What's new

Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 Sub-Compact: Any OWNERS here?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Thinking about getting one because for all it's faults, I miss my ParaOrdnance P-10 subcompact doublestack .45. I really don't have a practical summertime CCL gun at the moment. All the online reviews look great. When the XD first came out it was reported to be somewhat sucky but apparently the Mod2 is well received by the reviewers... who mostly know what side their toast is buttered and might not want to upset a big brand like Springfield Armory, right? Anyway I was hoping I might hear from someone here who ACTUALLY OWNS this little gun. Anybody have anything to say that is not just hearsay or read-say or speculation?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I really can't comment as the only combat tupperware I have is my Glock 22, but with Cabela's listed weight of almost 4 lbs. it may drag your pants down a bit. :c1:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hmmmmm it weighs 26oz, I believe. My 8" barrel 1858 Remington doesn't weigh 4lb. I bet that weight is total package weight with spare mags, case, and whatever other doodad gimmees they throw in there. A full size 1911 isn't going to be anywhere near 4lb. I think Cabela's messed up on the ad copy.

I drove all the way to Gonzalez to make a personal appearance at the gun counter of Cabelas and they were swamped with buyers and understaffed with counter help. After waiting an hour with Mrs Monster I had to go. She has a short gun counter attention span. Sort of like if she dragged me to the makeup counter at wherever.

I rented a first Gen compact, not a sub back when. Shot on par with Glock, slightly better ergos, but not much.

glocks have way better parts and after market support. A trigger bar/parts polish will take out the gritty trigger pull, and a trigger guard undercut to clear social finger knuckles on bigger mits are dead simple and well within your skill set.

call around to rent one at a range for a test drive is always my suggestion. I’m surprised you had to go that far to find one.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks for that. Apparently the undercut modification is a feature included in the Mod.2 Subcompact. Massad Ayoob apparently likes it and mentions another nice feature. It will still fire when the muzzle is pressed against an object, so maybe that would be considered a reliability improvement over most semis in an up close physical tangle and weapon retention struggle.

Good idea on renting at a range. I may just do that, but I am not confident that there would be a rental available here in the city. Ayoob's endorsement is another chip in favor of just getting one.

Thanks for that. Apparently the undercut modification is a feature included in the Mod.2 Subcompact. Massad Ayoob apparently likes it and mentions another nice feature. It will still fire when the muzzle is pressed against an object, so maybe that would be considered a reliability improvement over most semis in an up close physical tangle and weapon retention struggle.

Good idea on renting at a range. I may just do that, but I am not confident that there would be a rental available here in the city. Ayoob's endorsement is another chip in favor of just getting one.

the trigger bar polish/trigger guard undercut were Glock specific. the XD I shot fit my knuckle. Glocks tend to not until I fix them. a G43 makes a pretty damn good sub in my hand, no trigger guard surgery required. 26s never fit my hand happy and the pinky fell off. the 43 just does with the supplied pinky lip baseplates or Tango Down +2 extensions and springs (test drove the snot out of them for reliability). they've been my sub carry for a good bit.

I used to carry .45, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but a good JHP 9mm performs near enough not to matter, hold more in a mag, shoot softer, cheaper, and quicker with recoil/follow on shots. I'll always love and maybe still go to a BBQ/church with my 1911... but I carry 9 in glocks these days, because they just go bang, and there's a platform/training commonality between mine. I run same sights, lights, set ups on them for that commonality. that's me, my experience, and training.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah I know. I have sort of an aversion to the 9mm that really has very little logical basis. I remember when MSC took our .45s and gave us Barettas just at the tail end of the first gulf war. Almost the entire crew of a certain low paying bottom feeding ship owned and operated by a bottom feeding company I will not name were bottom of the barrel scrape-ees and nobody had any small arms experience so the old man asked me to do a familiarization seminar with the weps we had onboard before we got to the Suez. How hard can it be, right? So I did the M14 which I was fairly familiar and comfortable with, then the 12ga pump which I had zero experience with except qualifying on the range, and finally the 9mm, which I had never even held in my hand. So I am going through the loading, chambering, etc routine and I remembered being told about some of the eccentricities of this type gun (as opposed to the 1911) so I knew the safety worked upside down and had a "red yer dead" dot. So I am putting the gun on safe in front of 22 interested noobs and CLICK! I just froze. Even though the gun was empty and I knew it was empty, I was not prepared to hear the hammer slam forward without my finger on the trigger. Then I remembered some more trivia... "Okay guys, that was NOT the sound of the pistol firing! When you apply the safety, it decocks the gun. The firing pin does not actually travel forward..." Whew. Anyway I never liked that gun from that day and the 9mm cartridge was forever associated with it in my head. Qualifying at the range with the Baretta, I always thumb cocked for the first shot because I hated that long trigger pull and my first two rounds would be embarrassingly wide as I squeezed of the first with the crazy trigger pull and then reacquired my trigger mojo over the next round or two. You don't have to do that with a real gun. Same trigger pull every time. Just too many things that to me were just WRONG. Only got busted once, by an eagle eyed old school Marine rangemaster who said the only reason he passed me was because I had the high score and he thumbcocked, too, but I better darn well learn to shoot a 9mm instead of trying to make it shoot like a .45.

Okay so the XD is not a 1911, either, but I actually think it will grow on me. I like the cartridge and the two finger grip isn't any different from my old P10 except the gun does sit slightly lower in the hand and so should be less muzzle flip than the P10. Plus it comes with the regular shorty mag and also an extended one, and a grip extender thingy so one way or the other, it will behave in my hand, either with my pinky on the grip or curled underneath in true subby fashion. The .45ACP cartridge keeps it at least close to my mental comfort zone. And sure, there are a lot of choices for subcompacts in 9mm but I just don't feel the love. TBH if I was going to compromise on the cartridge at all, I would probably be looking at a .380 pocket pistol for street carry, but I'm not, at least not yet.

Today I decided to just go for it, because no way I will ever see it again as cheap as $375. But turns out Cabela's is out of stock... EVERYWHERE, so ship-to-store is not available. And so I have plenty of time to decide, now, if I will go for it or not. Maybe I won't, I don't know.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
the trigger bar polish/trigger guard undercut were Glock specific. the XD I shot fit my knuckle. Glocks tend to not until I fix them. a G43 makes a pretty damn good sub in my hand, no trigger guard surgery required. 26s never fit my hand happy and the pinky fell off. the 43 just does with the supplied pinky lip baseplates or Tango Down +2 extensions and springs (test drove the snot out of them for reliability). they've been my sub carry for a good bit.

I used to carry .45, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but a good JHP 9mm performs near enough not to matter, hold more in a mag, shoot softer, cheaper, and quicker with recoil/follow on shots. I'll always love and maybe still go to a BBQ/church with my 1911... but I carry 9 in glocks these days, because they just go bang, and there's a platform/training commonality between mine. I run same sights, lights, set ups on them for that commonality. that's me, my experience, and training.

+1 on the Tango Down +2's. My wife has several thousand rounds thru her G43 now over the years with Tango Down +2's and never the slighest hiccup. Before the Tango Downs I tried at least 3 other brand extensions for her, but none would give the 100% reliability that the Tango downs have provided.

Top Bottom