What's new

SR Shaving With Non-Dominant Hand?

Thank you all for you advice. I will start using my left hand in personal grooming and stropping for the next couple of weeks. Every little bit will help.

I am not sure if using it for stropping or other grooming will help. Especially the stropping. You might end up damaging your strop.
As it was suggested, I would say just do it and pay extra attention. If you really wanna train for it, before using the sharp razor, use popsicle sticks or tongue depressors with the left hand. When you get comfortable , you can transition to the real thing.
I have to say that I am impressed. I couldn’t imagine doing a full 3 pass shave with only my dominant hand. Good luck!

I personally used both hands straight shaving from day one (never with a DE though) as I knew I’d have to learn it so wanted to start as I meant to go on. Have to say the first few shaves were pretty terrifying as even my dominant right hand didn’t want to behave let alone my crazy left hand which seemed determined to want to stick the razor in my face. But what surprised me was just how quickly my left hand caught up. I could feel the difference every morning until after a few shaves in I had to stop for a second to remember which hand I was currently using. Now my left is every bit the equal of my right.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Tomorrow (Sunday) I'll try and not shave so that on Monday morning I can try both hands SR shaving.

If you don't hear from me again after Monday morning, you'll understand what happened.

ATG left cheek should be with right hand...

See the Time lapse I posted earlier of XTG and ATG, maybe you see something that opens more doors.

I do ATG right cheek, right hand, with my left hand reaching over the top
of my head to pull up on the skin in front of my right ear.

So, I figured I would just try to mirror image everything for the left side.

But so far, I have lacked the ambidexterity to do that,
and I always wind up ATG left cheek, right hand.

I do ATG right cheek, right hand, with my left hand reaching over the top
of my head to pull up on the skin in front of my right ear.

So, I figured I would just try to mirror image everything for the left side.

But so far, I have lacked the ambidexterity to do that,
and I always wind up ATG left cheek, right hand.
The hand that is stretching the skin should be behind the spine, pulling in the opposite direction of the edge.

If you do ATG right cheek, right hand, withyou left hand reaching over the top of your head to pull up on the skin, like you describe, the your are stretching the skin in the same direction your cutting. This will result in little bebefit vs pulling in the opposite direction.

The hand that is stretching the skin should be behind the spine, pulling in the opposite direction of the edge.

If you do ATG right cheek, right hand, withyou left hand reaching over the top of your head to pull up on the skin, like you describe, the your are stretching the skin in the same direction your cutting. This will result in little bebefit vs pulling in the opposite direction.

I disagree.
I think it makes the hairs stick up more.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have decided to postpone this challenge, what with the current pandemic and not wanting to put any more pressure on our local hospitals.

I'll try again once the curfew has been lifted. Until then I'll just stick with my dominant hand.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I’m impressed you can shave your whole face right handed!! You must be flexible!!!
I never knew that I was meant to not be able to.

The only time I used my left hand to shave was when I was using carts and in 2008 was laid up in Makati Med hospital with a busted right shoulder after a motorcycle crash in Mindanao.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Gaznix got me thinking. Maybe I can use my right hand only for a full face SR shave in all directions is because I often change my grip on my SR and reposition the scales as needed to keep them out of the way.

Is that normal?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Gaznix got me thinking. Maybe I can use my right hand only for a full face SR shave in all directions is because I often change my grip on my SR and reposition the scales as needed to keep them out of the way.

Is that normal?
I’ve attempted using one hand but couldn’t really figure it out.

What I suggest is practice and patience. When I transitioned from DE's to straights about 10 years ago, I used both hands from day one. As a result, I'm right handed but ambidextrous with a straight razor when shaving and stropping. Using both hands gives you more angles and may result in a closer shave in some areas.

Last edited:

Is that normal?
I have heard that others do it that way too. The few times early on that I tried it the sight lines were terrible (I won't SR shave where I can't see) and I just didn't have the shoulder and neck flexibility to do it. It seemed to me, as I remember that the biggest challenge in shaving with the non-dominant arm was proprioception-knowing where the blade edge was in space. That is where I found the exercise of brushing my hair with my non-dominant hand particularly helpful.

I have heard that others do it that way too. The few times early on that I tried it the sight lines were terrible (I won't SR shave where I can't see) and I just didn't have the shoulder and neck flexibility to do it. It seemed to me, as I remember that the biggest challenge in shaving with the non-dominant arm was proprioception-knowing where the blade edge was in space. That is where I found the exercise of brushing my hair with my non-dominant hand particularly helpful.

I use right hand right cheek. left for left cheek. WTG N to S.

neck WTG and ATG I'm usually left for right and right for left.

downward diagonal E to W problem area on right neck.....always a blind pass with left hand.

skin stretch upward jawline clearing on both jaws....right for left and left for right.

AGT diagonal swipes to clear problem areas are diagonal S to N shoulder to nose. right for left side. left for right side. (cheeks avoiding clipping the moustache)

back jawline neck to a little past jawline. right for left and left for right. these are diagonal S to N......shoulder to nose in both cases.

all of this is mandated by my beard layout or map......

I reposition scales a lot.

hope some of this makes sense to someone.

camo

Last edited:
Top Bottom