What's new

Sr problems

@steveclarkus I will have to disagree to some extent with your statement, film has some pluses like cost compared to a quality JNAT and films are also take up a lot less room as you can store them in a drawer compared to said JNAT or synthetic stones and if you drop the film it was break and you dont have to lap the film but I personally love the challenge of using a natural stone trying to unlock its potential looking at the color of the slurry and watching it ride up in the edge and feeling the edge come to life but then my Mentor Alfredo instilled upon me one phrase I will always carry with me which is “ Hone, Shave, Repeat”

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@steveclarkus I will have to disagree to some extent with your statement, film has some pluses like cost compared to a quality JNAT and films are also take up a lot less room as you can store them in a drawer compared to said JNAT or synthetic stones and if you drop the film it was break and you dont have to lap the film but I personally love the challenge of using a natural stone trying to unlock its potential looking at the color of the slurry and watching it ride up in the edge and feeling the edge come to life but then my Mentor Alfredo instilled upon me one phrase I will always carry with me which is “ Hone, Shave, Repeat”
I would really enjoy acquiring and learning naturals, however, I no longer hone enough to justify the cost. After each shave I do 50 laps on 200k pasted balsa and the edge never deteriorates. I have razors that haven’t been honed in two years.

I would really enjoy acquiring and learning naturals, however, I no longer hone enough to justify the cost. After each shave I do 50 laps on 200k pasted balsa and the edge never deteriorates. I have razors that haven’t been honed in two years.

If an edge is maintained by whatever method a user chooses like a pasted strop, synthetic 12k and above, JNAT, coti or some other type of natural finisher the edge should last a really long time buy just doing some laps occasionally, I’m not sure I agree with doing 50 laps on a 200k pasted balsa is necessary every single time but if it works for you then that’s all that matters.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If an edge is maintained by whatever method a user chooses like a pasted strop, synthetic 12k and above, JNAT, coti or some other type of natural finisher the edge should last a really long time buy just doing some laps occasionally, I’m not sure I agree with doing 50 laps on a 200k pasted balsa is necessary every single time but if it works for you then that’s all that matters.
All I can say is they it works perfectly and there in never any edge deterioration. Edge
Is always the same incredibly sharp edge. It is part of the Method. As you say “whatever method the user chooses to use”; that is the method I have used for two years and see no reason to deviate.

Another thought for the OP. Maybe you just need to get your SR mojo back, esp if it has been 4 months.

I have been shaving with DEs for the past 6 month on some newly acquired razors. I put a straight to my face a couple of weeks ago and shredded my face. I’d forgotten just how sharp they are and how light the pressure needs to be. Lots of cuts, but a really close shave.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom