What's new

Spike's DE Blade Search, &c.

You have me wanting to try my Stirling samples. I've been avoiding them because it's easier to scoop others out of their sample containers, but I'll slice off a little piece for tomorrow morning.

Great soap. The fragrances are light - I mean not strong, compared to some brands. But that works for me. And you won't be disappointed by the performance. Enjoy!

ATT R1 - SuperMax Platinum Plus (1)
Back to reality . . .

Malibu.jpg

Final Thoughts on Polsilver Super Iridium
I did four shaves on the third blade, for a total of 22 shaves on the brand. There's not much else to add. I could easily compare Polsilver SI to my Artists' Club blades, choose a side, and call the whole search done. But you know I'm not going to do that . . .

SuperMax Platinum Plus
SuperMax.jpg

Two shaves with these now - my usual 2-1/2 passes with a slick tallow soap. Both shaves were very comfortable, but with a little more touch-up than I've gotten used to lately, and noticeably more sting than with the Polsilver and Gillettes. More indicative is the fact that I actually had stubble again when I went to bed that night.

So are they as sharp as the Rapiras? As smooth as the Voskhod? Hmm. Still pondering, with another shave to go. More and more I think I gave the Shark SS a bum rap because they were first, but I will get back to them if I live long enough . . .

Thanks for reading.

ATT R1 - Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
Minimalism . . . and Stirling Samples

View attachment 802884

The sixth shave on the second Polsilver blade, and except for slightly more touch-up and slightly more AS sting (and the fact that I gave myself a weeper on my left cheek) it's still going strong. I feel as though the Polsilver on the sixth shave is similar to the Shark on the first shave. I'm tempted to push this blade well beyond 10 shaves, if possible, except that this whole project seems likely to drag on into autumn . . . or winter . . . or . . .

Minimalism
Wait . . . why am I doing this again? Oh, right . . . to find the One Blade. No, that's an expensive razor I have no interest in . . . to find my DE blade. And what's the point of that? Most of the time, I think I know the answer.

See, I've been through this before. My enthusiasms. I went through it with whiskeys, I went through it with coffees, and now I'm going through it with razor blades, Heaven help me. I need to try a full range, determine what kinds of things there are, what kinds of things I like, and then settle on the one I know feels best for me, the one I'm all-around most comfortable with, and that's what I go with forevermore.

And the pattern is I go with something that has 1) a great price/performance ratio, 2) minimal objectionable factors, and 3) some intangible historical or style-based, or sentimental quality . . . though it might not be 'best' in any particular category. That's just my pattern . . . we will see.

I'm not a collector. I'm just a guy who's discovered he really likes this way of shaving, and the B&B community in general. And, I would like to be able to speak intelligently about these products to maybe help others coming along behind me. Which means, around here, I am a Minimalist. Which means, barring something strange and unforeseeable, once I finish this blade survey, I will sell or PIF one of my two razors, and will either use the Mongoose-plus-KAI Mild SE set-up, or the ATT-R1-plus-???? DE set-up forevermore . . . wiith my one brush . . . and my 700 soaps . . . no! Wait!

Stirling Soap Co.
I'm really trying to do the same thing with soaps right now that I'm doing with blades . . . bat around enough so that I know what I like and can settle on . . . 3? or 4? . . . that I use pretty much seasonally, rather than rotate daily. And as you know, in the last year I have certainly determined that (with the exception of I Coloniali Mango, no longer produced) I am partial to American, artisan, tallow-based soft soaps. I admit my Minimalism clashes mightily with a chronic recurrence of SAD.

As I mentioned earlier, I am looking for a tallow Bay Rum soap, and Stirling is next up (may be last or next to last) on the list of companies I hadn't sampled yet. So I ordered Bay Rum and three other samples that were intriguing to me.

As I was told by you good folks (and suspected from the ingredient list), this is absolutely top tier shaving soap. Dense, moist lather is easy to produce and the slickness is off the chart. I've only had the one shave so far, but it's at CRSW Select and Mike's Natural level of lubrication, at least. The Bay Rum scent, however, isn't quite what I'm looking for. It's very subtle, which isn't really a bad thing, but it's slightly sweet, as though there were some orange zest in it . . .

