What's new

SR Essentials: Natural Sponge

I just picked up a natural Mediterranean Wool Sponge to add to my SR shaving kit. The natural sponge was a replacement for a neon green dish sponge that I’ve been using to wipe the blade between passes. Once again the natural material is light years ahead of the synthetic in terms of performance and feel. If you don’t yet have this item in your SR shaving kit, do yourself a favour and pick one up immediately.

A natural sponge is an incredibly versatile piece of equipment. It’s excellent for wiping the blade clean between passes. Much softer than a synthetic. Under 10x magnification the structure of the sponge reveals itself as an open lattice of very fines hairs. The material is easily compressible with amazing bounce back and elasticity. It easily conforms to the shape of the blade to wipe it clean.

Where natural sponges really shine is the post shave rinse. Gone are the days of splashing like a mad man and getting water everywhere. Gone are the days of making due with a rough cotton wash cloth on freshly shaved skin. The sponge elevates the rinse to a highlight of the shaving experience. Luxuriously soft it feels incredible as you wipe the last of the suds away. The sponge holds huge amounts of water and conforms to every nook and cranny of your face. Getting that last bit out from behind your ears or the back of your neck is no issue at all.

There many species of sponge available. I settled on the Wool Sponge which is known for its softness and dense structure. It is recommended for cleaning delicate finishes without scratching and seems well suited to straight razors. If you get a large piece you can easily cut it down to your desired size with a sharp knife or scissors.

I couldn’t be more happy with the performance. Finally the neon green, synthetic, monstrosity is gone and I have a natural item that works better, looks better, and better compliments the rest of my den.

Interesting, I will have to consider getting one. Though I wonder if there is something in between the common kitchen sponge and a natural sponge? I have been using one of those "pop-up" sponges which will hold a lot of water and is generally better (softer and holds more water) than a Scotch-Brite sponge. But even for dish washing and kitchen cleanup I have never found a great sponge.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just picked up a natural Mediterranean Wool Sponge to add to my SR shaving kit. The natural sponge was a replacement for a neon green dish sponge that I’ve been using to wipe the blade between passes. Once again the natural material is light years ahead of the synthetic in terms of performance and feel. If you don’t yet have this item in your SR shaving kit, do yourself a favour and pick one up immediately.

A natural sponge is an incredibly versatile piece of equipment. It’s excellent for wiping the blade clean between passes. Much softer than a synthetic. Under 10x magnification the structure of the sponge reveals itself as an open lattice of very fines hairs. The material is easily compressible with amazing bounce back and elasticity. It easily conforms to the shape of the blade to wipe it clean.

Where natural sponges really shine is the post shave rinse. Gone are the days of splashing like a mad man and getting water everywhere. Gone are the days of making due with a rough cotton wash cloth on freshly shaved skin. The sponge elevates the rinse to a highlight of the shaving experience. Luxuriously soft it feels incredible as you wipe the last of the suds away. The sponge holds huge amounts of water and conforms to every nook and cranny of your face. Getting that last bit out from behind your ears or the back of your neck is no issue at all.

There many species of sponge available. I settled on the Wool Sponge which is known for its softness and dense structure. It is recommended for cleaning delicate finishes without scratching and seems well suited to straight razors. If you get a large piece you can easily cut it down to your desired size with a sharp knife or scissors.

I couldn’t be more happy with the performance. Finally the neon green, synthetic, monstrosity is gone and I have a natural item that works better, looks better, and better compliments the rest of my den.
My God man! Why are you bringing this to my attention. I have, heretofore, been perfectly happy with my lime green (I kid you not) kitchen sponge. And now you are tempting me to participate I’m the killing of an innocent little sea creature. You enabler! Shame!

My God man! Why are you bringing this to my attention. I have, heretofore, been perfectly happy with my lime green (I kid you not) kitchen sponge. And now you are tempting me to participate I’m the killing of an innocent little sea creature. You enabler! Shame!
It’s a pretty cost effective upgrade. Give it a try when the current one gets worn out. I think you will like it.

@Tomo do you have a link to and/or pic of this Mediterranean Wool Sponge?

Thanks for letting me know about another shaving accessory I didn't know I needed.
Always happy to enable.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get away with sneaking in another clutter item into Her bathroom. I've already displaced an entire shelf of wind-up toys (don't ask) with splashes. I'm treading lightly, here, else be banished to the small, spare, guest bathroom.

How long have you been using it? Does it get funky? I rinse the cheap Ocelo sponges I use with super hot water, but I still toss them eventually.

How long have you been using it? Does it get funky? I rinse the cheap Ocelo sponges I use with super hot water, but I still toss them eventually.
Just started with mine so not sure how long they last for. The cheap synthetics went several months before they got replaced. The natural one seems to dry faster as the structure is more open. Apparently they last a long time and are naturally resistant to funk. I expect they would fair similarly to a badger brush in that department and it could depend on the soap that’s being used and how they are stored.

Mine cost $26 AUD and I cut it in half so it’s not a huge investment. Plus there’s a spare ready to go.

You can soak synthetic sponges in diluted bleach - only takes a few minutes - not sure about natural sponges. I am a big proponent of thin, inexpensive wash clothes that come in packs of about 25. Just toss them in the wash with your clothes. I use them to wipe my razors after stropping, but I have not actually used the wash clothes while shaving.

I don't understand the wiping on sponge thing. I learned my lesson about rinsing under the tap. I like honing, but not when it is making up for clumsiness. Now I fill my sink with water and wave the razor around in it, presto, no lather.

I admit I've ordered one of these sponges, but it's for my face, because I would love a better way to get the lather off after the shave than doing a couple of dozen splashes.

I don't understand the wiping on sponge thing. I learned my lesson about rinsing under the tap. I like honing, but not when it is making up for clumsiness. Now I fill my sink with water and wave the razor around in it, presto, no lather.

I admit I've ordered one of these sponges, but it's for my face, because I would love a better way to get the lather off after the shave than doing a couple of dozen splashes.
I got on board with blade wiping for a few reasons. First I like to sit my lather bowl in sink with some warm water during the shave. This makes rinsing inconvenient. Second it helps to avoid accidentally getting water into the pivot. I also find the clean up is also easier as you don’t get a ring of soap and stubble in the sink.

I do like the idea of squishing the blade in a sink full of water though. That seems like a better solution to the tap if your careful not to ding the sides.

Enjoy the sponge! As a post shave tool it’s actually essential a nice to have for all wet shavers. With so may people getting on board it might be time for a sponge acquisition thread… 🤔

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm still trying to figure out how to get away with sneaking in another clutter item into Her bathroom. I've already displaced an entire shelf of wind-up toys (don't ask) with splashes. I'm treading lightly, here, else be banished to the small, spare, guest bathroom.
I feel your pain brother.

Top Bottom