What's new

Spirit of the Month!! - February 2010 - Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Welcome to the B&B Speakeasy Spirit of the Month!

Our selection for February 2010 is Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch Whisky!

[imga=left]http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/19719/full[/imga]This month we finally visit the third of the operational Southern Islay coast distilleries - Lagavulin. Situated near the ruins of Dunyveg Castle, distilling carried out between numerous small competitors at the Lagavulin site as early as 1742, however the "official" consolidated history dates the distillery back to 1816. Lagavulin combined operations with the Kildalton distillery nextdoor in 1837, operating as one under the Lagavulin name since that time. Lagavulin has been the base for several popular whisky blends, most notably the White Horse. At a time when few distilleries sold their spirits unblended as single malts, Lagavulin did so and was popular throughout the UK.

It's history is also somewhat intertwined with the nearby Laphroig distillery. Perhaps the most notable owner of Lagavulin, Sir Peter Mackie opened "Malt Mill" on the site in 1908 ostensibly in effort to produce a whisky truer to old-fashioned production techniques, using only peat. In reality, this came out of a quarrel between the two distilleries, coming after Laphroaig backing out of a distribution agreement with Lagavulin and Mackie's building a dam to cut off their water in response. The court ordered the dam removed, so Mackie built Malt Mill, using his knowledge of Laphroaig's facilities and processes to replicate their stills almost exactly. Malt Mill eventually ceased production and the stills were moved to the main Lagavulin facility shortly thereafter; those eventually being replaced as well and now on display in the visitors' center.

[imga=right]http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/19718/full[/imga]Lagavulin currently sources it malt from nearby Port Ellen, water from the two Solan lochs, and distills the slowest of all Islays in 4 distinctively broad-necked stills. The flagship expression is the 16 year, bottled at 43% -- a distinctively Islay malt, yet rounder and sweeter than many. Some say the Lagavulin 16 is overrated, but it's personally one of my favorites and I'd contend there's a reason so many rate it highly. The iodine puts some off, but I think it's the soft, balanced dram some of the "peat-punch" Islays can only aspire to be. A fifth usually sells for $60-75 depending on your location, and although it's slightly more expensive than many of the malts we've profiled, I offer it my highest recommendation.

Hope you guys are still enjoying the SotM -- your participation makes it worth picking another spirit every month, so let's keep this one going all through February! Use this thread to talk about Lagavulin, your favorite late-winter drinks, meal and cigar pairings, or anything else! Then take a moment to browse our past Spirits of the Month, archived here on the B&B Wiki!

Cheers! :a54:

Last edited by a moderator:
A great malt. Back in college, this was the first Islay whisky I tried as part of a "Classic Malts" sampler tasting set.

One of my favourites. I'm not a huge fan of Islay whisky but the peat and iodine in Lagavulin 16 is well balanced. It's sweeter than other Islay's, which is why I like it.

As a newer member, I'm already a big fan of SOTM. Unfortunately I did not participate in Drambuie last month as I should have. Drambuie is a long time favorite, but I did not have a bottle on hand.

I already spent this month's "allowance" on a bottle of Laphroiag 10. But, perhaps an exception could be made to compare the two Islays side by side.

I take my scotch neat and warmed with my hands. But I like a little nosh too. My son, a toddler, has these delicious little butter pretzels that I really enjoy with whisk(e)y.

How do you take your scotch?

As a newer member, I'm already a big fan of SOTM. Unfortunately I did not participate in Drambuie last month as I should have. Drambuie is a long time favorite, but I did not have a bottle on hand.

I already spent this month's "allowance" on a bottle of Laphroiag 10. But, perhaps an exception could be made to compare the two Islays side by side.

I take my scotch neat and warmed with my hands. But I like a little nosh too. My son, a toddler, has these delicious little butter pretzels that I really enjoy with whisk(e)y.

I take mine with a splash of room temperature water in a Glencairn glass, which fits nicely in the hand for a little bit of warming. The size of the splash depends on the whisky (generally more water for Lowlands and some Speysiders, less water for Islay and Island), and of course whether the whisky is cask strength.

I love Islay malts and frequently have a bottle of Lagavulin open in the whisk(e)y rotation...especially when the local warehouse has it on sale for $59.99 a bottle. I have one open now, in fact.

One of my favorites, a healthy splash of it fits nicely in the Riedel single malt tulip, followed by a much smaller splash of water.

Lagavulin has long been one of my favourites- I have a couple of bottles here at the moment including a Distiller's Edition (Double-Matured in Pedro Ximenez cask) which is great as well. Here's to a great month!

Lagavulin has long been one of my favourites- I have a couple of bottles here at the moment including a Distiller's Edition (Double-Matured in Pedro Ximenez cask) which is great as well. Here's to a great month!

Is that cask strength? I bet it's fantastic.

Is that cask strength? I bet it's fantastic.

It is not bottled at Cask Strength, but yup, it is fantastic. If you have a bottle of 10y.o. Talisker at home, you can achieve something pretty similar by mixing equal parts Lagavulin 16 and Talisker. Bottoms up!

I couldn't find a bottle of the 12 at BevMo. They had the 16 year old for $80. So I may pass on this months selection or look elsewhere. Of course I may change my mind if the B&B Glencairn whisky glass shows up soon.

+10!!!
I got a couple of bottles of the Distiller's Edition for Christmas this year. The regular 16 Lagavulin has always be my favorite until I had the Lagavulin DE! :w00t:

I was raised on the simple premise: Life is too short for cheap whisky so Lagavulin would pass that test.

Anybody here prefer to add a few drops of water to help the taste test? I'm a neat freak - not even ice in mine thanks.

That's a great idea - my kids have the same pretzels on hand. I really enjoy melting a good dark chocolate in my mouth in between sips of scotch. Lagavulin was the first Islay bottle I purchased. I didn't last long. I enjoy it neat in a Glencairn glass after the kids are in bed and I can relax on the couch. It's especially good in front of the fire with a good book.

I have 10 and 15 year bottles of Laphroaig on hand now, but Lagavulin is up in rotation for my next purchase.

Top Bottom