What's new

SR Shaving Someone Else

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Is it easier for an experienced SR shaver to shave another man's face with a SR rather than his own face?

Have you tried to shave another's face with a SR?

It is NOT easier to shave someone else's face. I have shaved my wife's legs multiple times. My two Brothers-in-law have also had a couple of straight razor shaves. The difficult part is trying to find a reasonable and comfortable height and angle. It might be easier with a barber's chair, but we have made do with lawn chairs while camping.

I think @kohalajohn has some experience with this, when he gave free SR shaves in a clown mask. :straight:

The answer's a bit trickier than you'd expect.

Maybe for an absolutely new beginner, who has no shave technique and hasn't learned to switch from dominant to alternate hands. Because when standing behind another fella you can use your dominant hand all the time.

But no, for those of us with some practice in, we can shave our own faces much more easily. We have years of practice doing our own faces. We could, with practice, get good at shaving another fella, and that's what barbers are. But we're not barbers. I found it harder than shaving my own face.

I think one of the reasons folk were freaked out, (in an enjoyable theatre way) when I did that, was they knew the guy in the mask wasn't a barber, and was probably not at all trained in what he was doing.

I didn't nick anybody, so that's good. But if I was going to do it again, I"d just shave the sides and leave the goatee area alone.

I was speaking to a barber who gives straight (shavette) shaves and mentioned I use a straight. He said he tried to shave himself once and "made ribbons of my face". He said that as he was so used to shaving others he couldn't get the angles right to shave himself. He said he gives about 20 shaves per week, so would be well used to handling the shavette.

I would assume that if you are a straight user you could shave someone else, but it would take longer than shaving yourself and the results might not ba as good. Ymmv as always.

No, I wouldn't do it. To me shaving is too personal. I do help my son to get started with a DE, but then again I once used to change his diapers. Every other person has do his/her own shaving. No diaper changing experience no shave.

I wouldn't even let someone shave me either... unless the circumstances were very special.

3bcfc046ca5219bb4045f2e830442530.jpg

Saraphim shaved his dad, and that's cool.

my dad wants no part of looking at a straight, much less watching me shave, and I don't want to shave him anyway. it's a relationship quaility thing.

I've shaved a couple women. legs are easy. tighter spots like armpits are harder. a small, short, smiling blade is the easiest to work.

the biggest thing I've found early on is not getting good pressure feedback, so ask early and often. having her help stretch skin if able is nice too.

Top Bottom