What's new

SR3118/Simpson Major

SBAD is kicking in and I am looking at small brushes. Would the SR3118 compare at all in size/whatnot to the Simpson Major travel brush? Side by side pics would be nice too...

Thanks -
Dennis

Em said she would probably have the new supply in 2-3 weeks. The Simpson Major in Super is a great brush, and it looks pretty good in Best as well. Holds more lather than you would think.

You also can order it here.

I don't own a SR3118 - however I do own a SR, and have used quite a few SR's, and I DO own a Major - so I might be able to help.... at least a little.

The SR3118 - It is going to be a softer, more luxurious brush... plan and simple. It will be densly packed (but not as dense as the Major) with soft, luxurious silvertipped bristle, and the bristle will be longer than that of the major, thus giving it a softer, more "decadent" feel.

The Major - This brush is going to have stiffer/firmer bristles, cut shorter (to even further accentuate the bristles ridgidity) and the bristles themselves will be somewhat soft at the tip - but overall it will be a firm feeling, and will have quite a "scrubbing" sensation. While this brush works outstanding with creams it is a gift from the gods with shaving soaps. This is perhaps the nicest brush on the planet for shaving soaps. VERY tight/firmly packed head, small brush head (no mess/excess lather) and holds a TON of water for its size (with super badger bristles).

My knee-jerk would be - if you will primarily use the brush for creams - the SR is your ticket - and if you'll be primarily using soaps - the Simpson is the hands down victor.

Might want to check with Lee and see if he has any majors in stock (if you go that route) as with his special deals/offerings/discounts to B&B members, his price match guarantee, and his fast/free shipping... he is THE man to buy simpsons from.

Thanks Larrry and Joel. Good description on the Major. I will probably pick up the SR instead. It is cheaper and I already have a dense, scrubby brush. The SR should be more resilent than the Vulfix 2234 as well I imagine.

Dennis

Dennis,

I have the SR3118, and it's exactly as Joel describes it. It's a beautiful little brush, and I highly recommend it. And yes, as far as being resilient, very much so, unlike the Vulfix 2234.

John

hello dennis (your user id is mike???),

i have a savile row 3118 and absolutely love it. i have given away all the other brushes i have tried, if this is any indication. the brush is not too small for me as i have a goatee. i am even considering getting a 3120 as well. for me anything over 20 mm is huge and unnecessary.

hope this helps.

thanks,
mike

Mike02 said:
SBAD is kicking in and I am looking at small brushes. Would the SR3118 compare at all in size/whatnot to the Simpson Major travel brush? Side by side pics would be nice too...

Thanks -
Dennis

Just a thought. I am sure than the above comments are right on. It looks like Joel's comments are based on the Simpson Major Super, based on what he says about the hair, besides that it is the only version I've ever actually seen listed. Isn't it at least theoritically available in Best as well, which some folks, at least, find to be softer (as well as cheaper)?

moses said:
Just a thought. I am sure than the above comments are right on. It looks like Joel's comments are based on the Simpson Major Super, based on what he says about the hair, besides that it is the only version I've ever actually seen listed. Isn't it at least theoritically available in Best as well, which some folks, at least, find to be softer (as well as cheaper)?

Personally - the Simpson brushes I own in "best" are not as soft as the simpsons I own in "super."

YMMV

Hmm.... interesting. Seems like I remember you mentioning that before, actually. Of course other people with much experience have found the opposite. I guess it must be chalked up to Simpson variability?

Top Bottom