What's new

Spike's DE Blade Search, &c.

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking. I’m gonna shave with this for a few days, then do a sort of side-by-side. They are certainly different.

The SE2 will put the Old Type to shame, especially since you don't shave your chin or above your lip. Those areas take more care with the SE2.

If you want a couple of Polsilver SI and/or Kai blades, PM me your address and I'll send you them!

Very interesting, spike!

I also used a vintage Gillette today: a pre-war fat handle tech with a Polsilver SI. Bottom line: excellent shave, this sucker stays. Better than my RazoRock Hawk V2 or my injectors? I’m not certain. It didn’t get my chin very close. And I did a 3rd pass to get everything as smooth as possible. It definitely didn’t tackle my jawline like my injectors. But for comfort of the shave and smoothness, this sucker was good.

If I had listened to the gents over on reddit who recommended a pre war Gillette Tech when I started wet shaving almost a year ago, I may never have joined B&B! I would have happily shaved with it and probably never gotten any RAD! But I would have missed out on far too much, so glad I waited so long. Tomorrow: the Schick Krona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SE2 will put the Old Type to shame . . .
I almost forgot about the SE2. This is definitely the time to give that a try. I truly don’t understand how/why open comb vs. safety bar should make any significant difference . . .

Better than my RazoRock Hawk V2 or my injectors? I’m not certain.
Exactly. Definitely good. Definitely different. But objectively better? Like so much else here, it’s probably going to wind up being largely a matter of taste . . .

I almost forgot about the SE2. This is definitely the time to give that a try. I truly don’t understand how/why open comb vs. safety bar should make any significant difference . . .

My guess is that the skin sinks into the open comb slots, getting closer to the blade possibly causing the stubble to pop up for a cleaner cut. It's like increasing the gap, without increasing the gap. If that makes sense...

Lather definitely needs to be slick.

I almost forgot about the SE2. This is definitely the time to give that a try. I truly don’t understand how/why open comb vs. safety bar should make any significant difference. .

I’m pretty sure the geometry of the SE2 is different, as well as being open comb. I think it was intended to be more “aggressive”

Hi, @Gott543! Good to hear from you. I’m sure you’re correct about the geometry. The base plate profiles are different, but I won’t be able to tell how that affects things till I actually shave with it. I’m thinking that will likely be in about a week.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I also used a vintage Gillette today: a pre-war fat handle tech with a Polsilver SI. Bottom line: excellent shave, this sucker stays.

Somewhere, TobyC is smiling.

Now you've used a pre war you must try a post war. :)

Then there are both NEW types, LC and SC. They share the same base plate design as both Techs but offer slightly more gap and blade exposure.

Somewhere, TobyC is smiling.

Now you've used a pre war you must try a post war. :)

Then there are both NEW types, LC and SC. They share the same base plate design as both Techs but offer slightly more gap and blade exposure.

So you're saying if I want a more efficient post-war Tech I should just get a NEW SC? I worry a little about the difference in mild face feel that I would get with the SC over the Tech.

Maybe I'll just have to wait and see what Spike @Tokyospike thinks of his Old Type lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So you're saying if I want a more efficient post-war Tech I should just get a NEW SC? I worry a little about the difference in mild face feel that I would get with the SC over the Tech.

Maybe I'll just have to wait and see what Spike @Tokyospike thinks of his Old Type lol.

The pre war Tech and the NEW LC share similar base plate designs.

The post war Tech and NEW SC share similar base plate designs.

The pre war and LC both offer less inherent rigidity than the post war and SC.

So what I'm saying is, try one of each type, pre war and post war, or, LC and SC, and see which is the better shaver for you. Judging by the fact that the pre war gave you weepers, I suspect you'd prefer the post war because I highly doubt it will unless you use far too much pressure, and I doubt you'd do that.

The pre war Tech and the NEW LC share similar base plate designs.

The post war Tech and NEW SC share similar base plate designs.

The pre war and LC both offer less inherent rigidity than the post war and SC.

So what I'm saying is, try one of each type, pre war and post war, or, LC and SC, and see which is the better shaver for you. Judging by the fact that the pre war gave you weepers, I suspect you'd prefer the post war because I highly doubt it will unless you use far too much pressure, and I doubt you'd do that.

