What's new

Spyderco and Bevel Setting

I currently have the M, F, & UF Spyderco hones and was wondering what a good stone would be to set a bevel on a brand new razor. I have tried using the medium Spyderco hone but it is taking forever! Does anyone have any single stone recommendations? I was thinking that just getting a Norton 4k/8k would probably be the best option however, I was looking and saw a King 1k/6k. I thought the King would be better since it does not over lap with the Spyderco hones and would be a bit better and taking out chips and dings should any occur.

The most popular one here for bevel setting is the Chosera 1k. It's what I got after the King 1k. Very happy with it.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I agree with the above, the chosera 1k. It's expensive, but very thick and will last a LONG time. I've had mine over a year and its still 13/16 thick.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I wish they would offer the choseras in a 1/2" thick version at a discounted price. They are great stones, but pricey.

Your Spyderco Medium is reported to be around 4K, and the Fine around 9K. So if you got a Norton 4K/8K, it's all overlap. The King 1K/6K is half overlap. What you want is a 1K stone. Chosera 1K, DMT Extra Fine, Norton 1K, King 1K... something along those lines.

I got the Chosera 800 after the Norton 1k and King 1k. I love it! It is smooth, and cuts very well! I leaves a nicer edge than the Norton 1k and takes little work on 4k to erase scratches.

ID love to try a 1k Chosera but as for now I am happy.

I had a King 1k...worked fine. My only issue was having to soak it. Went to a Naniwa 1k SS excellent stone for a reasonable price. Might get a Chosera one day just because...............

a soft Arkansas is pretty cheap and makes for a nice bevel setter.
This is true, very inexpensive.
4th from top of THIS PAGE: Soft Arkansas Stone, 8"x3"x1/2", $22.95
4th from top of THIS PAGE: Soft Arkansas Stone, 8"x3"x1", $25.95
Last item on of THIS PAGE: Soft Arkansas Stone, 10"x3"x1", $29.95
The only thing is that the stones will not come FLAT, so you will need to do some lapping. Actually, with it being the bevel setter, if it's a bit domed, it's probably not the end of the world (your next stone would act like the razor was taped). At least a good smoothing would be in order. If I looked at the prices-vs-sizes above, the 10x3x1 is a no-brainer. Shipping on any of them will most likely be the same. Make no mistake, this is very high quality stone, it just may take you a bit of work before you can use it.

Last edited:
I'm a Dan's Whetstones man, as you know Papa. They cost a little bit more, but they're plenty flat out of the box. Sharpening Supplies sells them rebranded at a slightly discounted rate too.

Let us return to the Spyderco sequence as given. As I understand it, they are pretty hard as hones go, so the soft/medium Arkansas may be the ideal precursor in this regard. Only thing is, the soft/medium Ark is used with oil, which makes the transition to a dry hone a bit difficult in that the blade needs to be cleaned off afterwards (spraying the blade with isopropyl alcohol and wiping it off with a bar towel will do the trick here). Beyond this, perhaps a relatively hard ceramic water stone like the Cerax 1k, or the Sigma II 1.2k, or the Chosera 1k will work well, although the soft/medium Ark is much harder and may be preferred these as it promises a continuous level of thrust pressure throughout the entire progression and is slow like the Spydercos are alleged to be.

Last edited:
This is true, very inexpensive.
4th from top of THIS PAGE: Soft Arkansas Stone, 8"x3"x1/2", $22.95
4th from top of THIS PAGE: Soft Arkansas Stone, 8"x3"x1", $25.95
Last item on of THIS PAGE: Soft Arkansas Stone, 10"x3"x1", $29.95
The only thing is that the stones will not come FLAT, so you will need to do some lapping. Actually, with it being the bevel setter, if it's a bit domed, it's probably not the end of the world (your next stone would act like the razor was taped). At least a good smoothing would be in order. If I looked at the prices-vs-sizes above, the 10x3x1 is a no-brainer. Shipping on any of them will most likely be the same. Make no mistake, this is very high quality stone, it just may take you a bit of work before you can use it.

I'm a Dan's Whetstones man, as you know Papa. They cost a little bit more, but they're plenty flat out of the box. Sharpening Supplies sells them rebranded at a slightly discounted rate too.

I used Natural Whetstones as an example to show how inexpensive a Soft Ark can be (I'm not trying to push one option, but I only have experience with one vendor). Dan's is a good option if you have the extra money and don't want to spend the hours of time flattening.

Sharpening Supplies' Arkansas Stones (if they come flat and ready to use) would be a great deal.
Soft Arkansas Stone (IM200 Replacement), 8"x2"x0.5", $19.99
Soft Arkansas Stone (with box), 8"x2"x1", $27.99
Soft Arkansas Stone (with box), 10"x2"x1", $32.99
Soft Arkansas Stone (with box), 12"x2"x1", $37.99
Soft Arkansas Stone (with box), 8"x3"x0.5", $28.99
Soft Arkansas Stone (IM313 Replacement), 11.5"x2.5"x0.5", $29.99

Dan's Whetstones has lots of Bench Stone options, but is higher on prices. They also have a "Current Specials" page, but at the moment don't have any Soft Stones more than 6" long.

It seems like the general consensus is the Chosera 1k, I don't mind the price difference. Just one more question: what is the procedure with using it, I assuming lapping and soaking but is there anything else I should know?

Also I have not been able to find a lot of places online that sell it, any recommended sites?

Last edited:
Ha! I didn't even see the free shipping, I just remembered a guy saying that he ordered a 5 pound stone from them once and was charged $5 for shipping.

Top Bottom