What's new

Spyderco and Bevel Setting

Ha! I didn't even see the free shipping, I just remembered a guy saying that he ordered a 5 pound stone from them once and was charged $5 for shipping.
My old eyes did not see it at first as well.
But as a bargain seeker, I got it automatically on check out!
:biggrin1:

Do you also lap them?
Also, you will need to lap them with use. The Chosera is harder than most other 1K bevel setters, so they wear more slowly, but they will still dish with use.

You won't have to lap an Arkansas Stone (from Dan's or Sharpening Supplies) when you first get it, but over time, it will require being lapped to keep it flat (it may be a LONG time between lappings if you are just using it on straights).

Other natural options do exist. CKTG also has an Amakusa Stone, which is supposedly very fast for a natural, and when the slurry breaks down leaves a quite nice edge. It gets very high ratings on their site. It's a large stone, about 8x3x2. I haven't used one, but have been curious for a long time on this stone. I don't know how it wears, so I'm not sure on frequency of lapping. It'll most likely need lapped when new.

The only 1Kish bevel setter you won't have to worry about lapping (ever) is the DMT Extra Fine. You can get them in a variety of sizes, 2x6, 3x8, 2.5x11.5. Ok, I think there are other 1Kish diamond plates, but DMT is the most widely used that I know of.

Did you order one? Have you used it? What are your impressions?

That is by far the best price I have seen on a Chosera 1K.

Top Bottom