Hm. Well I’ve been wanting to try out a SC and I think I know where I can get one for under $30 shipped. Seems a decent enough price considering how hard it is to find these suckers. So I think I’ll use that as my way of determining what I think of that other baseplate design. I missed out on a lot earlier that included an Old Type and two post war techs as I didn’t think I wanted anything to do with those. And it was more expensive than I wanted to pay for an Old Type. Watching a lot of things on the bay right now and haven’t been bidding on a lot since I seem to win whatever I bid on lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hm. Well I’ve been wanting to try out a SC and I think I know where I can get one for under $30 shipped. Seems a decent enough price considering how hard it is to find these suckers. So I think I’ll use that as my way of determining what I think of that other baseplate design. I missed out on a lot earlier that included an Old Type and two post war techs as I didn’t think I wanted anything to do with those. And it was more expensive than I wanted to pay for an Old Type. Watching a lot of things on the bay right now and haven’t been bidding on a lot since I seem to win whatever I bid on lol.

I'll send you a PM Joel.

I worry a little about the difference in mild face feel that I would get with the SC over the Tech.

The SC can be tweaked by swapping the cap. The prewar Tech cap fits the SC baseplate and will tone it down if it doesn't already come with a mild cap.

Old Type - Gillette Platinum (3)
ATT SE1 - Schick Proline (5)

David vs. Goliath . . . or Laurel vs. Hardy . . . or . . .

2.jpg

Old Type
So I've had four shaves with the Old Type now, and they all basically followed the pattern of the first. My usual 2 pass plus touchups, BBS cheeks and jawline, DFS+ neck, but a little trouble getting the touch-ups on the neck done effectively. Really, a pleasure to shave with.

Thinking about how this compares to the same type of shave I've been doing with the SE1, I have to say the Old Type is slightly less efficient. With the SE1 it takes a full 24 hours for there to be enough stubble to warrant another shave. With the Old Type, that's more like 18-20 hours. That's certainly not an issue for me. If I go whole hog with the SE1 - 3-1/2 passes plus touchups, (which is just for weddings, funerals, and occasions where I am the speaker or the guest of honor) - it's a full 36 hours before I can reasonably shave again. I haven't tried that with the Old Type, but I will eventually.

This last shave with the Old Type was a little less comfy, which I'm sure is the blade, which I tossed after four. When I go back to the Old Type, it will be with a Polsilver SI.

SE1
So yesterday I went back to the SE1 with a Schick Proline in it that had just reached its prime. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but there's something about the size and weight of this rig that encourages deliberate and precise shaving. The blade was way smoother than a Gillette Platinum after 3 shaves, so that's a bit unfair, but I just whipped off the whiskers (usual 2 pass plus touch-ups) no muss no fuss. Yowza. Only the very first shave with the Old Type was close to this ease and comfort.

Going Forward
So this back-and-forth will go on for a while once I get my hands on a Polsilver. In the short run, having had my first experience with an open comb, it's now time to give the SE2 a whirl.

Thanks for reading.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Old Type - Gillette Platinum (3)
ATT SE1 - Schick Proline (5)

David vs. Goliath . . . or Laurel vs. Hardy . . . or . . .

View attachment 890650

Old Type
So I've had four shaves with the Old Type now, and they all basically followed the pattern of the first. My usual 2 pass plus touchups, BBS cheeks and jawline, DFS+ neck, but a little trouble getting the touch-ups on the neck done effectively. Really, a pleasure to shave with.

Thinking about how this compares to the same type of shave I've been doing with the SE1, I have to say the Old Type is slightly less efficient. With the SE1 it takes a full 24 hours for there to be enough stubble to warrant another shave. With the Old Type, that's more like 18-20 hours. That's certainly not an issue for me. If I go whole hog with the SE1 - 3-1/2 passes plus touchups, (which is just for weddings, funerals, and occasions where I am the speaker or the guest of honor) - it's a full 36 hours before I can reasonably shave again. I haven't tried that with the Old Type, but I will eventually.

This last shave with the Old Type was a little less comfy, which I'm sure is the blade, which I tossed after four. When I go back to the Old Type, it will be with a Polsilver SI.

SE1
So yesterday I went back to the SE1 with a Schick Proline in it that had just reached its prime. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but there's something about the size and weight of this rig that encourages deliberate and precise shaving. The blade was way smoother than a Gillette Platinum after 3 shaves, so that's a bit unfair, but I just whipped off the whiskers (usual 2 pass plus touch-ups) no muss no fuss. Yowza. Only the very first shave with the Old Type was close to this ease and comfort.

