What's new

Splish Splash - A/S Splash comparo!

full

Well fellers, I've been busier than a rooster in a hens nest, but luckily things are starting to slow down a bit and I can start posting up on the site here!

Without further hubub- here are my findings....

First, lets crack things off with Taylor St. James - Wonderful smell, but for some reason, not as delightful as the shaving cream or cologne. Not much sting, did a great job soothing irritation, and was all around plesant! Neat bottle, didn't gush out too much product - all in all 8 out of 10.

Taylor No 74 - Jasmine fans, get yer engines runnin'. This has an outstanding scent to it, very "old school", very original, very British, very good... at least to my nose. Scotto was not such a fan, which is how I acquired it, but again, I love it! Excellent soothing properties, very little sting, wonderful cooling effect, and great, lasting scent. EXCELLENT splash bottle. 8.5 out of 10

Proraso - Smells medicinal/foul. Works superb, incredibly soothing, very little burn, tones the skin, and works like the dickens! Excellent splash top. 9 out of 10

Royall Collection - They smell delicious, but have quite a bit of burn. The Bay Rum is downright unpleasant. Works ok. 6 out of 10

Musgo Real - I have reviewed this product in the past.... works wonders, smells divine, moisturizes, soothes, tones, almost no burn, etc. 10 out of 10.

Adidas Citrus splash - Total rubbish, burns like hell - 'nuff said. 2 out of 10.

Aqua Velva Ice Sport - Awesome soothing/toning properties, beefed up with vitamin E, smells decent, little sting, very inexpensive. 9 out of 10

Aqua Velva Classic - Smells excellent, soothes razor burned skin, has a lasting scent, works very well, easy to get ahold of and super cheap! 9 out of 10

Old Spice - Thy name is burn. 3 out of 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh a little closing....

I'd recommend going with either the Proraso, Musgo, or Aqua Velva.... the Aqua Velva does not leave much to be desired, but the Musgo is hands down the best. A 200ml bottle of the aqua velva at wally world will set you back about $6, where as a 100ml bottle of musgo will have you shelling out a whopping $22. Is the musgo worth it? In my opinion - yes, but I will have a bottle of aqua velva around, and it will be my "go to" aftershave due to cost, and nice scent. I'd recommend trying an a/s splash.... just make sure to splash on some cool water first, and you should have little to no "burn." Splashes seem to really do an excellent job at fighting ingrown hairs as well.

Give 'em a shot girlie man!

What about guys with dry skin......Could you use the proraso splash followed by the pre/post for moisture or would it make more since to just use the pre/post and call it a day?

gage0921 said:
What about guys with dry skin......Could you use the proraso splash followed by the pre/post for moisture or would it make more since to just use the pre/post and call it a day?

I often will use an a/s splash and follow it up with pre/post or a face moisturizer like Avalon after the proraso has dried.
:biggrin:
Glad to see yer back!

Its good to be back........have not made my prescense to known since but you wouldnt beleive the amount of crap that piles up when your gone that you have to take care of. Well ill give this a shot then....im ordering a few things tommorow and this will be one of them. My initail thought was to use the proraso a/s balm followed by the pre/post but this seems like a better idea to me....i dunno

rtaylor61 said:
Old Spice is in my rotation. You just have to be a man! :001_tt2:

Welcome back Joel...hardly recognized ya!

Randy

Randy,
Don't get me wrong.... old spice did better than the adidas, but all it did was burn.... didn't seem to have any helpful properties. When compared with the others, it seemed useless... at least on me!

Old Spice..... :scared:

I agree with the musgo comments. it has an bit of initial alcohol burn but once it passes it removes any irritation that i'd have without it. it also has some glycerin, a mild moisturizer.

good stuff...

This is an interesting subject, Joel. I didn't touch an alcohol-based product for more than 10 years. My face is quite sensitive, and also tends toward dryness, so I became a balm guy. A few weeks ago I began to experiment a bit with alcohol-based products again, and I actually like the results. Though they sting, I find that after that dies down, my face actually feels really good. I do need a moisturizer afterward, however.

BTW, for those who don't like the vile-smelling Taylor no74 original, the no74 Victorian Lime aftershave is absolutely sublime.

Scotto said:
...SNIP...
BTW, for those who don't like the vile-smelling Taylor no74 original, the no74 Victorian Lime aftershave is absolutely sublime.
Why don't you cut out this SUBlime and get REALlime?:001_tt2:

For another data point, I have been using the Woods of Windsor after shave I got from Rik. Top-notch stuff, and not very drying at all. Leaves your face feeling very nice indeed.

Rik,
JUST got back for a wonderful weekend getaway, but yes sir, I have been dutifully irritating my face and testing balms, gels, a/s splashes, etc to truly find out which one I find to be most effective at eliminating razor burn and soothing the skin! As with all experiments like this, there have been some deviations and such, but I am beginning to get consistent results, so I shoul dbe able to forumlate a review soon!!

joel said:
Rik,
JUST got back for a wonderful weekend getaway, but yes sir, I have been dutifully irritating my face and testing balms, gels, a/s splashes, etc to truly find out which one I find to be most effective at eliminating razor burn and soothing the skin! As with all experiments like this, there have been some deviations and such, but I am beginning to get consistent results, so I shoul dbe able to forumlate a review soon!!
I look forward to reading it!

Top Bottom