What's new

Spices of Life

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like herbs & spices. Any and all kinds really. Evidence is compelling that spices are healthy. Plus, what's not to like about ground chili peppers or cinnamon. I have made it a goal of mine to add as many different kinds of spices and herbs in my recipes this year, even if the recipe doesn't call for spices. It's easy to add turmeric to just about anything. Next time you are at the supermarket pickup a few spices you've never consider trying before. I'm lucky in that my supermarket has "bins" full of more then 3 dozen different types of dried herbs & spices at a fraction of the cost of those in the bottles. I have even ordered them over the internet where the spices are ground to order.

Here's an article on a few great spices that are on my list:

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-healthy-herbs-and-spices/

Great point on spices. My problem is that I buy them and then don't use them up fast enough to retain their full flavor.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I pickup some whole fennel seeds the other day. Now I need to find a recipe for them. They have a sort of licorice taste that is quite nice. Others that just came in via a spice company are whole green cardamon pods and a curry powder to die for. The curry powder makes up about 10 different spices to make the whole.

...Oh, and a purchased 16 mesh ground pepper for my BBQin'.

I like grinding up some fennel seeds with the mortar and pestle and adding them to tomato sauce for various Italian-style dishes. Nice added to ground veal, liberated Italian sausage...

dave

I just made a sourdough rye bread from a Breadtopia recipe in my new-to-me Romertopf that calls for fennel, anise, caraway, and orange zest that smelled and tasted fantastic. You don't need to have a sourdough starter (or Rmertopf) to make this recipe and they have Youtube videos posted that walk you through it. It was so nice, my Wife asked me to show her how to make it.

$Rye.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like grinding up some fennel seeds with the mortar and pestle and adding them to tomato sauce for various Italian-style dishes. Nice added to ground veal, liberated Italian sausage...

dave

Dave, I like the tomato sauce idea for the fennel. I wonder if they would go well in Asian soups?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just made a sourdough rye bread from a Breadtopia recipe in my new-to-me Romertopf that calls for fennel, anise, caraway, and orange zest that smelled and tasted fantastic. You don't need to have a sourdough starter (or Rmertopf) to make this recipe and they have Youtube videos posted that walk you through it. It was so nice, my Wife asked me to show her how to make it.

That's beautiful Chris. It makes you think twice about eating just plain bread.

The rye flour was the hardest item to locate. I try and buy the smaller spice bottles as I have a hard time using them up while they're still fresh. Have some rosemary and mint in the back yard that's good to use fresh.

I would think that could work well as there's the chase of a similar anise, licorice flavouring with Star anise, taking a whiff just now says the 'Star' has a much more pronounced licorice scent.

We do use fennel seed, anise seed interchangeably in recipes that call for one.

We do a rub for pork chops with, black pepper, anise, salt, sugar and olive oil. A mango, hot pepper Mojo to dress/finish.

Recipe came from June 2000 Gourmet magazine.

dave

I like using ground fennel seed, white pepper, garlic powder and salt as a seasoning for grilled chicken (griddle pan, that is) It works nicely in a warm chicken salad

I pickup some whole fennel seeds the other day. Now I need to find a recipe for them. They have a sort of licorice taste that is quite nice. Others that just came in via a spice company are whole green cardamon pods and a curry powder to die for. The curry powder makes up about 10 different spices to make the whole.

...Oh, and a purchased 16 mesh ground pepper for my BBQin'.
Fennel is an ingredient in Italian sausage and also to a lesser degree in pepperoni. Those would be fun to make.
I also have whole cardamom and curry powder on hand for when I want to make homemade curries from scratch. I sometimes also just chew on a cardamom pod. Freshness the the breath somewhat.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I use fennel and allspice in a lot of my stock based dishes. Try a little of both in your next batch of Texas Red Chili...

Try this the next time you make vegetable beef soup.... Make your soup as you normally would... Try a taste.... Now add a little (start with just a quarter teaspoon) ground allspice and freshly ground fennel... stir it in good and taste. They're very good at adding depth, richness, and just a touch of sweetness to recipes.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Here is one of the best salmon recipes you will ever try: Spice-rubbed Salmon

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp. coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 1⁄2 tsp. fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt ​*
  • 2 salmon fillets, each 6 to 8 oz., with skin intact,
    pin bones removed
  • 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
* Note: I cut the salt back to 1/2 tsp.

Directions:

Heat a small fry pan over medium-high heat. Put the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in the pan and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the spices to a spice grinder or a mortar. Grind the spices using the grinder or a pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the brown sugar and salt.

Place the salmon, skin side down, on a plate and rub the top of each fillet with the spice mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat an oven to 400°F.

In a large ovenproof fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until almost smoking. Place the salmon, skin side up, in the pan and sear for 2 minutes. Carefully turn the salmon over and transfer the pan to the oven. Cook until the fish is golden brown underneath and the flesh is opaque throughout, 5 to 6 minutes.

Transfer the salmon to warmed plates and serve immediately. Serves 2.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.

proxy.php

Here is one of the best salmon recipes you will ever try: Spice-rubbed Salmon

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp. coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 1⁄2 tsp. fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt ​*
  • 2 salmon fillets, each 6 to 8 oz., with skin intact,
    pin bones removed
  • 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
* Note: I cut the salt back to 1/2 tsp.

Directions:

Heat a small fry pan over medium-high heat. Put the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in the pan and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the spices to a spice grinder or a mortar. Grind the spices using the grinder or a pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the brown sugar and salt.

Place the salmon, skin side down, on a plate and rub the top of each fillet with the spice mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat an oven to 400°F.

In a large ovenproof fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until almost smoking. Place the salmon, skin side up, in the pan and sear for 2 minutes. Carefully turn the salmon over and transfer the pan to the oven. Cook until the fish is golden brown underneath and the flesh is opaque throughout, 5 to 6 minutes.

Transfer the salmon to warmed plates and serve immediately. Serves 2.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.

proxy.php

That looks, sounds really good!
dave

Top Bottom