What's new

Spring cleaning has come early this year

No, not because spring came early actually the exact opposite....its been ungodly cold all February. Normal temp should be -2C (28F) but this year it's been -23 (-11F), and that's actual temp not with windchill. Oh, and its also snowed 23 of the 26 days. :censored:

I've been getting a little stir crazy so cleaned & organized my other den, the basement workroom.....

1workbench.JPG

Main workbench
I'm steaming a couple of brushes at the moment to try to get the knots out. So far not very successful.

2table tools.JPG

Table tools
Mitre & table saws are decent, router table, sander & drill press are OK but I'd like to upgrade the bandsaw to a proper 14"/~7A version. Would love to get a small metal lathe/milling machine.

3wine & paint bench.JPG

Wet workbench
No AC power and right next to the sink. Good for wine making & paint cleanup

4storage 1.JPG

Tool storage
From top to bottom: couple of nail guns, high voltage/test/electronic tools, cordless/corded hand tools, bunch of parts containers, telecom/datacom and plumbing tools. Rolling chest has the expected sockets/ratchets, chisels, files, drill/driver bits, specialty pliers, dremel, etc.

5storage 2.JPG

Misc storage
The white boxes on the right are six FedEx tubes glued together with the tops cut off. Perfect for storing odd pieces of long stock, etc. And free :)

6storage 3.JPG

Paint
The top row of plastic drawers hold brushes, putty knives, etc. and bottom row is sandpaper

7storage 4.JPG

Those tracks for hanging stuff on the wall are great.

8office.JPG

Where I do any electronics or fine work and also where I can put my fly bench. And yes, that is a picture of Norm Abram on the wall...because why not & who doesn't love Norm :D

Next project is to get a bunch of 6" knotty pine paneling to give it a more finished look.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great job on the clean up. I am in awe of your set up. You cannot swing a cat in my shed. I hang my head in shame.

Last month I added a new 20A breaker to the workroom, cleaned up/organized the receptacles and added two sets of ganged outlets under the hobby desk with one being always on and the other being switched (for things like the soldering iron, power supply, converter, etc.). Originally just had the latter on a generic wall switch in a utility box mounted above the desk. Worked fine, just had no panache.

The last episode Chernobyl miniseries provided the inspiration for something a little different.

cmm scram.jpg

Thanks Gents....and re. basements, I've never lived in a house that didn't have one (did live in a house once that I wish didn't one) and think I'd be very lost without having that extra space. House I'm in now is a walkout facing south so gets great light and doesn't feel basement'y.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I am on the southern point of Tornado Alley. Of course recently, that seems to be shifting.

Indeed we are at the southern edge of the "alley". Seems that the storms just skirt us as they blow through, although the last couple weeks have been, um, interesting...

I grew up with a basement and oh how I wish I had one now. I asked a builder a some years ago why basements are so rare in this area and he said that it was simply a matter of cost. He built some that, according to him for a relatively modest sq/ft, added $50-$70k to the building costs.

Nice workshop @Canadian Mountain Man, much more organized than mine. I keep procrastinating...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Indeed we are at the southern edge of the "alley". Seems that the storms just skirt us as they blow through, although the last couple weeks have been, um, interesting...

I grew up with a basement and oh how I wish I had one now. I asked a builder a some years ago why basements are so rare in this area and he said that it was simply a matter of cost. He built some that, according to him for a relatively modest sq/ft, added $50-$70k to the building costs.

Nice workshop @Canadian Mountain Man, much more organized than mine. I keep procrastinating...
Didn’t realize that it would add that much.

Top Bottom