What's new

Squeaky Fat Boy

My Fat Boy started squeaking when I open/close the TTO. The noise seems to be coming from the twist knob. Any recommendations for eliminating? I suspect a drop of sewing machine oil might work the best but thought I would check in with you guys to see if there might be something better. Thx

Sometimes a swish in soapy water will leave enough soap in there to stop the squeak!

If the swish (above) doesn't work, I have had good luck with a small amount of mineral oil dripped into strategic places on my razors. I used to soak them in mineral oil but Chris cured me of that. Good luck! :thumbup:

Don

P

Pjotr

Although I've heard it's not good to use oil on razor mechanisms, I'd drop some olive oil down the centre. It's a lot friendlier than mineral oils, doesn't stink and gradually washes out.

Not to get off topic too much, but what are the downsides to using mineral oil?

I figured it was the appropriate lube for TTO mechanisms.

I just took a squeaky fatboy to my friend's jewelry shop and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. Not only did it take the squeak away by cleaning out the whiskers and cream crud from the rod and knob, but it also fixed the knob that was not tightening smoothly and was catching on something. It now spins the doors shut freely and has the correct final quarter turn "snug" that it should have. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that the ultrasonic removed all the paint from the numbers that was perfect! Argh!

You can also carefully trying to pour a thin stream of boiling water down the shaft from both directions while working the tension knob, two pairs of hands is a bonus...

P

Pjotr

Not to get off topic too much, but what are the downsides to using mineral oil?

I figured it was the appropriate lube for TTO mechanisms.

It attracts crud and when it doesn't get used for a while that dries up and leaves a hard layer of crud. That's my understanding of it. But on the other hand if the razor is part of your rotation there is nothing against oiling it IMHO. I've got nothing against mineral oil per se, I just think using olive oil is much nicer, doesn't smell and as olive oil is used in shaving products it seems more compatible to skin health.

Break-Free is a gun lubricant/cleaner in one.

It's pretty decent stuff for cleaning guns.

Their website is here: http://www.break-free.com/

Good luck,
Dave

P.S. This makes me wonder about other sorts of gun cleaning solutions like Hoppe's. Anyone ever use them to clean a razor?

Top Bottom