What's new

Spreading Some Brotherly Love

So, as most of you know I am a big proponent of the B&B BL Secret Santa do every year. It is a great way to celebrate and share with your fellow Brown Leafers. Some of you my also know that during that time I was just about to embark on the most difficult relocation of my entire life. And I have been around the world.....twice.

We packed up our household goods on 6 Jan. I kept back three pipes and two tins of tobacco I got from the Secret Santa exchange. I was figuring that I would see my trusty pipes and cellar on the other side of the Atlantic in 5 to 7 weeks. Yeah, not so much.

Our stuff sat in a CONNEX box on a wharf for three weeks. Yep. Three. Then it was put on a ship and shipped out on Feb 1st. Awesome! My stuff is gonna be here by 25 Feb according to the Bill of Lading. The ship then traveled from England to Belgium, then to Portugal, then to Greece, then to Turkey (5 ports in Turkey!), and now on it's way BACK to Portugal. Well the 25th of Feb is two days away and the ship with my shi....stuff on it is in the Med. So needless to say I am not getting my stuff anytime soon.

Enter @seabee1999 Santa. He could have sent me some random stuff from any number of online vendors. But no. He dug deep and came up with some stuff that was from his own cellar. And when I say dug deep, he dug really deep. Painfully deep. The two tins below were in that present he sent. These are very very well aged and have gotten me through and are getting me through a very tough time. They are lovely to smoke and I can't thank him enough.

THIS is what this site exemplifies on a daily basis. I just want to say: THANK YOU!
IPSD.jpg

Ok. So I was just informed that it wasn't Dave that sent them. Hmmm....Then that only leaves one other person that I can think of. I am pretty sure I know who that someone was. And I appreciate it. I won't name them for fear of embarrassing myself a second time. :) And, this person probably wants to remain anonymous. Which is fine. Rest assured, you are a true Gentleman, whomever you are.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Ok. So I was just informed that it wasn't Dave that sent them. Hmmm....Then that only leaves one other person that I can think of. I am pretty sure I know who that someone was. And I appreciate it. I won't name them for fear of embarrassing myself a second time. :) And, this person probably wants to remain anonymous. Which is fine. Rest assured, you are a true Gentleman, whomever you are.

I couldn't agree more!!! Bravo!!!

That's incredible! That's what us Oklahomans do....deliver!

I've been to other pipe forums and after a month or two I politely asked the moderators to close my account. I joined B&B while I was needing some support and I was in a funk finishing my graduate school work in the middle of the Great Recession. A way to save money was by changing how I shaved. I was PIF'd a Gillette Goodwill, I grabbed a starter kit of blades and this August will be 10 years since joining. I couldn't imagine not being around and I enjoy all of you and your support and kindness. @seabee1999 way to go brother, true class act!

@Riff Raff - so you are back in the states?

seabee1999

I've been to other pipe forums and after a month or two I politely asked the moderators to close my account. I joined B&B while I was needing some support and I was in a funk finishing my graduate school work in the middle of the Great Recession. A way to save money was by changing how I shaved. I was PIF'd a Gillette Goodwill, I grabbed a starter kit of blades and this August will be 10 years since joining. I couldn't imagine not being around and I enjoy all of you and your support and kindness. @seabee1999 way to go brother, true class act!

Sad to say, it wasn’t me. Bravo Zulu to the chap who did though!

@seabee1999 oh my apologies, I misread the original post. Either way, you're a good one, stay that way :)

Did you make it out of the arctic storm ok? We've got everything thawed here, 2 hairline drywall cracks but everything else seems ok.

seabee1999

@seabee1999 oh my apologies, I misread the original post. Either way, you're a good one, stay that way :)

Did you make it out of the arctic storm ok? We've got everything thawed here, 2 hairline drywall cracks but everything else seems ok.

No worries! I do my best to always be me!

As for the arctic storm, we faired pretty well overall. No real issues came up. We did drop power for a very short time but I had the house on backup power. Our water never stopped (on a well) but I had to do a lot of work to ensure there was heat in the well house. After some time to reflect, I am bummed that the cold and snow was as short as it was. I love cold weather especially when snow is involved. Today my allergies are acting up pretty bad b/c of the winds 😞. Not fun!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This was the main reason why I got a generator and transfer switch. In October we lost power for about 10 hrs due to the big ice storm that hit OK. After that moment, I determined never to be without power again.

When we first purchased our present homestead, we routinely lost power for days at a time during ice storms. With a well, that doesn’t play well after about 12-18 hours. After the third or fourth one, we similarly dropped in a backup generator with a transfer switch at the meter (very nice, you can selectively send the power anywhere via the main service panel). But after making all that investment, we stopped having long outages for some reason. Funny how that works.

I also grew up on a well. Dad was smart and built the 30x40 pole barn around the small well house. We'd keep a single 60 watt light bulb burning in the well house and it kept the room above freezing and it was an easy check to run out there and check the bulb. If it was burnt out, screw in another one. We didn't have a generator though, when the snow and ice came and living so rural the power would go out for several days at a time. Some of the best memories I had of those days growing up was during those storms. After I moved, my parents had the longest stretch of power outage during a bad winter storm. They didn't have power for 11 days and couldn't get out of the driveway the entire time.

Yep. And it is soooooo good to be back home!

Top Bottom