What's new

SR shaving and muscle memory

When I think back to when I first started shaving with a straight razor I realize a lot of the learning process was developing muscle memory. I am a natural lefty, so the switching hands was not the hard part. I have grown up and lived in a right handed world, so much of what I do is already using both sides of my brain. It is not uncommon for new SR shavers to have difficulty on the harder parts of the face, e.g. upper lip, chin, lower lip and for some guys, the neck can give them trouble. Once you have made the mental and monetary commitment to SR shaving it can be very discouraging to get cuts, irritation, weepers...or even worse, slices. These most often occur on those tougher areas of the face. The challenging angles, thickness of the stubble can make these areas very difficult and intimidating for someone who is new. For some the experience is so discouraging they pack it in and put their SR in the display cabinet. There are ways around this to make the journey to a full face SR shave a bit easier.

And this is where muscle memory comes in. One piece of advice I often -- no, always -- give to newbie straight shavers is to shave those easy parts of the face, in particular the fleshy cheeks, side burn area and maybe neck with their SR. A great feeling accomplishment can arise from this small task. Then for those difficult areas I suggest you do a first pass with a DE or SE to clear away the thickest, most stubborn parts of the stubble. Then follow up with a pass with your SR to these same areas. This will help to develop muscle memory and confidence for shaving those areas. Gradually, when you are more comfortable, you can cut into those more difficult areas with a first pass of your SR. Over a very short period of time you will be shaving your whole face -- blood and irritation free -- with your SR and you can shelve your DE/SE for good.

Some may say this is cheating and a REAL SR shaver wouldn't dare adopt "training wheels" like this. I say phooey on those naysayers. The objective is to reach a point where you are getting a great SR shave, feel accomplished and encouraged to continue with SR shaving for the rest of your days on this tiny planet. Guys I know who adopted this approach swear by it now to newbie shavers they are mentoring. Enjoy your SR shave...its the only way to go. That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :pipe:

Whoa, you just made me realize I could try this:

• 1st pass) Mostly DE
  • 2nd pass) use the SR to clean up.

Reading and watching shaving videos often have it:

• 1st pass) SR as much as you can
  • 2nd pass) finish up with DE

Mind blown...

I'll try that for straight razor shave #5!

Whoa, you just made me realize I could try this:

• 1st pass) Mostly DE
  • 2nd pass) use the SR to clean up.

Reading and watching shaving videos often have it:

• 1st pass) SR as much as you can
  • 2nd pass) finish up with DE

Mind blown...

I'll try that for straight razor shave #5!
Let me know how it works for you.

This is exactly how I learned to use a straight razor. I did the easy parts for awhile with straight razor and the rest with my DE. It allowed me to train my offhand better, and get more confident with my strokes. I also felt more enthusiastic, because I was able to see myself progressing along.

I agree with whatever means that allows an individual to meet their final objective of enjoying the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. smooth, clean, irritation free is a wonderful world!!!!

camo

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think the best advice I heard was to brush your teeth, comb your hair, wash your parts, with your non-dominant hand.

This helps a bit when you start switching hands with your razor. You don't have to change hands but it does make some things go easier in the long run.

I started cut throat shaving in May and can’t look back. I’m having fun! I use both hands and have gotten the technique down. Using a cut throat is enjoyable and gives me much pride knowing our forefathers used one back in 1750.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I agree with the OP in some respects. I could have used "training wheels" but forced myself not to. I'm glad that I did it that way as it forced me to learn quicker.

If someone is getting to the strange where they are thinking of giving up SR shaving, it is then that I would suggest they consider mixing their SR shave with a DE or (heaven forbid) a cart until they can build up their skill base.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I DE shave in the morning. I go for comfort and am ok with not getting the closest shave always. I would consider a second shave in the evening if it was required. I think I might SR shave some nights, see how far I can confidently take it and leave the cleanup for the morning DE shave. Might be a good compromise. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Hahaha.......I put the tablet down and picked the SR up! I just had a decent shave with the Dorko 6/8 I bought about 30 years ago and have used maybe 20 times. I recently had it honed in preparation for usage. I always like the idea of SR shaving, come back to it, struggle etc. It was nice to finish the night off this way.

Top Bottom