What's new

SPRAY DRIED Instant coffee ??

Greek Nescafe' is a spray dried instant coffee, and this process is what enables the dried coffee to " frappe ". American instant coffee is freeze dried, and will not "frappe "....Greek Nescafe' is great stuff, but expensive in the U.S. Where I live I see Mexican and Colombian instant coffees, but these coffees, as per American instant coffees , do not list the process used. Anyone know of any other "spray dried" instant coffee available in the U.S. ??

Attachments

• nescafe.jpg
    nescafe.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 16
What do you mean by using "frappe" as a verb?
I am not sure all instant coffees advertise how they are made, though I assume the ones which are more powdery are not freeze dried.

i think the greek frappe is to foam/froth a cold coffee bev.
Yes..... and you get 1/2 of a 20 oz glass filled with foam or "frappe" from only 1 tsp spray dried coffee, one tsp sugar 2 tsp water by using a "frother" , which doe a great job....
froth.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I always thought that spray dried coffee was just lower quality instant coffee. Freeze drying is the more expensive process and better preserves coffee's flavor and aroma, but it seems like it's neither here nor there.

I did some poking around, and it also sounds like the Greek Nascafé is "stronger" than the US version, and it probably uses a fair amount of Robusta beans (not a bad choice for a frappé, I suppose). You might want to look for Nescafé Clasico, which sounds like a Mexican version similar to or the same as the Greek version. I saw some others mentioning Café Bustelo instant espresso as a good choice.

I'm thinking the instant coffees from Mexico and South America are also spray dried, it's a cheaper process...I'm going to try them...
coffee  sor.JPG

Spray drying can also be done under vacuum, not just hot air. This allows for a lower temperature process. In the freeze-drying process, the moisture in the food sublimes (passes from solid directly to vapor). Temperature must be tightly controlled.

RESULTS: Mexican Nescafe' will froth just as well as the Greek version !..... There is a difference in flavor, the Greek Nescafe' has a higher percentage of Robusta beans. I like both , and both really create a delicious cold coffee drink , or shoveled over a large scoop of vanilla ice cream it creates a marvelous affogato !! ..........

Attachments

• IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    510 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
You can see the Mexican Nescafe' froth up here:
........ I added a little almond milk, but you can add water, milk, rice milk, half&half or you can ladle a dollop of the foam in a bowl, add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and pour the remaining foam over the ice cream for a fantastic afogato !!

Last edited:
Doesn't the freeze dry method use vacuum process rather than spraying ?.... I can't find any info on spraying freeze dried coffee... https://www.powerofhorsemilk.com/what-is-freeze-drying/the-difference-between-freeze-drying-and-spray-drying/
I would say yes and no. Freeze dried is flash frozen on a belt or drum and then the ice particles are vacuumed off and then it is pounded into small particles.
Id say they are both sprayed though, the difference being one is heated in a mist form to remove the water, whereas the other is a frozen slab that is pounded into fine particles. [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom