What's new

Splash recommendation

Used the Adidas aftershave today. I splashed some on last night to see if I liked the smell, but this morning was altogether different. It burned a whole lot when I first splashed it on. The first burn started to die down, then my face felt like a fire was building. Over the next ~30 seconds, it burned worse-and-worse to where I thought I'd have to wash it off. I stuck with it and over the next 30 seconds it died down a bit, but my whole face turned somewhat red. I thought this had some sort of cooling, but it didn't.

And, the most odd was that my upper lip became numb. Does this sound like an allergy?

Otherwise, the smell is fine, doesn't fade quite as much as I'd like, but certainly not strong and not a bad smell.

Sounds like my reaction to Ogallala Bay Rum. That was unpleasant.

I know you asked about AS splashes, but I want to suggest something. Nivea Arctic Freeze aftershave/moisturizer is a balm, but it's non-greasy, feels nice, and is fairly heavily mentholated. It does everything I expect a splash to do, and the scent is mild and not very long lasting.

Sounds like my reaction to Ogallala Bay Rum. That was unpleasant.

I know you asked about AS splashes, but I want to suggest something. Nivea Arctic Freeze aftershave/moisturizer is a balm, but it's non-greasy, feels nice, and is fairly heavily mentholated. It does everything I expect a splash to do, and the scent is mild and not very long lasting.

That's exactly the balm I've been using for months. I'm through a full bottle of it and onto my second, but find it makes my skin a little tacky and oily in the humidity that is New Jersey. Certainly a winner on better days though.

Odd. The ingredients list on the Adidas Dynamic Pulse I have is very long and does not match the list I find online nor do the packages match. Not sure what to think about that. The ones from Amazon, etc. list menthol and about 10 or so ingredients. Mine lists about 20 ingredients and no menthol. Anyone have any insight?

Are you sure you were using the Dynamic Pulse AFTERSHAVE and not the COLOGNE? With no menthol in it, that would be my guess, since I know the AS has menthol.

Odd, right? Here's what I have.
View attachment 230581View attachment 230582View attachment 230583 $IMG_0862.jpg
Found text of the ingredients on Wal Mart's site. NOTE: This is NOT what I have. Compare to the picture above.

Ingredients; Alcohol Denat.,L Aqua/Water/Eau, Parfum/Fragrance, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Propylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Allantoin, Menthol, Benzophenone-3, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Hamamellis Virginia (Witch Hazel) Extract, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, BHT, Ext. D&C Violet No. 2 (Ci 60730), FD&C Yellow No. 5 (Ci 19140), FD&C Blue No. 1 (Ci 42090), D&C Red No. 33 (Ci 17200).

Last edited:
Don't know why some of those come through as links and some as inline images, but there are four.

If anyone has a bottle of this and can compare, I'd appreciate it. Something seems amiss. I do see a gray and blue package with different bottle and gray cap as well as one that looks like mine with different bottle when I search for it on Amazon. Maybe I got the new, reformulated we'll-happily-burn-your-face-off-and-numb-your-lips version.

I think tomorrow is going to be my Lea balm.

No one has info on that Adidas AS? Not sure what to think about that. If no one knows here, I'll post a new thread specifically about the Adidas.

As for the LEA ASB, it's very good. It is a balm, so slightly outside this discussion, but it's much thinner than my Nivea and absorbs more quickly. It's VERY mentholated, which is very nice on warm and humid days. The scent is a bit utilitarian - I can't really place. It's not bad, but not great either. Certainly worth trying out and I think I'll order some when I next order from Joe at shaveabuck.com. I emailed Joe to confirm this is the correct item.

Wow. This stuff is exactly as I was informed: basically unscented with menthol. It burns a bit and cools. The menthol is strong and lasts quite a while. The scent is pretty much a menthol and clears up immediately to nothing. In fact, after 3 rinses and Lucido, I can still smell the Arko soap. Next time I'll rinse better, but this is exactly what I wanted in an unscented ASL with menthol. Thanks again, rxonmymind.

I'm unable to edit the original, so here's an update after having tried a bunch.

Reminder, I was looking for a fresh, sport, or citrus scent. I learned through this I really like menthol on warm, humid days.

