What's new

Sputnik - a hidden gem!

Shave #5 with 72hrs growth and it was a fantastic one. I felt a little tugging on my mustache area but otherwise it was a comfortable shave. DFS+ for sure.

I'm pretty sure the Sputnik blades are not from PPI, but come from the Rapira plant in Moscow that also produces Voskhod and Ladas.

Shaves 6 & 7 were great. I used my Sensor twice this week which is why it only has 7 shaves instead of 9. I don't see any problem at all with getting at least 3 more comfy shaves without having to push it, probably more. This blade has come out of nowhere to catch me completely offguard, I'm somewhat impressed by it. Like Nacet and Polsilver blades, it really cuts through the burls on my neck like butter, leaving it smooth and irritation free.

I'm pretty sure the Sputnik blades are not from PPI, but come from the Rapira plant in Moscow that also produces Voskhod and Ladas.

I'm pretty sure the Sputnik is made in St Petersburg. This two is Sputnik to the left and Gillette Rubie to the right. I'm not good at chryllic but I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd line says Russia, 196140, Sankt Petersburg. Exactly the same on both.
The Sputnik has exactly the same single wrapping as the other St Petersburg blades, where the Moscow Rapira and Voskhod has a double wrapping.

Attachments

• 20170415_180848.jpg
    20170415_180848.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
I'm indeed wrong! The Sputnik's come from PPI.
They were inserted in my blade sampler pack together with Rapira's, Voskhod and Ladas. I immediately assumed they all came from Moscow. My mistake!

Shave #10 today and my face is smooth as can legally be. My neck is a 9/10, I could've done just a little better on the left side of my throat, but my jawline is much smoother than normal. No tugging or pulling, no irritation, just a great shave from a blade with several uses on it. I don't know if it helps but I have been flipping the blade each day.

Manufacturer of modern version of "Satellite" — ZAO "Petersburg products international". This company belongs known to all the Gillette brand, which is part of the multinational Corporation Procter and Gamble.
"Sputnik" is one of two brands of blades that Gillette produces for the CIS countries. Probably, the marketers rely on the recognition of the name among the people of the region.
The balance of softness and aggression shifted to the "evil" side. So Sputnik can not boast comfort, which provides ASP. With the slight excess of aggressiveness does not provide additional clean shave. Shave these products are almost the same.

... it [Sputnik] reminded me of the Nacet, very sharp at first but not so smooth, with the smoothness increasing on subsequent shaves. #4 today and another great shave. There's no sign of degradation at all...

Nicely put. I see that same pattern with several other blades to varying degrees. Derbys, for example. YMMV.

After being somewhat underwhelmed with the first Sputnik blade I used which was very rough in usage I decided to revisit them and really pleased I did, had a very enjoyable shave with it.

Which makes me consider the first Sputnik I used was a dud, which is probably which took me by surprise as it's the first of many PPI blades I have come across to under perform.

I'd like to echo the observations above, the most recent shave with a Sputnik I had was smooth and sharp, but maybe not quite as sharp as a Nacet and Polsilver - which isn't a bad thing.

Shave 12 today on 72 hours growth. It wasn't as comfy as it has been in the past and I felt I was pushing it a little on the first pass. The other passes went fine but it took an extra one on my neck to make it nice & smooth. I'm binning the blade, I don't like pushing them and even though I could get a few more shaves out of it I'm more concerned with comfort then getting every last use out of a blade. 12 shaves doesn't put it in Polsilver territory, but it's still a respectable amount of DFS+ shaves.

My sleeve of Sputniks says, "Made by ZAO Petersburg Products Inc., Pulovskoye Shosse 54, St. Petersburg". Also: "Distributed by Gillette Group UK Ltd." Also, "Don't wipe blade".

I've been using nothing but Sputniks for about five months now and I'm very satisfied.

That was my experience too.
So far though I am liking the Green the most. Nacet not quite so much as Green but quite a lot, but maybe I need to try more of each. polsilver is great. So was Yellow but I need more trials to know if it is good as Green. Sharp! I must try a GSB soon.

and then I have some Rapiras to try, and a sampler with every Personna blade ...

@YKMV - just doing my part to give a blade that doesn't get a lot of exposure the recognition it deserves! It's not a Nacet or Polsilver, but it's not that far off either. For the price of 100 ($12.50 on the 'bay) it's a tough one to beat.

I have been using these for some time now. A bit harder to find than most, but well worth the effort to track down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom