What's new

Sphinx SDP 9

Sphinx SDP9 Compact. Anyone ever shot one?
$sdp-compact-alpha_pl_2.jpg
I have an opportunity to get a Sphinx for a reasonable price (friends with an employee). I've heard they are excellent guns. Reviews say easy to shoot, dead nuts accurate, pretty soft recoil, ultra reliable (Swiss engineering!) etc. They're also somewhat unusual, which kind of attracts me since everybody and their brother won't have the same gun at the range. But the problem is that I'd have to buy it sight unseen and having never shot one. That same relative rarity also makes them impossible to find for rental.

For comparison I'm also considering a Sig P229 (hammer) or P320 (striker). But living here in NH, Sigs are pretty common since they're made here. The discount I'd get on the Sphinx would put it within $100 of the Sigs prices at my LGS.

For reference, my only handgun right now is a Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 clone) that is just a range toy. I have a permit, but the PT92 is way to big to carry, so I'm looking for something carry-sized. I've rented most of the usual suspects, M&P Shield, Glock, H&K, Springfield 1911, a S&W 357 wheel-gun... Some I liked (.357, 1911) some I didn't (Shield).

So anyway -- the question: what do you think of Sphinx? If you've shot one -- can you compare it with something more common? When the time comes, is it worth getting it sight-unseen?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Never seen or shot one, but I'd have a hard time parting with that kind of money, even at discount, sight unseen. Looks like a quality product though. Keep us informed of your decision and a full range report if you get one! Good luck!
Oh, and the downside to having an unusual gun is the difficulty in finding holsters and other accessories, particularly if you intend to carry it for self defense. Make sure you buy extra magazines for it as well.

Last edited:
I have worked in a gun shop/range for the last ten years and have only seen two Sphinx. From my limited experience with them I liked what I saw. Fit and finish was very good and operation was good. No surprises from the Swiss, it was to me a Sig by another name. I found them heavy but I carry a polymer handgun. I always find buying something sight unseen a little unsettling but if you trust the guy...

Fas est et ab hoste docari

How big an issue will be magazine availability? And how much? Something to consider given the scarcity of the weapon itself.

Last edited:
I own/carry many of the weapons you have up for consideration. I guess my recommendation would be primarily based on what the main purpose of the pistol would be. I have a Shield. No great shake to shoot but it is super easy to carry. Accessories and holsters readily available. Have a Sig P229 as well. Carries well with proper holster, shoots like a dream; dead nuts accurate. Plenty of accessories too. As documented elsewhere on this forum, I am a huge fan of a small-ish frame .357....again with the right holster, I hardly know it's there.
Owning a "novel" and unusual firearm can be cool I suppose, just not my style really. I mean it was slightly tedious finding a maker for the recently introduced Ruger LCP II I picked up a few weeks ago. And that was just becaus it was a new arrival on the scene.
The Sphinx pictured bears a resemblance to a CZ-75. If it's not gonna be a "working" sidearm, it might be fun. Otherwise, a P229 or S&W J-frame is what I'd go with. And really...everyone should own a 1911, just because.
$IMG_0217.jpg
$IMG_4592.jpg

I own/carry many of the weapons you have up for consideration. I guess my recommendation would be primarily based on what the main purpose of the pistol would be. I have a Shield. No great shake to shoot but it is super easy to carry. Accessories and holsters readily available. Have a Sig P229 as well. Carries well with proper holster, shoots like a dream; dead nuts accurate. Plenty of accessories too. As documented elsewhere on this forum, I am a huge fan of a small-ish frame .357....again with the right holster, I hardly know it's there.
Owning a "novel" and unusual firearm can be cool I suppose, just not my style really. I mean it was slightly tedious finding a maker for the recently introduced Ruger LCP II I picked up a few weeks ago. And that was just becaus it was a new arrival on the scene.
The Sphinx pictured bears a resemblance to a CZ-75. If it's not gonna be a "working" sidearm, it might be fun. Otherwise, a P229 or S&W J-frame is what I'd go with. And really...everyone should own a 1911, just because.
View attachment 709704
View attachment 709702

Good eyes there. The Sphinx is one of the branches of the CZ75 family tree. I must be drawn to this design, because I have similarly drooled over the CZ-75 and Jericho 941. That also reminds me that I HAVE had the opportunity to shoot a CZ-75 compact. Because it's a variation on the same design as the Sphinx (and Jericho), would it be reasonable to assume that it's shooting characteristics would be similar?

As far as a "working" sidearm -- I'm not a LEO or any type of security, so it would be personal carry and likely only occasional due to various circumstances.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
" so it would be personal carry and likely only occasional"

You still need a holster. Wonder if one for the CZ 75 clones would work? Worth looking into.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think it'd be cool to have something that everyone else is going "What's that?" As has been said, make sure you get a couple of extra magazines.

At 29 ounces it seems just a touch heavy for ccw, but lately I've gotten spoiled to a 15 ounce .38. My Colt Officer's ACP weighs 34 ounces though and I've carried that with no problem. The little bit of extra weight helps mitigate recoil for follow-up shots.

Ask your friend what holsters are available for it...a good holster and stiff belt make all the difference. Then there are the generic holsters that "fit" several different similar guns, but for something of the quality of the Sphinx you should really get a good custom made leather one.

What rabbit hole? :biggrin1:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
" but for something of the quality of the Sphinx you should really get a good custom made leather one."
+1000

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sphinx SDP9 Compact. Anyone ever shot one?
View attachment 709653
I have an opportunity to get a Sphinx for a reasonable price (friends with an employee). I've heard they are excellent guns. Reviews say easy to shoot, dead nuts accurate, pretty soft recoil, ultra reliable (Swiss engineering!) etc. They're also somewhat unusual, which kind of attracts me since everybody and their brother won't have the same gun at the range. But the problem is that I'd have to buy it sight unseen and having never shot one. That same relative rarity also makes them impossible to find for rental.

For comparison I'm also considering a Sig P229 (hammer) or P320 (striker). But living here in NH, Sigs are pretty common since they're made here. The discount I'd get on the Sphinx would put it within $100 of the Sigs prices at my LGS.

For reference, my only handgun right now is a Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 clone) that is just a range toy. I have a permit, but the PT92 is way to big to carry, so I'm looking for something carry-sized. I've rented most of the usual suspects, M&P Shield, Glock, H&K, Springfield 1911, a S&W 357 wheel-gun... Some I liked (.357, 1911) some I didn't (Shield).

So anyway -- the question: what do you think of Sphinx? If you've shot one -- can you compare it with something more common? When the time comes, is it worth getting it sight-unseen?

I vote, this one... :)

I vote, this one... :)
It's funny you posted that. Just yesterday I went to the range and shot the 229 and 320 side-by-side. Both were really nice, but I found I liked the 229 trigger better. In SA, it seemed a little easier to modulate and the trigger break was more consistent. 'Course if a P320 showed up on my doorstep I wouldn't complain.....

It's funny you posted that. Just yesterday I went to the range and shot the 229 and 320 side-by-side. Both were really nice, but I found I liked the 229 trigger better. In SA, it seemed a little easier to modulate and the trigger break was more consistent. 'Course if a P320 showed up on my doorstep I wouldn't complain....

Like the trigger?? Bet you might like it even better with this....$51.00 from Sig Sauer

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A couple of my officers own and use the 320. I have shot theirs and it's the 320's excellent pointability and smooth consistent trigger is what really stood out to me.

I guess I'm just a polymer and striker fired guy at heart... :)

Top Bottom