What's new

Spreading the gospel of Wet Shaving

A lot of this useful information will be used in the future. I already have the extra tubes of Nivea cream, because it was so cheap and I found it locally. I am, however, considering skipping the Arko altogether. I have a ton of it and I could always give it to them later. I might pick up some Stirling samples to replace the Arko. I just feel like there should be a soap somewhere, because it might be one of the weirdest concepts for a new wet shaver to take in, and it's a chance to put in an alluring and personalized scent.

1 thing I wanna do before making the final call on which razor to include: shave with my Weishi again. It's at my mother's house, and I won't be there again until Thanksgiving. Thinking about it from a gift/noob perspective, it's just smarter to get them something brand new.

I must admit that I know almost nothing about synthetic brushes. Are they good to start out with? They seem quite affordable and available.

Re: VDH... I included a deluxe puck in the kit I loaned to another friend and he said that it made him "smell like I was changing diapers and spilled a bunch of baby powder on myself." Seems as though that soap can be polarizing as well, even though I personally only found it boring and quite drying.

Only difference I would throw out there is for C O Bigalow and/or Maca Root shaving creams with them being easily bought in the Mall Body Shops. Other than the blades, it would obviously be best to provide expendable products that are good and easily obtainable (for most) locally.

My wife has already made the switch to wet shaving her legs, underarms and intimate areas -- I got her some VDH deluxe placed strategically in a re-close able jar and a good boar brush and a Lady Gillette and some Personna Lab Blues. My daughter and her husband have both expressed interest and for Christmas I have acquired them VDH Premium shave sets and Parker Razors and Shark Super Chromes to start off.

A fellow flea marketer, selling scented candles, helped me decode the VDH scent. It's "powder," and chicks dig it. Come to find out, (Googling to fill in the blanks) it is the #1 scent women prefer on a man. I bought "Select" specificially because it's relatively toned down, and she still picked that one out, over all the lovely Stirlings I had on my table! So, I think that's a good compromise. Just smells like "masking agent" to me, with an overall generic lotion scent.

I can't find any online merchants with the synthetic brush I have, manufactured in China by JDK Shenzhen. (Plastic rubber nylon shaving brush, would be good search terms.) I think its fibers are probably finer than the widely available Omega Syntex, based on descriptions of feel. They just happened to have a small quantity on hand. It wasn't my selection, but I was smart enough to say yes, thank you when they showed me a picture; normally they sell by the thousands.
$IMG_20141117_231823.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom