What's new

Sprint Smartphone

I need a new smartphone that will work with Sprint.

I currently have a Motorola Q9c which has been on it's last legs for a long time, now that all of the buttons have falls off, I think it's time to finally break down and get a new one.

Cost is a factor here so I can't get the most expensive ones out there, but I want something that will browse the internet, use email, and text messaging with a full keyboard. I wouldn't mind a better camera and I would really prefer something with an microsd card slot. I was looking at Blackberrys, but I've never had one before and know very little about them.

Thanks!

I need a new smartphone that will work with Sprint.

I currently have a Motorola Q9c which has been on it's last legs for a long time, now that all of the buttons have falls off, I think it's time to finally break down and get a new one.

Cost is a factor here so I can't get the most expensive ones out there, but I want something that will browse the internet, use email, and text messaging with a full keyboard. I wouldn't mind a better camera and I would really prefer something with an microsd card slot. I was looking at Blackberrys, but I've never had one before and know very little about them.

Thanks!

The Blackberry's have what you are looking for; however, they are not touchscreen (except one that's used on VZW) and as such not as user friendly for browsing the web or listening to music. They once reigned along with Palm for email and calendar sync OTA; however, there are numerous services that have sprung up that offer OTA sync for as little as $4.95 a month and the android phones sync your calendar and gmail OTA for no charge. Keep in mind the going rate for a smartphone data plan is approximately $30 / month.

I'm not sure why you have to have Sprint unless you are in a contract. Their plan prices are good but their phone prices are fairly high. Another option is get the cheaper BB and get an iPod Touch.

I have the HTC Hero and came from a BB Curve (both on Sprint). 1) after using the HTC, the BB interface seems ancient and kludgey and 2) the web browsing speed of the HTC blows the doors of the BB not to mention the overall experience is better, its like a real browser whereas the BB browser stinks. Just MHO

Last edited:
I have the HTC Hero and came from a BB Curve (both on Sprint). 1) after using the HTC, the BB interface seems ancient and kludgey and 2) the web browsing speed of the HTC blows the doors of the BB not to mention the overall experience is better, its like a real browser whereas the BB browser stinks. Just MHO

Android is a good system but it has no Audible Audiobooks support. We're it not for that, I would use it.

I was looking at this. Is the Hero on the Android platform? Do you mind sharing some more details about the phone?

I was looking at this. Is the Hero on the Android platform? Do you mind sharing some more details about the phone?

My girlfriend just got the Hero from Telus in Canada (the Canadian version is slightly different than the US one - I think you guys call it the G3)

It is indeed an Android phone, my next phone purchase will be an Android phone too, and most likely something by HTC. Again, I can't speak for the US version, but the Hero is a solid phone. A nice bonus is that for whatever reason, many apps that are paid, or trial versions on BB or iPhone are totally free on android, not in all cases, but I've seen a few (shazam comes to mind). I keep getting blown away by the things this phone can do. If you're a gmail user at all it would be hands down, no question the way to go. It has great integration with google services. The wifi is cool too, my girlfriend has free wifi at school and work as well as home, so the only time she uses the data plan is in transit (And while I'm amusing myself with her phone while she tries on clothes while shopping :p )

I'm just hoping they come out with a dropbox client for android soon!

My girlfriend just got the Hero from Telus in Canada (the Canadian version is slightly different than the US one - I think you guys call it the G3)

It is indeed an Android phone, my next phone purchase will be an Android phone too, and most likely something by HTC. Again, I can't speak for the US version, but the Hero is a solid phone. A nice bonus is that for whatever reason, many apps that are paid, or trial versions on BB or iPhone are totally free on android, not in all cases, but I've seen a few (shazam comes to mind). I keep getting blown away by the things this phone can do. If you're a gmail user at all it would be hands down, no question the way to go. It has great integration with google services. The wifi is cool too, my girlfriend has free wifi at school and work as well as home, so the only time she uses the data plan is in transit (And while I'm amusing myself with her phone while she tries on clothes while shopping :p )

I'm just hoping they come out with a dropbox client for android soon!

How's the touch-screen on the Hero? I've never used a touch screen before and I'm a little reluctant.

Touch screen is really good, if anything sometimes too sensitive which may make it a bit harder to type on occasion, again though, the Canadian version is different than the American one, and I'm not sure what all the differences are.

I tried one out at Best Buy last night. I had a really hard time with the touch screen. How big is the learning curve for one of those?

Thoughts on the Samsung Moment?

Sorry, was offline while I was on vacation. The Hero is an Android phone. I don't get into the tech specs much. I have a coworker with a Samsung moment who has "rooted" his phone, installed custom roms, etc. None of that interests me. Its a good phone, IMO basically comparable to the iPhone with a few caveats and better in a few areas. Obviously its not on the Apple app store (which could be a positive depending on how you feel about Apple's review and approval policy) and it doesn't natively integrate with iTunes but there are pretty good work arounds (I use iTunes Agent to synch).

The browser is great and my understanding uses the same core as the iPhone browser. This is the biggest step up IMO compared to something like a BlackBerry. My Curve felt like I was browsing the internet on a cell phone. The Hero feels like browsing the internet on a computer with a small screen.

I tried one out at Best Buy last night. I had a really hard time with the touch screen. How big is the learning curve for one of those?

Thoughts on the Samsung Moment?
I was worried about this too but I found after about a week I could type as fast as I could on my BB Curve with a physical keyboard.

I got a Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 (my first smartphone), and have been extremely pleased with it.

I am on my third Blackberry, second Curve. What it does, email and phone, it does very, very well. What's more, it is easy to use, has a long battery life and is quite durable. I highly recommend it.

Sorry, was offline while I was on vacation. The Hero is an Android phone. I don't get into the tech specs much. I have a coworker with a Samsung moment who has "rooted" his phone, installed custom roms, etc. None of that interests me. Its a good phone, IMO basically comparable to the iPhone with a few caveats and better in a few areas. Obviously its not on the Apple app store (which could be a positive depending on how you feel about Apple's review and approval policy) and it doesn't natively integrate with iTunes but there are pretty good work arounds (I use iTunes Agent to synch).

The browser is great and my understanding uses the same core as the iPhone browser. This is the biggest step up IMO compared to something like a BlackBerry. My Curve felt like I was browsing the internet on a cell phone. The Hero feels like browsing the internet on a computer with a small screen.

How's the battery life. I've always charged my phone at night carried it with me all day. Does the Hero make it through a day?

Like anything it depends on usage patterns. It makes it through a day but you really do have to charge it every night. I work a desk job and usually plug it into the USB port on my laptop during the day to charge so I never have problems.

V

VR6ofpain

This is a no brainer. Palm Pre or Palm Pixie. Do some reading. Amazing phone. I love my Pre (I'm typing this on it as we speak).

Top Bottom