What's new

Spin Bikes or. Choosing some cardio.

Need a bit of help on choosing a spin bike or a elliptical. I have a magnetic bike now and have used a spin long ago and tried one yesterday and I am sold. My room only has enough square footage for a bike or something that is only going to take up a 3'x4' area. I just missed a used one a Sunny Fitness Model 901. I see Wal Mart has these for $249. They have the 40lb wheel and chain drive. If Wal Mart is selling the same one others are and not a cheeped up model this looks good. There are Schwinn IC2 out there for less than $400, but there wheel or hub is 30lb. I ride bikes infrequently and want some cardio for my wife and I. I have not researched the elliptical, but they are a option, but think the spin bike would be a better choice for myself, my wife would lean elliptical. Certainly would like to here some advice on this.

Having used to servicing exercise equipment, I would stay away from most department store equipment. The manufactures know most do not get used and there built cheap. Try finding a used LeMond or go with the Schwinn.

I prefer an elliptical to a bike as it offers a little more variety and provides more of a total body workout.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Watch your ceiling height if you get an elliptical, since you could be standing up to 2-3 feet taller on it.

I've had a Schwinn (when they were still Schwinn) Johnny G Spinner since the mid-late '90's. It's gotten it's use over the years, but since I've purchased a Polar H7 HR monitor, it's a whole new piece of cardio equipment. I can adjust my position, tension, cadence, etc to keep my heart rate right where I need it. Whatever you get, you need some type of program to keep you motivated so you just don't go thru the motions.

I like the ellipticals better, but many of the cheap ones really are pretty cheap whereas some of the cheap bikes are still decent. When I worked in the fitness industry, Keiser had the nicest bikes of anyone, but they were expensive. Octane has some of the best ellipticals, but also not inexpensive. The stuff sold into gym is far better constructed than the stuff at Dicks Sporting Goods or Sports Authority and if you can find a decent reconditioned one it can be a great deal. I've had a health club model Octane elliptical for about 3 years now and I love it. It's probably worth scouring Craigslist for a deal on a piece of equipment that was mainly used as a coat rack lol.

My advice is that you first decide which one you and your wife will use. You could buy a great elliptical or bike, but if it ends up being nothing more than an expensive drying rack, it doesn't matter which one you have. Once you've made that decision, I'd get the best made one you can reasonably afford. I would also second rgclausen's advice that you stay away from department store brands. You could always check craigslist or a place like Second Wind if you have them near you. You might also look into something like a Kurt Kinetic if you have a bike you like and it won't be too long if you throw it on a trainer.

Top Bottom