What's new

Splashes your wife or significant other dislikes?

DR Harris Sandalwood, unfortunately because sandalwood and camphor works really well for me. I’m thinking of getting the 500ml bottle, comes to half the price of 100ml. Harris Bay Rum is exceptional too.

Clubman Original, Brut, Pinaud Bay Rum, Grey Flannel. The missus has told me more than a few times to wash these off. Also to get rid of them, or she will! Really, any aftershave I own which didn't cost more than say, $20, is "garbage". Aftershaves she does enjoy are Aqua di Gio, Cool Water, Obsession, Drakkar Noir and Dolce&Gabbanna "The One". I have to admit the experience of using designer aftershaves is more pleasurable than the drugstore grade stuff. I gave my brother one of the two Clubmans that I had, his "SO" said it was "disgusting". His daughter said it was the most horrid thing she ever smelled on a man.

There is an option in between cheap drug store splashes and overpriced designer ones. Artisan splashes by companies like Stirling, B&M, Fine… in my experience they smell amazing, perform very well on my skin, and are generally good value for money. You only need a few drops so the bottle lasts a very long time.

There is an option in between cheap drug store splashes and overpriced designer ones. Artisan splashes by companies like Stirling, B&M, Fine… in my experience they smell amazing, perform very well on my skin, and are generally good value for money. You only need a few drops so the bottle lasts a very long time.
Am well aware of the artisan splashes, have some from the three you mentioned and Captains Choice. I agree they are a better than the drugstore varieties. The thing about the designer stuff is the scent, the cologne scent they have is just so darned nice in the several that I own. And the missus likes when I wear them. I do wear drugstore/artisan lotions regularly, and they suffice on a casual bum day. If I am out shopping or going out for lunch or dinner, the designers ones are my "go to".

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Clubman Original, Brut, Pinaud Bay Rum, Grey Flannel. The missus has told me more than a few times to wash these off. Also to get rid of them, or she will! Really, any aftershave I own which didn't cost more than say, $20, is "garbage". Aftershaves she does enjoy are Aqua di Gio, Cool Water, Obsession, Drakkar Noir and Dolce&Gabbanna "The One". I have to admit the experience of using designer aftershaves is more pleasurable than the drugstore grade stuff. I gave my brother one of the two Clubmans that I had, his "SO" said it was "disgusting". His daughter said it was the most horrid thing she ever smelled on a man.

Where are you finding aftershave splashes like Draakar Noir and Acqua do Gio? Draakar is a signature scent of mine that I love!

I have over 200 aftershave splashes, modern and vintage. Many of the vintage ones are AS/ Cologne sets sold in Christmas boxes. I have many of these stored away; like vintage CK Obsession, Halston Z-14, Grey Flannel, Cool Water and the likes.

I even have several Draakar Noir with the EDT spray, deodorant stick and a tube of shave balm? Haven’t seen it with the splash?

My wife enjoys most of my stuff, regardless if it’s modern or vintage, or even drugstore or more expensive retail stuff like Acqua di Gio.

I have just a couple of Artisan splashes but not many. Usually, if I want a much stronger and lasting scent? I don’t really prefer that on my face right next to my nose. Just too cloying for me.

I’d rather splash on a lighter and cheaper drugstore aftershave that won’t even be there in 30 minutes and just spray on one of my wonderful vintage 80’s cologne sprays like Polo Green, which the bottles I have will last forever because just a little squirt will do ya all night long. :)

