What's new

Splashes…

Do those of you with SENSITIVE skin use them? 🤔

Most tend to be “alcohol” based.

I have sensitive, oily skin, and have mainly use balms.

Wonder if I could still use the occasional splash, since, with OILY skin, I guess it wouldn’t dry out?

Any ideas, gents?

Thanks! 🙂

My skin is sensitive to many soaps, but none of the alcohol splashes I’ve tried have been a problem. Like @Cal said, only one way to find out.

Try mixing, in your hand, an alcohol splash with Thayers facial toner. You can tune the ratio and get the benefit of both products. The splashes with "face food," I don't find need mixing even if they have alcohol. Thayers has a tool on their website that you can input your skin type to get recommended products.

Do those of you with SENSITIVE skin use them? 🤔

Most tend to be “alcohol” based.

I have sensitive, oily skin, and have mainly use balms.

Wonder if I could still use the occasional splash, since, with OILY skin, I guess it wouldn’t dry out?

Any ideas, gents?

Thanks! 🙂

Lucky Tiger splash is great and alcohol free. Light citrus cent. Great in summer.

Are you wanting to know mainly for the reason of scent or the reason of skin food?

If you are in it mostly for the skin food but are wanting something lighter than a balm, there’s: Nivea 2-in-1, Lucky Tiger, and generic witch hazel (which can be fortified with aloe and other ingredients if you wish). Plenty of other witch hazel based products around too. Speick is a good healing type splash…not sure how those with sensitive skin react to it though.

If you are wanting the scents, it’s true that splashes enjoyably augment the shave in that way but I’ve come to find that it’s the followup frag that makes for the best finish to the experience!

Are you wanting to know mainly for the reason of scent or the reason of skin food?

If you are in it mostly for the skin food but are wanting something lighter than a balm, there’s: Nivea 2-in-1, Lucky Tiger, and generic witch hazel (which can be fortified with aloe and other ingredients if you wish). Plenty of other witch hazel based products around too. Speick is a good healing type splash…not sure how those with sensitive skin react to it though.

If you are wanting the scents, it’s true that splashes enjoyably augment the shave in that way but I’ve come to find that it’s the followup frag that makes for the best finish to the experience!

+1! Lucky Tiger and Speick (my choice today) are great options IMO! :a29:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Alcohol-based splashes provide good toning and astringent qualities. Its also a good antiseptic in case of nicks, though that was probably more useful back in the day when barbers used the same straight razor on every dude. I have oily-ish skin, so a nice alcohol splash, preferably with a little skin food like glycerin or shea butter, is all I need. Witch hazel is fine too, but I like the alcohol sting. For the dry skin guys who needs balms, I don't know. Probably an alcohol or witch hazel splash for some toning before the balm is not a bad thing. But YMMV. Just gotta listen to your body.

I’m starting to think I’m not an “aftershave splash” guy, after all. 😢

I’ve been going through samples of “Stirling’s” splashes (much appreciated, Stirling’s!), and I just don’t get it.

For one, you get that bitter STING that comes from alcohol based products.

Second, the scent is so FLEETING as to last mere SECONDS. 😳

Nah, I think “splashes” are meant for those lucky enough to have “normal” skin (prob. the MINORITY of us), and who just want something to finish off a shave with, something that won’t LINGER, either in skin texture or scent.

I’m starting to think I’m not an “aftershave splash” guy, after all. 😢

I’ve been going through samples of “Stirling’s” splashes (much appreciated, Stirling’s!), and I just don’t get it.

For one, you get that bitter STING that comes from alcohol based products.

Second, the scent is so FLEETING as to last mere SECONDS. 😳

Nah, I think “splashes” are meant for those lucky enough to have “normal” skin (prob. the MINORITY of us), and who just want something to finish off a shave with, something that won’t LINGER, either in skin texture or scent.
Proraso Red and Green splashes don’t feel like they have much alcohol (they may, but I get less stinging) and also have some good skin nourishing stuff in them. Green is kind of fleeting, Red hangs around a little longer.

Proraso Red and Green splashes don’t feel like they have much alcohol (they may, but I get less stinging) and also have some good skin nourishing stuff in them. Green is kind of fleeting, Red hangs around a little longer.
Proraso?!

That’s my JAM! 😍

Thing is, with a brand, scent like Proraso’s beloved “green,” how much is TOO much? 🤔

So, dig… on a “Proraso” shave, I’ll start off with the pre/post balm, followed by the “green” cream, followed by a nondescript toner, like Thayer’s, and after that drys out, finish with the Proraso post shave lotion.

Wouldn’t the splash just be OVERKILL? 🤭🤭🤭

Proraso?!

That’s my JAM! 😍

Thing is, with a brand, scent like Proraso’s beloved “green,” how much is TOO much? 🤔

So, dig… on a “Proraso” shave, I’ll start off with the pre/post balm, followed by the “green” cream, followed by a nondescript toner, like Thayer’s, and after that drys out, finish with the Proraso post shave lotion.

Wouldn’t the splash just be OVERKILL? 🤭🤭🤭

Never!

My friend, if I ruled the world…, man, woman, and child would ONLY be able to use “Proraso” green! 😍😆

But, since I don’t, and being that smell is SUBJECTIVE, I never use it if I’m going on a FIRST date, so as not to put off any potential mates. 😦

Hey, I get it - it’s an INTENSE scent. 🤭

But, I ❤ it! ☺💈

The Proraso Green soap didn’t work all that well for me, but I have some Stirling Eucalyptus Mint on hand for tomorrow and will pair with Proraso Green splash.

The Proraso Green soap didn’t work all that well for me, but I have some Stirling Eucalyptus Mint on hand for tomorrow and will pair with Proraso Green splash.
BLASPHEMY! 🧐😆

Seriously, good luck with the Stirling’s!

Got the “EM” in the witch hazel, and so far, 👌🏻

Let us know how it compares. 🤔

If you have oily skin, you should be OK with splashes containing alcohol. You can cut the splash with witch hazel to bring down the alcohol concentration.

Thanks for the tip, bro, but I'm a “one and done” kinda guy, no mixing for me.

Besides, if you “cut” the splash with witch hazel, you’re diluting an already diluted product. 😕

I am a splash fan, even if I finish with a balm also because I have dry/sensitive skin.

Sometimes, nothing will calm the skin or redness or irritation (when trying new blades for example) like good splash first. I am thinking Speick. Then I go to a balm to moisturize and seal.

I am a splash fan, even if I finish with a balm also because I have dry/sensitive skin.

Sometimes, nothing will calm the skin or redness or irritation (when trying new blades for example) like good splash first. I am thinking Speick. Then I go to a balm to moisturize and seal.
A “Speick” splash?

Just tried their shaving cream, thought it was GREAT! ☺️

Prob. get their aftershave BALM next. 💈

Top Bottom