What's new

Spirit of the Month!! - February 2010 - Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch Whisky

I was raised on the simple premise: Life is too short for cheap whisky so Lagavulin would pass that test.

Anybody here prefer to add a few drops of water to help the taste test? I'm a neat freak - not even ice in mine thanks.

I'm with you on that! I try a bit of water once in a while to see how it opens up the flavors but overall, neat and never with ice!

I'm a big peat fan...and Lagavulin is up there. Not a Laphroaig or Ardbeg or Talisker...but the balance Castle Craver talks about can help introduce newb Whisky drinkers to the "Peat Class" IMHO...then you can dive headfirst into a bottle of cask strength Laphroaig!

As my wife says...it smells like I'm drinking an ashtray :)

i got a bottle of the 16yr old from the mother in law for my birthday last month
(spose that means i have to be nice to her for another year:thumbdown)
can't decide which i prefer the Lagavulin or Laphroaig, i think i may need to get to the bottom of each bottle to decide!!
I only got into the peaty malts in the last year or so, before that i was strictly a Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich type of guy

I stopped by BevMo last night and picked up a bottle of the 16 yo to break in the new B&B glasses. What can I say, great scotch and great glasses too. In August, I purchased some Highland Park 18 yo and I have enjoyed it quite a bit, but I think the Lagavulin has outdone it. I can see myself picking up both of these fine scotches again.

The Lagavulin 16 yo paired well with the Arturo Fuente Royal Salute.

I'm another fan of the Lagavulins although for some reason I've never found one for less than $95 on the shelves around here, so every once in a while I'll just find a good deal online somewhere and get a few bottles at a time and save a good amount for More tasty scotches!

I will be keeping an eye out for the 12 yo cask strength. For those who have sampled both, which do you prefer?

Last edited:
Lagavulin is great whisky in all the expressions it comes in. That said, I am not a huge fan of cask strength in anything! And I do like some ice generally, unless I am tasting intensely.

Top Bottom