I'm hella curious about Electric Sheep, I suspect Orange Chill may be just the menthol soap I'm looking for, and Weekend in Malibu . . . well, can't imagine what that would actually smell like, but if it actually smells like a weekend in Malibu feels . . . woo hoo!

Thanks for reading.
You actually have 700 Soaps? And you're
Gonna settle on 3 or 4 now that's what I call an impressive feat..
So what are you gonna do with the other
696 Soaps, if at all possible I sure would
Like to try some of them..

LOL. Actually, no . . . that's just where I would end up with my SAD unchecked. I have something more like 7 or 8, and I will be PIFing out anything that doesn't make the final cut in a month or two . . .

Yeah, well . . . the fact that we have so many deserving newcomers showing up here makes it easier. And I aspire to finding 'my jam' and riding off into the sunset with that stuff.

ATT R1 - Dorco Prime (0)
Charging Ahead Through Many Blades . . .

Final Thoughts On The SuperMax
The blade from the UK was good, but decidedly average - I would compare it to the Rapiras in every way. Unfortunately for SuperMax, the Rapiras have that extra point of Intangible quality, so SuperMax is going to score slightly lower overall.

Ming Shi Super White
MingShi1.jpg

MingShi2.jpg

And on to China! My first shave with this blade was extremely efficient - including having very little stubble the next morning. However, the sharpness also meant some extra sting with alum and AS. The second shave was unusual in that I nicked myself a couple of times . . . something that almost never happens. This thing is sharp alright. Lots o' sting with the postshave, but again it had a Gillette Platinum quality of efficiency.

And of course, in any given shave, my technique could be at fault - but on shave three I had this weird thing happen I'd never experienced before . . . during the shave, on several occasions, I felt a sting as if I had just nicked myself, but there was no blood . . . in fact, nothing visible at all. But the alum and AS detected something. (Maybe I need new glasses . . .)

So the upshot is that this blade, for me, has above average sharpness and below average smoothness. They're fine blades, I could use them in a pinch and learn to modify my technique, but on the whole, they also will end up scoring about the same as the SuperMax (which I think I would prefer).

Dorco Prime
Dorco2.jpg

As you can see, I am pretty much using the same set-up continually for the time being. Mmmm . . . so good . . .

Dorco1.jpg

First off, this is the only blade I've tried so far that is printed identically on both sides. If you're a blade flipper like me, you'll have to be on top of your game. Secondly, I still don't know where these things are manufactured, but I'm guessing Dorco America imports them from the parent company in South Korea.

I've just had the first shave on two-day's growth, so we'll see what my stubble's like tomorrow. I did feel that the blade labored a bit on the first pass. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable, but I was conscious of pushing the blade through the whiskers in a way that felt unusual. A bit more touch-up required than with the last two brands. Otherwise, a pretty average shave overall . . .

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
ATT R1 - Feather Hi-Stainless (0)
Three Blades To Catch Up On . . . Vacation is Coming

Final Thoughts on Dorco Prime
I'm sorry to say it's not quite average in sharpness, not really smooth in my book, I docked it a point in Intangibles because it's printed identically on both sides, and I almost docked it a point on Longevity because it seemed noticably worse each shave . . . but three shaves is just too small a sample size to judge on (and the Dorco is probably lucky I won't be giving it a longer trial . . .).

Personna Blue
Floid.jpg

Personna.jpg

A blade made in the U.S.A.! I am not a xenophobe (quite the opposite), a protectionist, or a jingoist . . . but given the chance, I am happiest buying American. I did not subtract Intangible points from the blades from countries I'd rather not support, so I'm not going to add any for being from Virginia. Which is unfortunate, because having docked the Dorco for being printed the same on both sides, I have to do the same to the Personna. Dang! (Also, the printing on the blade is atrociously sloppy.)

This is a fine blade. Comfortable, doesn't leave much for touch-ups, and doesn't leave much stubble 24 hours later - right up there with Gillette Silver Blue on the sharpness scale. And even smoother, I'd say. No nicks (phantom or otherwise) or weepers, and only aftershave sting on those places where I tend to 'go too far.'

