What's new

SR Shaving w/ Vegan Soap

Anyone else find their vegan soap lather is borderline for SR shaves? I love Grooming Dept. for my DE shaves; however, today’s shave with GD Vertu a vegan soap was lackluster. The scent is amazing, but the lather kept disappearing and the slickness for SR shaving was not impressive. I finished the shave without any irritation or nicks but was left scratching my head. Maybe my SR shaves take longer to execute than DE but only by a few minutes. Any thoughts?
C49B780D-BDBF-4F19-8806-E4F19D5BFD43.jpeg
932D7FE0-573C-478B-B54B-5B70F4B17611.jpeg

I think it really depends on the soap. It's possible to make vegan soaps that have similar properties to the good tallow shaving soaps, so I would not rule them out.

I think it really depends on the soap. It's possible to make vegan soaps that have similar properties to the good tallow shaving soaps, so I would not rule them out.
I‘ve used vegan soaps for my intermittent DE shaves without issues; but today’s lather kept breaking down. I’ll try loading less water tomorrow to see if I can get better results.

Follow up. I dug down into the soap this morning. The soap had separated into layers, so all the good lathering ingredients were at the bottom. Top lathering wasn’t getting to the good stuff. Problem solved dig deep and bowl lather with GD Vertu soap. Cheers.
A8063397-280D-4007-8AA1-4D2BD584A949.jpeg

Oh no, that picture! You need to slowly remelt that down to get everything integrated and there is no guarantee it will work. I have a double boiler, but you can rig one up with two pots or a pot and a bowl. I was so confused about the first post... this last one explains it.

Oh no, that picture! You need to slowly remelt that down to get everything integrated and there is no guarantee it will work. I have a double boiler, but you can rig one up with two pots or a pot and a bowl. I was so confused about the first post... this last one explains it.
Never had this problem with other soaps over the years. I saw some older internet posts that called out other Grooming Dept soaps for mold issues. This one thankfully doesn’t have a mold issue but quality control is off a bit.

A quick follow up, I reached out to Mo last night. He responded in less than 5 minutes and offered to replace the tub with one from another batch. He noted “Your jar is from a different batch where some of the Stearic Acid crystallized due to rapid temperature changes when I made the soap (the soap was hot, but the room was cold).” The new tub is already on the way. Amazing customer service from one of my favorite soap makers!

I was going to say to contact him. He took care of me once before when he made a mistake in my order. He is a stand-up guy. Glad you didn't try to mess with it.

I was going to say to contact him. He took care of me once before when he made a mistake in my order. He is a stand-up guy. Glad you didn't try to mess with it.
I was over the moon to see him personally respond so quickly in the evenings hours. He earned a forever customer; his duck soaps are some of my favorites. Running a small business can be challenging at times and a few missteps are bound to happen along the way, how you respond to your customers speaks volumes in my books…Mohammad is a role model and proved his salt with me.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Anyone else find their vegan soap lather is borderline for SR shaves? I love Grooming Dept. for my DE shaves; however, today’s shave with GD Vertu a vegan soap was lackluster. The scent is amazing, but the lather kept disappearing and the slickness for SR shaving was not impressive. I finished the shave without any irritation or nicks but was left scratching my head. Maybe my SR shaves take longer to execute than DE but only by a few minutes. Any thoughts?
View attachment 1457419View attachment 1457421
I haven’t noticed a difference

For some reason, I thought you were living on the bottom of the planet and assumed the damage was due to time in transit. That was the only reason I recommended trying to salvage it as it wouldn’t be easily replaced.

For some reason, I thought you were living on the bottom of the planet and assumed the damage was due to time in transit. That was the only reason I recommended trying to salvage it as it wouldn’t be easily replaced.
Nope on top of the world😊 happy shaves

Top Bottom