What's new

Spreading the gospel of Wet Shaving

Nearly 4 months after my first eye-opening shave with my DE89 and VDH starter kit, the Holidays are fast approaching and I intend to use this as a chance to get more of friends into wet shaving. I already have 1 close friend who hopped on the bandwagon a few weeks ago (with the help of a goodie bag I provided him with), and my cousin/roommate is FINALLY loosening up to the point where I might get him to try 1 of the 8 razors I have gloriously mounted on our bathroom counter.

I'm starting to get a better grip on how to get others to shed cartridge and electric razors. It's tough when you're talking about dudes in their mid-late 20s, because most of us grew up not giving a crap about shaving at all. In an attempt to try and see it more from their perspective, I've begun using simpler products than the ones I've been chasing for the past 2 months. I'm a fan of artisan soaps like Stirling, B&M, and now WSP, but I forget that I had to grow into that phase over the course of my first couple weeks. It's been valuable reading threads/posts from some of you minimalist shavers out there who ride with 1 brush, 1 razor (with perhaps a backup or two), and 1 soap/cream that you simply love. I might be wrong about this, but I think that you minimalists are the silent majority; of which I refer to all current and prospective wet shavers, not just us geeks on B&B and other places (let's face it, the majority around here was more likely to be clicking "refresh" on the B&M site the day the Fougeres were re-released, trying our best to spend $35 as quickly as possible).

I finally see how that's a turnoff. My enthusiasm has scared some of my friends away from this great activity. So... I rewound the tape a bit, and I've tried out some simpler tools that I probably should've tried months back. Specifically, they are:

Razors:
-Flare Tip (I've had a Slim for a while, but the SS is so much more obtainable and I should've experienced one earlier)
-Tech (first shave today. COMPLETELY taken aback by how effective it is. Smooth, comfortable, and close with a Personna Lab Blue. I've got Feathers coming in the mail and I can't wait to try them. And again... they're everywhere.)

Software:
-Arko (not new to me, but I never used it for an extended period. I spent a week using just Arko and my Flare Tip.)
-Nivea Sensitive Cream (Debuted tonight w/ my Tech. First cream I've ever owned or used. So foolproof that it made the Arko look like rocket surgery.)

Am I going to stick with simple products like these for the long run? No. Could I? **strokes BBS face** uuuuhhh.... yeah, why not? Tech + Nivea + WD Silvertip + Alum + Nivea ASB is what I used tonight, and it's on a completely different stratosphere than the shaves I got from carts or electric face-chewers. It's so easy to forget that sometimes, and I think I needed to get back in touch with simplicity before assembling DE gift packs for 2 of my nearest and dearest friends -- both of whom think that the investment into DE shaving is steep and pointless.

It hurts to say this guys, but as great as our mugs may look/feel, we sometimes provide a rather poor example of some of wet shaving's greatest attractions; namely simplicity and affordability. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna sniff my B&M Fougere every time I go into the bathroom, but I've also re-connected with what it takes to lure more people into this method of shaving...................... so that maybe they can get addicted too. :w00t:

Anywho... here's what I'm putting in my gift box for these fellas. I'd appreciate any sort of input or feedback, although I think this stuff is quite foolproof.

1. user grade Flare Tip
2. Omega Boar (still haven't picked a specific model.... 50-55mm loft seems right)
3. $1 Salsa Bowl
4. Nivea Sensitive Cream
5. Arko (just so that they can experience a soap)
6. Alum Block
7. 5 Personna Blues & 5 Astra SP

Altogether this will cost roughly $35 per kit, give/take. Honestly, I won 2 Flare Tips in a lot auction, so it's not like I'm feeling the cost of those too much anyways. Not much different than what one could find at Garry's sample shop, but it's a bit more personalized and was fun to assemble.

I think that more of us should make it an objective to spread some Holiday razors around this December... Not unlike Fight Club when they were going out in public to find new recruits. Just keep it noob friendly and remember how overwhelming things were when you first started, and I bet it'll take off like wildfire with the cartridge refugees!

