What's new

Splash versus Aftershave

I was in the grocery store today and looking at products in the shaving aisle. I saw Brut aftershave, Brut cologne, and Brut splash. How is splash different from aftershave? Is this specific to Brut, or do other companies also have both splash and aftershave? Yes, I noticed that Brut AS has menthol and splash doesn't, but more to the point, splash sounds like just another aftershave, so....? Just a marketing ploy?

To me, there are two types of aftershave: 1) a splash (either water or alcohol-based) and 2) a balm/cream/lotion (a thick, oily moisturizing cream.) It sounds like the Brut splash is just the Brut cologne, but instead of in a spray bottle, it's dispensed by pouring out a few drops (hopefully only a few!) and applying it to whatever body part your want to scent.

To me, there are two types of aftershave: 1) a splash (either water or alcohol-based) and 2) a balm/cream/lotion (a thick, oily moisturizing cream.) It sounds like the Brut splash is just the Brut cologne, but instead of in a spray bottle, it's dispensed by pouring out a few drops (hopefully only a few!) and applying it to whatever body part your want to scent.
The only visible difference is the splash had a bigger bottle than the AS or the cologne. None of them were balm/cream/lotion types.

I think it's just a matter of how concentrated the smell is. Yeah, they are all liquids, no balms. I've only tried the Brut aftershave, which I like.

I always thought splash scent was weaker than the aftershave. Cost is usually a good indicator of scent strength.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I think that splash and aftershave are not usually as strong as cologne then it usually goes on to edt then edp. Generally speaking.
Back in the late 50s my Father told me any scent you put on after shaving was aftershave.

I did buy a bottle of musk scent splash in Berlin that was so strong it lasted all day and was sickly sweet. My wife told me I had to get rid of it because was so strong it went through the whole house. I have to say I wasn’t reluctant to throw it out. The smell remained in the bin for ages. It was amusing to watch the reaction of people passing by the bin and doing a double take. That was 4 euro wasted on two bottles. Well live and learn.

Last edited:
The smell remained in the bin for ages. It was amusing to watch the reaction of people passing by the bin and doing a double take.
The Ghost of Musky Past.

"Oh. We have a ghost. Don't mind him. He's harmless. He just likes to wear his musk a bit heavy."

In Europe a aftershave splash and lotion are the same thing, a balm is not a lotion. Brut Splash originally was released as Brut 33 as it contained a 3rd of the strength of the EDT. Europe has a long history of body splashes, whether Cologne's or lotion pour friction.

Top Bottom