Going Forward
So this back-and-forth will go on for a while once I get my hands on a Polsilver. In the short run, having had my first experience with an open comb, it's now time to give the SE2 a whirl.

Thanks for reading.

I'm quite interested in this comparison Spike.

I'll assume because I cant remember, but I think you use your SE1 with a shallow or very shallow angle, are you using the Old Type just as shallow or steeper? I use mine very steep. You may find that to increase the efficiency a bit.

You know your SE1 Spike like I know my Grande. Easy peasy no fuss shave with the typical finish you always have. The Old Types are quite a bit different and I not only use them as steeply as I can, but with far more pressure than I'd dream of using my Grande with at as steep an angle. Using my Single Ring like that it gave me a 14 hour BBS, besting my Grande by 2 hours or more and it did it more comfortably besides.

Yes, I'm sold on a shallow angle - a steeper angle with the SE1 gave me the 'ear-to-ear itch.' I promise, when I go back to the Old Type with a Polsilver, I will experiment with a steep angle.

ATT SE2 (0) - Schick Proline (6)
Into Jim's 'no wimp zone' . . .

SE2.jpg

Oh yeah. Blade gap for days. And I don't know why there should be more blade exposure than the SE1, but it sure enough looks like there is. But also, isn't that just a bad-a** razor? I mean, that's serious. Talk about your straight razor on a stick . . .

As with the Old Type and SE1 shaves lately, I kept the Barrister's Reserve soap and all other things the same. Same two passes WTG/ATG with touch-ups. I was very sure to have what to me is a perfect, wet, slippery lather for this business.

And because I am now the Captain of the Cap Riders (tm), this shave was actually very similar to my usual fine SE1 shave. Just don't try to go around corners at speed with this thing. I did not cut myself in any way, and the end result was BBS cheeks and jawline, DFS+ neck, with only slight irritation around my Adam's apple (oh, to be a bearded lady!). So, very like an SE1 shave . . . but man, coming down over my jawline, and even more, coming up over my jawline, I experienced a whole new meaning of 'blade feel.'

It's been 24 hours, and I'm just getting back to enough stubble to require a shave today, so that's also like the SE1. Which makes sense. But the experience of shaving with this thing is not the same. This razor will enforce a shallow angle and a deliberate attention. Is that a good thing?

Do I want to be a bad-a** and be able to say, 'Oh yeah, I shave with an SE2 every day . . ."? It's probably not worth giving up the ease and comfort of the SE1. But I'm going to keep shaving with this for a week or two and see what happens. In any case, it will almost certainly improve my (or anyone's!) technique.

Thanks for reading.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
ATT SE2 (0) - Schick Proline (6)
Into Jim's 'no wimp zone' . . .

View attachment 890902

Oh yeah. Blade gap for days. And I don't know why there should be more blade exposure than the SE1, but it sure enough looks like there is. But also, isn't that just a bad-a** razor? I mean, that's serious. Talk about your straight razor on a stick . . .

As with the Old Type and SE1 shaves lately, I kept the Barrister's Reserve soap and all other things the same. Same two passes WTG/ATG with touch-ups. I was very sure to have what to me is a perfect, wet, slippery lather for this business.

And because I am now the Captain of the Cap Riders (tm), this shave was actually very similar to my usual fine SE1 shave. Just don't try to go around corners at speed with this thing. I did not cut myself in any way, and the end result was BBS cheeks and jawline, DFS+ neck, with only slight irritation around my Adam's apple (oh, to be a bearded lady!). So, very like an SE1 shave . . . but man, coming down over my jawline, and even more, coming up over my jawline, I experienced a whole new meaning of 'blade feel.'

It's been 24 hours, and I'm just getting back to enough stubble to require a shave today, so that's also like the SE1. Which makes sense. But the experience of shaving with this thing is not the same. This razor will enforce a shallow angle and a deliberate attention. Is that a good thing?

Do I want to be a bad-a** and be able to say, 'Oh yeah, I shave with an SE2 every day . . ."? It's probably not worth giving up the ease and comfort of the SE1. But I'm going to keep shaving with this for a week or two and see what happens. In any case, it will almost certainly improve my (or anyone's!) technique.

Thanks for reading.

Its hard to say for sure from the angle of view in that pic Spike, but it looks like it may even be a step up from the MMOC.

The gaping maw of the SE2's medieval brother, the MMOC. Dont mind the Captains Choice remnants, but theres no blood! lol

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Top Bottom