Hi Okie Stubble, hope all is well with you and yours. I believe most every designer aftershave splash I have came in gift sets from a good 5 to 10 years ago, maybe more, or individually from places like Gordmans and TJMaxx, also from days gone by. Cool Water and Obsession splashes were recent, like a couple years ago. I checked not too long ago, both are still available online, for reasonable prices. If I find a designer gift set with an aftershave splash that I enjoy at the discount stores, I grab it just to get the splash, but this has become a rare thing, of scents coming with a splash aftershave. I recently found a Halston Z14 and a Grey Flannel set with aftershave splashes. I am careful with how much, and how often, I use the designer splashes. You obviously have noticed that designer splashes are rare now. Most are balms, which are fine, but the splashes are better.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hi Okie Stubble, hope all is well with you and yours. I believe most every designer aftershave splash I have came in gift sets from a good 5 to 10 years ago, maybe more, or individually from places like Gordmans and TJMaxx, also from days gone by. Cool Water and Obsession splashes were recent, like a couple years ago. I checked not too long ago, both are still available online, for reasonable prices. If I find a designer gift set with an aftershave splash that I enjoy at the discount stores, I grab it just to get the splash, but this has become a rare thing, of scents coming with a splash aftershave. I recently found a Halston Z14 and a Grey Flannel set with aftershave splashes. I am careful with how much, and how often, I use the designer splashes. You obviously have noticed that designer splashes are rare now. Most are balms, which are fine, but the splashes are better.

I have haunted the exact same places as you for my gift boxes. Gordman's, TJMaxx, Marshall's and Walgreens was always a good place to find them during the holidays, but not anymore. I have several of the Drakaar boxes with the balm, but sure wish it was the splash. The good sized bottles of the vintage splash on ebay have gotten quite expensive.

Drakaar is great stuff! :)

Turns out my wife dislikes me smelling like an alcoholic. She told me she didn't like the bay rum or margaritas in the artic.

Fine Snakebite 😂. She detests it! I add a splash of Skin Bracer to cover it a little which seems to make it tolerable to her.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My wife will know and dislikes any aftershaves or colognes that are a loud scent, linear projection with longevity. I learned to dilute them if they are borderline in the danger zone :laugh:.

I have haunted the exact same places as you for my gift boxes. Gordman's, TJMaxx, Marshall's and Walgreens was always a good place to find them during the holidays, but not anymore. I have several of the Drakaar boxes with the balm, but sure wish it was the splash. The good sized bottles of the vintage splash on ebay have gotten quite expensive.

Drakaar is great stuff! :)
Yes, Drakkar is great stuff! I also have snooped ebay and seen the prices on the old Drakkar aftershaves...more than I want to spend! The discounters in our town don't have much in gift sets at Christmas, our Burlington had perhaps a dozen different sets this year, none looked worth buying. I have perhaps a fourth of a 3.4 ounce bottle of Drakkar A/S left, used sparingly, but plenty of EDT. I tried spraying some EDT in my palm along with some Thayers witch hazel with glycerin added to use as an after shave...not bad at all...could smell that glorious Drakkar scent for an hour or so. I haven't looked, but maybe someone like Stirling makes a Drakkar dupe...gonna check into that.

Reading this thread is fun. We think we are to choose what we want. HA.
I use and have used Aramis for many years- since ‘75. After CEO quit smoking after 34 years I had to get a new bottle.
Shaving creams and soaps are where the fun is.
I purchased an aerosol can of Alvarez Gomez cream based on a sample I got. I wasn’t bowled over by it so I put it away. Last week I took it out and tried it with my new scuttle.
Oh My! She opened up all the windows in the house (it’s in the teens) demanded the sink and equipment be washed to eliminate the “stink.” And door to the bathroom had to be closed for three days after.
Two years ago I tried MdC and got the same reaction.
Better to have a cream that’s light and short lived.

My wife has never said she disliked anything regarding aftershave or cologne. Just as I would never say anything to her unless she had too much on by mistake. Of course, I don’t splash a bunch on and run to ask her if she likes it either. Having someone take a huge whiff of an aftershave before it had a chance to calm down is asking for them to dislike it.

My better half has mentioned that she likes a few of them over time. She seemingly doesn’t mind that her grandpa or father wore them either. Just last week she mentioned she liked the English Leather (vintage) I had splashed on as we drove to a family dinner. Her grandfather used to use it all the time.

I have noticed that we are not very opinionated in general though.

I have no interest in what she likes or doesn’t like.
Being my own man I wear the ones I like and the world can like it or lump it.
It works both ways of course, whenever she asks my how her perfume smells I say ‘lovely’ every time. What do I care?

Top Bottom