What's new

Spirit of the Month - June 2009 - Pyrat XO Reserve Rum

Welcome to the B&B Speakeasy Spirit of the Month!

Our selection for June 2009 will be Pyrat XO Reserve Rum

full

Although unlike many varieties of whiskey, there are few restrictions on what spirits can be called "rum," rum is traditionally distilled from sugarcane and/or molasses and has been a popular and economically important product of the West Indies for centuries. Believed to have first been distilled in Barbados, the molasses produced during the sugar refinement process was transformed into a dark, un-aged and over-proof liquor that tastes little like the rums we know today. Over time, methods improved, aging was introduced, and varieties indigenous to different regions emerged. In general, lighter rums originate from Spanish-speaking areas and darker rums usually originate from former English colonies. Often the difference between styles amongst lower-quality rums involves the addition of caramel coloring and spices, however like all spirits, nuance and flavor is imparted into the final product throughout the process: selection of molasses and sugarcane juice, pot vs. column still, yeast strains, aging methods, etc.

[imga=right]http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/17355/full[/imga]Pyrat (pronounced like "pirate," but don't confuse it with the far inferior rum with the pirate on the label) is a rum that has recently been purchased by Patron brands -- a fact hinted to by its distinctive "squat" corked bottle. However, Pyrat has been produced on the small island of Anguilla for decades, and the spirit continues to receive high marks for taste and value. Pyrat XO Reserve is a blend of 15-year-old rums from around the Caribbean, all aged in French and American Oak barrels, and has a distinctive richness containing hints of tobacco, citrus, and cinnamon underneath the obvious molasses sweetness. Some reviewers note its depth rivals that of some whiskeys.

In my opinion, Pyrat XO Reserve is one of the best values in the entire liquor store. It's a quality, distinctive top-shelf rum easily obtainable for <$30. It's appropriate for sipping neat, serving on the rocks, and in simple cocktails. Normally, I wouldn't advocate disguising the taste of such a distinctive and tasty spirit by using it to mix, but I think at this pricepoint, you'd be forgiven. Interestingly, the Daiquiri drink (not the frozen variety), made 8:4:1 rum, lime juice, and syrup (shaken, up) is thought to closely approximate the diluted "grog" drunk by British Navy men. The Cuba Libre is always popular as well (although most don't use enough rum, 1:2 rum to cola at least, and I like mine closer to 1:1).

Ring in June with a delicious summer cocktail, or try sipping this rum as you would a whiskey. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. However you like it though, be sure to post here with your recipes, thoughts, pairings, other high-end rums you prefer, or whatever else.

Here's to Summer!! Cheers!!

:a54:

(Oh, and for a recap of all our past Spirit of the Month selections, check the B&B Wiki here!)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite Rums, although I have been off of my Rum kick for a while and was experimenting with other Rums before I started spending my time and dollars on Whisky and Bourbon. Perhaps it's time to give it another go-round!

My tasting group tried some rums last year, and Pyrat was so citrusy that I honestly thought it was a rum-orange liquer.

I think Pyrat has great potential as a drink base, which is no knock in my house, where Mrs. Rughi demands and receives Sazerac Rye as the base whiskey.

Roger

Good call, Pat! This is an excellent rum, and one that I am not afraid to use as a base in pure, simple cocktails. Tonight I used it in a manhattan-esque type cocktail.

I called it the Kingston, because I don't know the names of any large cities on Anguilla...
2 oz Pyrat rum
1/2 oz Citronge (an orange liqueur also from the Patron label)
dash of orange bitters (I used Fee Bros, but Angostura would be better)
Stirred to chill and dilute and served up with a flamed orange twist.

delicious on a warm summer eve.

Last edited:
I look forward to trying this. It will be the first bottle of Rum that I have purchased.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have recently discovered rum after trying some Ron Zacapa 23 year old.

It is a nice alternative to scotch just to change things up a bit.

I received a bottle of the Pyrat XO as a gift but have yet to try it out but apparently my father-in-law has been enjoying very much. :wink:

Thanks for the great review/recommendation Pat.

