What's new

Squeeze sac filler mod for cartridges

Thought it was worth giving this useful information a bump. My own efforts:

proxy.php

Pilot Petit1 on the left, the other is a Junior K. The Pilot takes a special short cartridge. I actually made the converter a little longer than I'd estimated, and looking through the transparent barrel, it is exactly the maximum length it can be. Works great. The Junior K takes international short cartridges. Slight problem there, although it works. The inside diameter of the barrel is so small that the added width of the sac on the the outside of the cartridge makes it a tight fit. Over time that might wear the sac down or make it come loose. It's good for now, though, and I probably won't use the Junior K much after it's emptied anyway.

It's almost a shame that I don't have more pens where I need to do this.

The inside diameter of the barrel is so small that the added width of the sac on the the outside of the cartridge makes it a tight fit. Over time that might wear the sac down or make it come loose. It's good for now, though, and I probably won't use the Junior K much after it's emptied anyway.

I've heard people talc their sacs to help prolong their life and maintain pliability. I wonder if that wouldn't also help alleviate some friction. Hopefully, a far more experienced pen guy will come along and comment. I wouldn't advise you to do it just on my recommendation, but that's what I came up with...

Nice work on the Petit. I have a couple of those laying around that I haven't used yet. I figured that I would just refill them with a syringe, but this would more fun.

i have a couple of cheap chinese pens on the way for myself for just such a project, thanks for the post im going to give this one a try

Nemo, that's a great tutorial. I just made my own self-filling cartridge, took about two minutes. I think I might make one for the Stipula Passaporto I like to keep in my pocket.

I totally forgot about this I thought my hero was down for the count it may rescue it if the carts I have fit okay

the hero blew up remember the bad converter,... was all in the body section and took a really narrow converter as a regular one wouldnt fit,... all that orange goop i had in the pictures was in the body and there was an insert inside that cam loose making a eye drop impossible,.. the a new converter was more then the pen it was kind of dead,.. even a regular size cart would have trouble fitting in its narrow body,.. but if i cut the cart down and put the sac in i could very well make use of the pen,.. you know,... to send to brian

Plus Connie, Sam and Ed really like watching me get my hands covered in ink trying stuff out

btw to anyone who forgot this was the ---> heros fate<----

Last edited:
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I just ordered a sac and some shellac and am going to give this a try with my Kaweko AL Sport. I have some carts for it, but want to try other inks as well in it. Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I just ordered a sac and some shellac and am going to give this a try with my Kaweko AL Sport. I have some carts for it, but want to try other inks as well in it. Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

If any thread deserves resurrection, it is this one. A devilishly brilliant hack!

I gotta try this with my skinny Waterman. Regular cartridges are too fat to plug into the section, and I have not been able to find the cartridges thin enough to fit it.

Really good idea, thanks for the tip. The only tweak I have made is to put a little french chalk on the bulb in case to reduce the chance of it catching on the inside of the barrel.

I gotta try this with my skinny Waterman. Regular cartridges are too fat to plug into the section, and I have not been able to find the cartridges thin enough to fit it.

Waterman Mini Cartridges are available from amazon and they should fit.

If anyone has a slimline Sheaffer Targa and have trouble finding Sheaffer slimline cartridges then the Waterman mini cartridges will fit.

Top Bottom