TO TRY
- Adidas Dynamic Pulse - menthol (~$5) - many 'marts, so I can smell there Careful, some are wrong ingredients. I reacted badly to the one I got without menthol. Need to find the old formulation or figure out if mine was mislabeled.
- Gillette Cool Wave - (~$5) - many 'Marts, so I can smell there. No menthol
- Proraso ASL - green one. ($14@WCS)

TRIED AND LIKED
- Nivea Cool Kick Arctic Freeze moisturizing balm - first one and really like it. Light, fresh/sport scent that fades fast. Light burn and cooling. Get over 100 uses and it's <$5 at ShopRite, Amazon, Etc. - Lea ASB - much thinner than my Nivea and absorbs more quickly. It's VERY mentholated, which is very nice on warm and humid days. The scent is a bit utilitarian, but I can't really place it. It's not bad, but not great either. Was very pleasantly surprised by this.
- 4711 - Great. Alcohol, no menthol. Bug spray scent for about 10 seconds then candy/fruity/citrusy smell that's fairly light and fades to a light smell. Lasts many hours as very faint smell. ($13 @WCS, watch Amazon for $5)
- Lucky Tiger - Very light scent and totally gone after about 5-10 minutes. This was exactly what I asked for. Theres no alcohol burn at all and no menthol. Feels and acts just like witch hazel ($8-13 depending on which @WCS)
- Superior 70 Menthol - Alcohol, highly mentholated. Smells like Vick's Vaporub. Smell went away relatively quickly. I liked it well enough and would gladly use it, but like Lucido at least as much.
- Lucido - Alcohol, menthol. The menthol is strong and lasts quite a while. The scent is pretty much a menthol and clears up immediately to nothing. So little nothing it doesn't even cover up 3x rinsed Arko. Love it after Palmolive. Thanks, rxonmymind for the large sample.

TRIED AND DIDN'T LIKE
- Rite Aid Aqua Velva knockoff - smells grandpa-y. Too strong and hangs around. Feels good and is menthol. ~$4 at Rite Aid
- Proraso pre/post cream in green jar - really disliked the scent and it just won't go away. ($13 @WCS)
- Pinaud Clubman - not sold on scent. Need to be sure it disappears quickly. There are multiple scents and I've only smelled the 'regular'. Just meh on scent.($7.50 WCS, avail at many stores)

NO WAY
The Veg - smells terrible. Sure didn't choose me.
Aqua Velva - don't like the scent

Last edited:
Today I decided to give Pnaud Clubman a run, though I really didn't like the smell from the bottle. Now I can't make it go away. I really, REALLY dislike this. I don't like the smell of Arko, but can handle. This, though, is a total dislike - probably as much so as the whiff I once took of the Veg.

So, to get rid of it I rinsed my face and washed it with Palmolive euro soap. That sort of cut it down. Then I washed again with the same. Still hanging around. I put some Lucky Tiger on (though I knew better, that goes away quickly) and it didn't do much to help the cause. Here I am 30 minutes later and I think I'll wash with my body wash and go to 4711. Sadly, I'm almost out of that and have found myself returning to it any time I don't want menthol.

Clubman is 100% out. Of my original request, the only item this one nails is price. Scent and fade are both way off.

Maybe my Lea ASB sample will mask this. That's up next!

a bit late to the party but I'd recommend Skin Bracer Original, moisturizes well, the scent isn't overpowering and it's inexpensive.

I'm pretty well settled on 4711. I found it for a decent price online if I ordered more than one to make shipping worthwhile and landed two of them for just under $20 shipped. Can't wait as my sampler is gone.

Dan - good choice. I love the 4711, just wish the smell stuck around a little longer. I don't like strong scents, but something I can smell on my hands a few hours afterwords is nice.

They changed the formula on the Adidas within the last year or so. Took out Aloe, Witch Hazel and Menthol. No idea why. If I were to guess, I'd say Walmart is there biggest customer, and they wanted it to cost less.

If you like the Nivea, there is a new Nivea Splash called Energy, also available at Walmart for $5-6. I bought a bottle a couple weeks ago.
It works OK. No Menthol. Not too many ingredients. Alcohol, water, castor oil, PG and Taurine IIRC. Smells "aquatic", kind of like Cool Water I guess.

You should try the Proraso Splash. Based on your posted thoughts, you'd probably like it.
Crisp and fresh uncomplicated "greenish" scent, doesn't last too long. Mentholated, with lots of face goodies in it. It's a 1st rate product and one of my favorites.

Speick is my absolute favorite splash, but the scent is not for everyone. Definitely worth a try.

Top Bottom