Moves into the top three of DE blades I have used so far. Here's where we stand having finished all 12 blades PIFed to me by @WipedOut with my first three longer trials:
Score.jpg

Feather Hi-Stainless
Feather1.jpg

Feather2.jpg

And now we come to the first of the blades from Seki, Japan, renowned for making the finest steel edges for centuries. I have seen some of the Seki katana in museums in Tokyo, and they are insanely beautiful in addition to being (ahem) razor-sharp. Just as I like buying American, having lived in Japan for several years and having studied Japanese language, culture and history, I am a little biased about these blades - but won't give them any extra points for it - in fact, once again, I have to dock an excellent blade a point for being printed identically on both sides! Come on, guys! Otherwise, the presentation, from the cellophane-sealed plastic tuck to the paper wrap to the perfect blade printing, is highest quality.

I've just had my first shave with this thing, so this is just my first impression. (I will use up three Feather blades before my final rating.) Like the Feather and KAI blades for my SE, this Feather is surpassingly sharp. So sharp, maybe, that it can't quite get the highest smoothness rating. Time will tell, but the Feather is almost certainly going to be competing with the Super Iridium for the top spot.

Slight Delay
I probably won't post here again for two weeks - my daughter and I are headed out to Santa Barbara, CA for some much needed R&R, and also to see Hans Zimmer's final concert on his world tour at the Santa Barbara Bowl. Really looking forward to that.

On the trip, I will be using my Harry's cart and Harry's tube cream for the first time in a year. That should be interesting.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Harry's Cart

Quick update from Santa Barbara. Just used a cartridge razor and tube cream with no brush for the first time in over a year, and for the first & only time on this trip.

My knowledge of my beard, and of shaving in general, are much improved! It was an OK shave. Results are DFS+, I'd say. Pretty smooth! Not terribly efficient.

Can't wait to get back to my great shaving soaps & the regular routine.

Thanks for reading.

Yes. And I sometimes go two weeks on a blade, flipping it every day - so . . . it just seems like a common convenience that most brands I've used print the two sides differently. But not all, apparently . . .

ATT R1 - Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
I'm Back . . .

Spice.jpg

And after three days' growth, it was glorious to lather up and have my fourth shave on this Feather blade. I was comfortable applying a little pressure, now that it's not as insanely sharp as it was on first go . . . and it was extremely comfortable. Of course, coming off the Harry's cart I might be a little over-amped. In any case, so far, a great blade, up there with the best.

Barrister's Reserve Spice
So, I think I am going to finish out settling on my regular and 'forever' software before I finish this blade search. I'm very close now. And one critical piece of the puzzle has been finding a high-performance soap that goes into the rotation with the Captain's Bay Rum balm and Cat o' Nine Tails AS. There's nothing really wrong with the Captain's Bay Rum soap, but it doesn't quite measure up in density or lubrication to the other soaps already in my rotation.

But this is the stuff. Smells exactly like original antique Old Spice shaving soap, and is so much better. Very thick and creamy lather, and slippery as all get out. I am totally sold.

Thanks for reading.

ATT R1 - Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
I'm Back . . .

View attachment 813151

And after three days' growth, it was glorious to lather up and have my fourth shave on this Feather blade. I was comfortable applying a little pressure, now that it's not as insanely sharp as it was on first go . . . and it was extremely comfortable. Of course, coming off the Harry's cart I might be a little over-amped. In any case, so far, a great blade, up there with the best.

Barrister's Reserve Spice
So, I think I am going to finish out settling on my regular and 'forever' software before I finish this blade search. I'm very close now. And one critical piece of the puzzle has been finding a high-performance soap that goes into the rotation with the Captain's Bay Rum balm and Cat o' Nine Tails AS. There's nothing really wrong with the Captain's Bay Rum soap, but it doesn't quite measure up in density or lubrication to the other soaps already in my rotation.

But this is the stuff. Smells exactly like original antique Old Spice shaving soap, and is so much better. Very thick and creamy lather, and slippery as all get out. I am totally sold.

Thanks for reading.

B&M has a nice Bay Rum as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom