What's new

SR Shaving With Non-Dominant Hand?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In a couple of weeks I will be reaching my 100th SR shave. It has been a great journey of discovery so far and I am still improving with every shave. (Does that ever stop?) All my shaving so far has been with my dominant (right) hand and I am very satisfied with the results.

On my 101st SR shave I would like to start to include my non-dominant (left) hand in my SR shaving. I am thinking of doing this to give me another challenge.

Is there any pre-conditioning of my left hand that is recommended?

What tips are there for using your non-dominant hand in SR shaving?

Just check you angles and focus on pressure, or the lack thereof. Don't worry about grip but rather focus on blade position.

My biggest thing was angles...
Congrats on milestone and yes you will never stop learning, or at least you should not stop.

I am a righty, but have always noticed that with left I can do intricate things. I hope it holds true when my straight shows up.
I am enjoying this forum and never took a SR across my face.
I have 2 SR's somewhere away in a box. One from Great Grandfather that came here from Germany and another from Great Uncle's family from France. I wish I knew wher they where. As I recall they were daily shavers that were definitely used well.
Can't wait to get started. Been using a DE for over 3 years.

I am a righty, but have always noticed that with left I can do intricate things. I hope it holds true when my straight shows up.
I am enjoying this forum and never took a SR across my face.
I have 2 SR's somewhere away in a box. One from Great Grandfather that came here from Germany and another from Great Uncle's family from France. I wish I knew wher they where. As I recall they were daily shavers that were definitely used well.
Can't wait to get started. Been using a DE for over 3 years.
Impressive!
If they do need honing and you want to learn how to hone, buy a vintage razor to use as a beater razor. You don't want to mess up a family heirloom.
Don't forget, a strop is a must!

I think it is 99% "just do it" as the sneaker company uses as its marketing slogan and being "intentional" as those life coaches try to say and focus on what you are doing with the left hand.

I don't think there is much one can do to practice......though I do remember trying to brush my teeth with my left hand while trying to learn to shave with a straight, thinking that would help. I am not sure it did anything other than show me how difficult it was to brush my teeth that way. :) But I do think the more you try to use your non-dominant hand for other tasks, the easier it becomes.

Your brain allots space for each part of your body, to control it and receive information from itks mechanoreceptors. It also provides brain area for use of whatever you may be holding to complete tasks. It would not hurt to handle the razor off handed for periods each day. Unfold it, fold it, unfold it, bring it to your face, set it down on face or scalp, adjust your angle, remove it and fold it. The brain will map your moves in itks files of body maps. As you progress thes maps are more completely filled and and you learn better where the off hand razor is at any point in time when shaving with it. Closing the eyes while doing this can more deeply ingrain those saved moves into the body maps. Proprioception improves, balance improves, shaving improves (or whatever skill is being practiced).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
In a couple of weeks I will be reaching my 100th SR shave. It has been a great journey of discovery so far and I am still improving with every shave. (Does that ever stop?) All my shaving so far has been with my dominant (right) hand and I am very satisfied with the results.

On my 101st SR shave I would like to start to include my non-dominant (left) hand in my SR shaving. I am thinking of doing this to give me another challenge.

Is there any pre-conditioning of my left hand that is recommended?

What tips are there for using your non-dominant hand in SR shaving?
Just start doing it. I am very left handed and it me about two weeks to get comfortable with it.

I been shaving a long time with my right(dominant) hand only. I have used the left in the past but I dont miss anything by using the dominant. You dont have to but its your journey.

It’s actually more like shaving with the left arm rather than your left hand. Once you’ve established your grip and blade angle the hand doesn’t come into it very much.

I am a righty but going ATG or WTG with my left when needed I am quite comfortable. After a while it comes natural, I’m still trying to work out going ATG using my right hand on my left cheek area comfortably. Even well past my 100th straight shave there is always room for improvement and still trying to get a better shave.

Larry

Yes, there are things you can start doing right now to improve proprioception, strength and mobility of your non-dominant arm/shoulder (more important than non-dominant wrist as it shouldn't be moving much in a SR shave). The easiest exercise to integrate into your daily routine is to brush and comb your hair with your non-dominant hand. At first you will be shocked as to how weak you are on that side and how poor your dexterity is. You will make dramatic improvements in the first few weeks so stay with it. When you start shaving, brace your non-dominant arm with your dominant hand when you feel shakey or weak. That will go away in a while.

It will be worth it. The sight lines are much better and less gymnastics are required. I was lucky in that I took someone else's advice and started SR shaving with both hands from the very first shave. I am glad that I did. You will be too.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you all for you advice. I will start using my left hand in personal grooming and stropping for the next couple of weeks. Every little bit will help.

F33614E0-1D83-47EE-A7A2-3FFEAA921AF1.jpeg

Wrapping your razor can give you a bit of security to help you get used to weak handed stropping, if it at first seems awkward to you. It will steady the pivot and provide a fatter grip for better control.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. The first time I tried using a straight I naturally used both hands without thinking as it just seemed easier. Then again, I drive right handed and putt left handed and can use hammers, screwdrivers, spanners etc with either hand. I also throw darts right handed but play pool left handed and have always brushed my teeth with both hands so I wouldn't be too certain what my dominant hand is.

Top Bottom