What's new

SR and neck stubble help. And, how long will this take?

Ok...so your the first person to bring up speed. Not something I've thought of before. Although, I'm certainly not trying to "skip rocks" across my face, I def will be trying this slowing down idea. I've tried angles and pulling with the neck area...for me, I fire blanks with that. But, the slowing down stuff...good thoughts. Appreciate it!

Absolutely agree that pulling is essential. What's been helping me improve my shaving is not only stretching the skin, but also displacing it as much as possible from it's original location. This is easier to explain using the gonial angle of your jaw as an example. I stretch and pull the skin so far that the hair patch that would normally be in my neck "mounts up" on the jaw, which allows me to shave it very easily.
I've a few stubborn depressions in my neck and the only way I can shave them is by displacing them sideways!

Good luck mate!

Ok...so your the first person to bring up speed. Not something I've thought of before. Although, I'm certainly not trying to "skip rocks" across my face, I def will be trying this slowing down idea. I've tried angles and pulling with the neck area...for me, I fire blanks with that. But, the slowing down stuff...good thoughts. Appreciate it!

I hope it helps you. I find about 1cm (1/2 inch) per second is good for me

My only advice would be - don't get greedy, in terms of the number of strokes you use on the neck. As pointed out above, the neck is a cylinder: if you try to flatten it and shave a wide area in one stroke, you will not get optimally close. And for me, this seems to increase the chance of cuts. Be patient and shave only what naturally contacts the edge once you've stretched the skin.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
One of the key things, for me, is proper prep. For me this is very important for my neck. I copied this from something I had written late last year. It was a welcome post but I think it also applies to straight razor shaving too:
I like the advice you have been given. I really like Proraso shaving cream.

Now . . . prediction:
Your first, second, third shaves will go pretty well. Likely you will be doing it all wrong :) but it takes a bit of time for the damage to accumulate to the point where it hurts. You are likely to conclude that you have the wrong blade or razor and want to change something in your setup. That might not be the best idea.

You might want to concentrate on three things. 1) Prep. 2) Angle of your razor. 3) lightness of touch.

1) For Prep search for Kyle's prep (or lather up and then put a washcloth with hot water on it over your face for a minute. Especially important for the neck area. The soap and water will swell up and soften the whiskers even more than the shower did. This makes them easier to cut and not tug . . . add some more lather and start shaving)
2) Angle . . . as close to perpendicular as you can and still be cutting whiskers . . .over time you will figure out how to change the angle as you go over your jaw to your neck.
3) Lightness of touch . . . you don't want to be pressing . . . just the weight of the razor should do.
4) Try not to obsess about feeling perfectly smooth. Nobody is getting that close to you that they can see something you don't . . . with your glasses on of course. Perhaps limit yourself to with the grain passes. (now this is very very hard advice to take. I didn't take it and I lived. Do what your face allows you to do without pain)

Welcome to the club and best of luck.

Top Bottom