I've been reading the SOTMs for M's now and unable to participate because of my Iraq deployment. Now.... I'm on the way home and should be able to head into a high end liquor store in a week and look for some Pyrat. I've never seen it, let alone taste it so I'm looking forward to the tasting notes.

Be careful opening the bottle - that cool looking cork can be tricky!

A few years back, I drenched the entire kitchen with Pyrat XO while wrestling with a bottle of the stuff trying to get it open. The bottle was like a rum-based hand grenade when it flew out of my hand and hit the floor. It was literally dripping from the ceiling, cupboards, etc. Took hours to clean it all up, and it STILL smelled like rum in there for months after... :biggrin1:

I've been reading the SOTMs for M's now and unable to participate because of my Iraq deployment. Now.... I'm on the way home and should be able to head into a high end liquor store in a week and look for some Pyrat. I've never seen it, let alone taste it so I'm looking forward to the tasting notes.
Have a safe trip home, thanks for your service. :biggrin1: Glad you can participate now, let us know what you think!
Be careful opening the bottle - that cool looking cork can be tricky!

No kidding, I had to use pliers to get the cork out. I thought for sure there was going to be an accident.

:drool:

This rum is terrific (I agree with Rughi, though; you take a drink and it's like: ORANGE!!! :biggrin1:)...

I generally prefer something darker and more molasses-y (like Zaya 12yr), but the Pyrat XO is a nice change of pace.

I recently was introduced to this gem at a bachelor party last weekend and was instantly sold on it. I will echo the detection of strong citrus notes as well as a distinct but not overpowering spice. Another bottle of this will shortly be residing in my liquor cabinet.

Wow. I am going to have to try this. It will have to wait a fornight till my next paycheck but there is a bottle at the spirits store I frequent. It is just at $35 per bottle though. Do you think this is too expensive? I am really intrigued by the orange/citrus components. I also like the cinnamon and tobacco idea. I have only ever tried rum made by bacardi. Both dark and light and it was just awful. I have never even been tempted to try the Captain, spiced or otherwise. Besides, the bottle on this one just looks cool.:lol:

Regards, Todd

Just a quick sip last night. Very nice, and I echo the "best value" statement. I'm impressed, even if it was closer to $30. I can see this as a sipping rum, or a flavorful ingredient to many cocktails. Good selection.

Was looking for a Mai Tai recipe for this specific rum and found this. The Appleton is only $20 at BevMo and I see it even close to $15 at other places. Enjoy.

proxy.php

Just a quick sip last night. Very nice, and I echo the "best value" statement. I'm impressed, even if it was closer to $30. I can see this as a sipping rum, or a flavorful ingredient to many cocktails. Good selection.

Was looking for a Mai Tai recipe for this specific rum and found this. The Appleton is only $20 at BevMo and I see it even close to $15 at other places. Enjoy.

Glad you think so John! I always enjoy serving this to people who's experience with dark rums is solely guided by a swashbuckling corporate icon. Usually they're instantly appreciative, even with drinks that tend to mask the flavor of such lesser rums.

I'm trying to put together a daiquiri classic cocktails, Mai Tais may be next on my list if I can get them both out this month, but I'd like to include "Hemingway style" daiquiris and so in both cases, they call for ingredients I don't usually keep around. Hopefully I can get around to it -- real Mai Tais are such a wonderful summer treat, and another example of a drink that's been regrettably over-fruitified by the masses.

My tasting group tried some rums last year, and Pyrat was so citrusy that I honestly thought it was a rum-orange liquer.

I think Pyrat has great potential as a drink base, which is no knock in my house, where Mrs. Rughi demands and receives Sazerac Rye as the base whiskey.

Roger

Rum is something I really could learn more about. What rums came in ahead of the Pyrat for your tasting group? To what do you attribute the citrus flavors? This is pure distilled and aged in oak molasses, right? No flavor additions, right?

What rums to do others really like? Rhum St James, an agricole (from cane juice not molasses) seems to be our go to rum, but perhaps more out of affection for those French islands than necessarily because it is what we like the best. Flavorful, maybe too flavorful.

Top Bottom