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought. I also thought "Man it would be nice to have a friend like this guy!"

Let them know that their Arko wrapper can also double as car deodorizer. The tubs do the same but more decoratively!

This was a good read

Last edited:
People not in the know might be turned off by the idea of a used razor. How about a Weishi?

I did consider that. I have one myself and I think it's a fine way to start out. I'll probably go that route in the future... actually, I might just do Weishi + Nivea cream + brush + blades. The two fellas I'm gifting these Flare Tips to have a degree of appreciation for the old school, so I'm hoping that will override any potential hygiene-based weirdness they might have (which I don't anticipate).

Excellent post and it's worthy of the honor B&B gave it as a post to FB! My only suggestion would be to pick a soap less polarizing than Arko. It has a strong love/hate following that if I had to guess, would mark users at an equal 50% love/hate due to the smell. If you're trying to get folks hooked, perhaps something more middle of the road for scent?

Excellent post and it's worthy of the honor B&B gave it as a post to FB! My only suggestion would be to pick a soap less polarizing than Arko. It has a strong love/hate following that if I had to guess, would mark users at an equal 50% love/hate due to the smell. If you're trying to get folks hooked, perhaps something more middle of the road for scent?

Good point. I tend to forget that because I use Arko despite the fact that I don't like the scent.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about throwing in some Stirling samples because I can personalize the scents for each person, but Stirling can deter people who aren't experienced with lathering.

Crap, I should've gotten some extra WSP pucks when they were on sale...

Good point. I tend to forget that because I use Arko despite the fact that I don't like the scent.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about throwing in some Stirling samples because I can personalize the scents for each person, but Stirling can deter people who aren't experienced with lathering.

Crap, I should've gotten some extra WSP pucks when they were on sale...

TOBS cream samples might be a good idea.

That's real nice if you! Giving a starter pack is cool! I tried to get some friends to try but they don't have many whiskers on their face so they only shave once a week...maybe.lol Another uses Dollar Shave. Oh well, they don't know what they are missing out on.

I'd say swap the Arko for Speick sticks. And, stating the obvious, for the truly uninitiated a brand-new razor is a must. You are right on though, excellent post. Considering something similar for my bro-in-law and for my best bud. Which actually seems very apropos, as it was my sister's gift of an AoS travel set that got me into this mess in the first place.

What about Mike's Naturals samples instead of the alum? Maybe C.O. B cream samples?

Awesome guesture, BTW!!!

You could mage your own samples with a harder soap like Stirling or Mike's. Just cut a puck into fourths. Or even better. Buy four different pucks and then you can give four different samples (I'm assuming for some reason that you have 4 people in mind, but you get the idea)

You're a quick study. Took me two years of trial and error shaving myself, and a summer of flea marketing, to arrive at similar ideas. I'm not here to sell, so don't mind sharing my conclusions:

Razor: Rimei 2003 or Yingjili 8206-m
I sound people out for whether they will be digging for the BBS - SS-type, or learning an art for the sake of comfort - Tech-type. Not that I don't like my EJ clone, too, but it's expensive and not conducive to learning. Merkur clones, while flooding the American market currently, are dangerous crap, IMO. I didn't want to hear about Weishis falling apart for the rest of my life.
Blades: I push the Astras more for the Tech clone, Personna for the Superspeed clone, but either way, they're the best 2
Brush: Synthetic (nylon or Pur-tech) they're not floppy if you know what you're looking for, and you can't hurt 'em
No alum, but Oil: little squeeze bottles for vape juice are readily available. filled 50/50 with castor oil and whatever, I found Argan oil. Good for cleansing, pre-shave, and moisturizing, it's a nice segue to taking care of your skin.
Soap: here we disagree; for me, it's Stirling all the way. Sample size is appropriate for what you're doing, will still last well over a month.
Bowl/Mug: I thought salsa at first, too, but 16 oz. mugs are better for carting all your stuff to the washstand, and make a lovely presentation. Shred old mail to elevate the items, only filling the very top with decorative colored shred. Wrap it all in cellophane with a ribbon bow tie.

Top Bottom