What's new

Spicy, clove-heavy Bay Rums

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
What Bay Rums that you've tried do you consider to be either spicy or clove-heavy or both? List yours...

1) Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum (cinnamon, allspice and clove)
2) Olgallala Bay Rum Double Strength (reminds me of spicy egg nog)

Pinaud VIBR, Ogallala and Lustray. Lustray the mildest of the three, actually nice stuff. The first two mentioned are spice/clove bombs, love em' anyway.

you might try Taylor's bay rum!!

mike's lavender art of shaving fether taylor of old bond street bay rum june 29 2018.jpg

JCarr

I think Gabels has a fair amount of clove in it also.

I think Gabels has a fair amount of clove in it also.

No. It's completely bay oil. West Indian bay has a relatively complex fragrance, though it is reminiscent of clove Which is why I think Pinaud's offering doesn't really smell like bay very much, because it's so monodimensional.

The tradition of bay rums smelling like clove came from barbers making cheap imitations in the 20's and 30's.

JCarr

No. It's completely bay oil. West Indian bay has a relatively complex fragrance. Which is why I think Pinaud's offering doesn't really smell like bay very much, because it's so monodimensional.

Wow! Good to know. Thanks.

Wow! Good to know. Thanks.

I think Pinaud has more of a cinnamon woody type basenote, as well as a fair amount of linalool (chemical lavender). That gives it more staying power than the real stuff, as well as a hazy, cologne-like top end. It's meant to be evocative of bay oil, without actually smelling the same.

Real bay oil is more of a top or middle note, so it doesn't last for long.

Top Bottom