What's new

sr 208 vs. PJ2

I am looking to buy a new brush. I am leaning heavily towards the PJ2 super. I currently own a SR 208 and love it. What are the major differences in these two brushes? What else might you suggest as a second brush?

Scott,

Everyone knows that you need at least TWO brushes, if for nothing else, to allow proper drying time between shaves!

Randy

Randy,

I do NOT agree; one brush suffices, all the way; if our grandfathers could do it, then we can do it, with one brush; more brushes is pure redundancy...:001_rolle

Peter

drP said:
Randy,

I do NOT agree; one brush suffices, all the way; if our grandfathers could do it, then we can do it, with one brush; more brushes is pure redundancy...:001_rolle

Peter

Ah, yes but brushes dried out more quickly in the old days...

Seriously. I started with a 208 and it worked well with both soaps and creams. I kept reading about what a mop it was by people who prefer stiffer brushes so I began to covet another brush. I ended up buying the Rooney Super (in Style #1 Med) which is about the same size as the 208. I like them both equally and now realize that I could have continued to use the Savile Row brush and been fine.
You don't have to get a stiffer brush but if you feel you must -- the Rooney only cost $99 from Classic Shaving.

drP said:
Randy,

Peter

And this from a man with an almost 3 month rotation of brushes on hand! :lol:

BTW, w/b Peter!

Randy

Brandon:

Like others have mentioned, NEED has nothing to do with it! It's purely WANT....and I want way too much!:001_rolle

I started with a Vulfix 2235 and it too is on the soft side like the SR 208. I still have the 2235 along with, well, many other brushes now. I've really enjoyed most of them but I have sold 2 of them along the way. It really costs you very little to experiment with other brushes as you can always sell them right here at B&B!

I like my soft brushes, my stiff brushes, my large brushes, and my small brushes. For me it's the variety of the shaves that adds so much more enjoyment to what we do!

(By the way, the PJ2 is a great brush):biggrin:

let me add a twist to this question as im in a very similar boat.

i own a 208. its very pleasant, very soft, makes great lather (specially with creams), doesn't irritate my skin.

however, could someone recommend a brush perhaps a tad stiffer AND one that is not so dome shaped at the top. i don't want a purely flat brush but i'd like to use a brush with less of a DOME of badger hair.

~J

I own two Shavemacs and find them to be superb brushes. They have a beautiful round shape with softness making it good for creams, but densely packed and stiff enough tips to whip up a good lather with soap. Definitely a brand of brush worth considering to add to your collection.

Shane

The PJ2 will have firmer bristles (less bending), but still very soft at the tips. More of a scrubbing action than the SR-208.

brando said:
Thanks Scotto.

That is just what I wanted to know.

Do you know the knot size of the PJ2?
I believe that the PJ2 is listed at a 22mm bristle knot. If it is like the PJ3, however, this is a very conservative measurement, and it may be as much as 2mm bigger.

I recommend the Tulip 3. It's stiffer than the SR-208, but yet soft on the tips. I have both, love them equally.
By the way www.emsplace.com has page with a chart on Simpsons brush measurements.

Regards
John

Hello Gents,

I too am looking for brush #2. And these two are in the running along with the Shavemac XL. I already have a floppy v2234 and I do not mind floppy but I don't know the difference either. I am more interested in ease and quality of lather. As this will probably be the only other brush I purchase (the brushes don't excite me as much as the other wonderful stuff).

Any input as to thoughts and feelings about the the three would be great!

Top Bottom