What's new

SR help

Guys, I have been wet shaving all of my life, and I started shaving w/ a de around four years ago. Lately, I have been wanting to experience straight razor shaving. So far, I have been looking at some of the cheper Dovo's and Thiers-Issards for my first razor at classic shaving and vintage blades. Do you feel that one of these razors will work okay for me? Also, I have been looking at different strops. Any reccomendations? Can someone explain the 5/8 and 6/8 etc. size differences in the razors? What about carbon or stainless steel? So far, I like the carbon the best. Should I go ahead and purchase a hone. I would really appreciate some guidance on this. Happy New Year to all!

Either Dovo or TI would work well.

For size, the smaller ones are lighter and more manuverable, the bigger ones have a bit more heft to plow though dense growth, but are a bit unwieldy in tight spaces like under the chin and jawline.

Carbon vs stainless is overblown in my opinion. Some say Stainless edges last longer, but Carbon can take a sharper edge. If they are honed correctly from the start they should perform equally well.

For strops, get the least inexpensive one you can find that is of good quality. You will more than likely put a few nice size nicks in it so no need to spend a fortune on one till you get your technique down.

for hones, I would wait on that, figuring out how to use and strop a straight razor will be enough to keep you busy for awhile, honing is a completely different aspect that you can get to when you figure out this is really what you want to do.

I checked out whippedog.com and found that website interesting. Thanks for the link. This is going to be a exciting adventure. :thumbup:

Everyone has different answers to these... and i am sure people will chime in. Straights are lots of fun ...

So far, I have been looking at some of the cheper Dovo's and Thiers-Issards for my first razor at classic shaving and vintage blades. Do you feel that one of these razors will work okay for me?

any shave ready blade should work from either of those companies...
there are some companies that sell vintage, shave ready blades for less than $50.... most recommend a second blade for comparison of shave ready and if you send one away to get sharpened, if you don't hone..

, I have been looking at different strops. Any reccomendations?
the cheapest one available to you. you are gonna nick it while practicing and using. I bought a star shaving one off of bay for $20 or so. it worked nicely

Can someone explain the 5/8 and 6/8 etc. size differences in the razors?

4/8 is half an inch measurement from edge to spine typically... each 1/8 is 2/16 of an inch. 8/8 being 1 inch. size is a personal preference and 5/8 seems what most people recommend to begin.

What about carbon or stainless steel?
carbon steel seem to be the most prevalent of vintage and current models..

Should I go ahead and purchase a hone.
maybe right now just a strop and some balsa wood with paste.

Happy New Year to all!
Happy new year to you too

Look for some good stuff here on the BST.

My personal opinion, buy the straight you like... you'll probably regret not buying it first. wait on buying a nice strop, and enjoy.

take your time, though, no need to rush...

I ordered a W.C. Heimerdinger from Larry at whippeddog.com! I decided to go ahead and have this straight refurbished. I cant wait to get it and practice my first straight razor shave. Thank you everyone!

Either Dovo or TI would work well.

For size, the smaller ones are lighter and more manuverable, the bigger ones have a bit more heft to plow though dense growth, but are a bit unwieldy in tight spaces like under the chin and jawline.

Carbon vs stainless is overblown in my opinion. Some say Stainless edges last longer, but Carbon can take a sharper edge. If they are honed correctly from the start they should perform equally well.

For strops, get the least inexpensive one you can find that is of good quality. You will more than likely put a few nice size nicks in it so no need to spend a fortune on one till you get your technique down.

for hones, I would wait on that, figuring out how to use and strop a straight razor will be enough to keep you busy for awhile, honing is a completely different aspect that you can get to when you figure out this is really what you want to do.

Very sound advice!

Top Bottom