Also, since this thread is about stainless steel razor recommendations for OP - I'd like to throw in the aliexpress yaqi/dscosmetics razors. During a sale and with ali coupons/coins the prices can get very affordable. And I've had great shaves with the ds.s9 and ds.z0 razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom