What's new

Speick vs Palmolive vs LaToja vs Cella vs Arko vs Proraso

All of the vs.'s in the title might be a little misleading. I'm not intending for this to be a true cage match type of thread. I am more curious how the members at B&B rank these affordable and famous shave soaps from historical relevant HBA companies (not the smaller boutique or artisan workshops). I know there are other affordable soaps out there (e.g., MWF and TABAC), so please feel free to add your thoughts on others. My list is sort of a jumping off point.

In my time wet shaving, I have had a chance to use both the Arko and Proraso (Green) listed below. I have a Arko shave stick open in my den, used it this morning - it was a glorious lemon pez shave. I frequently take the lid off of Proraso and soap up my brush, too. It's very refreshing and is quick to lather. I do prefer my Arko by a hair to the Proraso. While both great soaps, I want to pick up a Speick, a Palmolive, a LaToja and a Cella just to see what these soaps are all about. And they all are really quite affordable, so there will be no big bank-busting bill to deal with.

These soaps have my full attention.

• Speick (want)
  • Palmolive (want)
  • LaToja (want)
  • Cella (want)
  • Arko (own)
  • Proraso (own)

I have the Speick, Palmolive and LaToja shave sticks and find them to excellent. I had Cella and although it was an excellent soap I did not care for the scent and gave it away. I also have Arko shave sticks and every time I lather up with one I wonder why I have spent a lot more on some soaps. I find the Proraso green to be pretty good but prefer the Proraso Blue shave cream.

Bob

Your list is fantastic! I have them all, and they are all top performers. Is one better than the others? I don't think so. When properly lathered, they all are quite effective. I can't make myself rank them, but because I have a love for Italian soft soaps, I will put Cella at the top.

I really like Speick. It is my travel soap of choice. Could not get past the scent of Tabac. Have not tried the others.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Speick, La Toja, and Palmolive are 1-2-3 from your list for me. The others all tie for #4.

I only have the La Toja stick. I have the Speick cream and love it, and have my first 2 sticks of Arko in the mail. I actually had both the Palmolive and Speick sticks in my cart at Bullgoose the other day, but pulled them out at the last minute in favor of another soap. I love the La Toja and look forward to trying the others eventually

For me, Speick performs great, but I don't like the smell. It smells like too many old men that I know.

La Toja is top shelf, as is Palmolive and Wilkinson stick. I rate all of these ahead of Arko, but Arko stick is really good.

Proraso green is decent. I had no issues with it, but I prefer more slickness than it gave me. I can't stand the Proraso white.

Cella is some really nice stuff. Some don't like the smell of it. It smells like almond/cherry marzipan. Use Marco's lathering method and Cella is getting near the top shelf.

All of the vs.'s in the title might be a little misleading. I'm not intending for this to be a true cage match type of thread. I am more curious how the members at B&B rank these affordable and famous shave soaps from historical relevant HBA companies (not the smaller boutique or artisan workshops). I know there are other affordable soaps out there (e.g., MWF and TABAC), so please feel free to add your thoughts on others. My list is sort of a jumping off point.

In my time wet shaving, I have had a chance to use both the Arko and Proraso (Green) listed below. I have a Arko shave stick open in my den, used it this morning - it was a glorious lemon pez shave. I frequently take the lid off of Proraso and soap up my brush, too. It's very refreshing and is quick to lather. I do prefer my Arko by a hair to the Proraso. While both great soaps, I want to pick up a Speick, a Palmolive, a LaToja and a Cella just to see what these soaps are all about. And they all are really quite affordable, so there will be no big bank-busting bill to deal with.

• Speick (want)
  • Palmolive (want)
  • LaToja (want)
  • Cella (want)
  • Arko (own)
  • Proraso (own)

Speick is the only one I haven't tried but I would rate them as: LaToja, Palmolive, Cella, Arko, Proraso but they are all great performers and you can't go wrong with any of them. Other great lower priced soaps include Stirling, RR, MWF and Fine, but really there are a lot of great soaps out there at any price point you want these days.

Last edited:
Which one of the soaps listed has the loudest, most pronounced scent? My guess would be Arko.

Speick (want)
Palmolive (own)
LaToja (own)
Cella (own)
Arko (own)
Proraso Green (own)
Lea (don't own)
Monsavon (own)

Cella and La Toja top my list with Arko and Palmolive following. Monsavon is also a soap of this category that provides a decent shave. The proraso green l prefer the least but l keep using it only for the menthol.

Speik is on my wish list and I hear good things about Lea shaving stick.

Monsavon is a new one to me, was not even aware of it. I'll have to put it on my list of soaps to explore. Thanks.

Thumbs up to ALL Proraso "flavors" (green, red, white and blue [cream]). But you forgot to mention another CHAMPION soap!!!! Mitchell's Wool Fat!!!! It's KING!!!!

Thumbs up to ALL Proraso "flavors" (green, red, white and blue [cream]). But you forgot to mention another CHAMPION soap!!!! Mitchell's Wool Fat!!!! It's KING!!!!
:thumbup1: I think I'd appreciate the subtle scent of MWF. Some days, less is more.

• Speick Probably my favorite currently produced soap (the stick form anyway)
  • Palmolive I was very unimpressed. Not that it's bad, but it was RAVED about before I got it. Some claimed it was the best soap in the world, and at less than a gbp a stick(where available)... a steal. I found it to actually perform noticeably below AOS/Valobra (the tallow versions available at the time), and they were the bottom of my "acceptable" range.
  • LaToja Performs very similar to Tabac. Very well. Seems a touch drying to me, but could just be a fluke, I don't use it often enough to really give a solid claim to that.
  • Cella Probably one of the cheapest ways to shave if you buy the bricks. It's ok if you load the crap out of it (which you can because it's so cheap). Not the best performing soap, but plenty good to use, if you don't mind the sickeningly sweet almond scent.
  • Arko Probably another one of the cheapest ways to shave. I suggest letting it sit open on your counter. The scent is a bit strong and improves as it wears down. Performs a bit better than palmolive, a bit worse than Cella. Usable in a pinch, but I don't understand why someone would stock up on it.
  • Proraso Not a bad soap. A little soft for my taste. Lather on par with Cella, I'd say. I like the scent of the Sandalwood (but I've only used that scent as a cream). The green scent is the only soap I flat out can not use because I find the scent so objectionable. As for performance. Good enough to use, but I wouldn't buy it based on the performance.

Which one of the soaps listed has the loudest, most pronounced scent? My guess would be Arko.

Cella has a very strong scent when fresh. But yeah, Arko may have it beat.

Speicks scent is a bit reserved. LaToja's is very reserved. Palmolive scent I don't recall too well, but I wanna say weak to average strength? Proraso green is strong, but I'd say not as strong as arko or cella (just very very bad).

Monsavon was interesting for me. I remember seeing VERY few people mention it (years ago), but it was all positive. I forget where, but I picked up a bowl pretty cheap, tried it, and it was awful... body-soap-tier awful. I posted, basically asking "***, how is this well reviewed", and several people told me, "Oh ya, that stuff is pretty garbage." I don't know, some people like it. I remember it being so damn bad I wouldn't even bother a second attempt at it.

Last edited:
  • Speick Probably my favorite currently produced soap (the stick form anyway)
  • Palmolive I was very unimpressed. Not that it's bad, but it was RAVED about before I got it. Some claimed it was the best soap in the world, and at less than a gbp a stick(where available)... a steal. I found it to actually perform noticeably below AOS/Valobra (the tallow versions available at the time), and they were the bottom of my "acceptable" range.
  • LaToja Performs very similar to Tabac. Very well. Seems a touch drying to me, but could just be a fluke, I don't use it often enough to really give a solid claim to that.
  • Cella Probably one of the cheapest ways to shave if you buy the bricks. It's ok if you load the crap out of it (which you can because it's so cheap). Not the best performing soap, but plenty good to use, if you don't mind the sickeningly sweet almond scent.
  • Arko Probably another one of the cheapest ways to shave. I suggest letting it sit open on your counter. The scent is a bit strong and improves as it wears down. Performs a bit better than palmolive, a bit worse than Cella. Usable in a pinch, but I don't understand why someone would stock up on it.
  • Proraso Not a bad soap. A little soft for my taste. Lather on par with Cella, I'd say. I like the scent of the Sandalwood (but I've only used that scent as a cream). The green scent is the only soap I flat out can not use because I find the scent so objectionable. As for performance. Good enough to use, but I wouldn't buy it based on the performance.
Thanks for your thoughts on these soaps. Speick sounds like a must-try, very-soon soap.

:001_rolle:001_rolle
Monsavon is a new one to me, was not even aware of it. I'll have to put it on my list of soaps to explore. Thanks.

Pack monsavon in a nice jar multiply the price by 20 and it will be a "hit"...
In France it cost <2$ !!!
just IMHO :))

tam

La Toja I have in the cream version but absolutely love it, great unobtrusive scent and post shave feel and the easiest lather I've ever had....my dog could probably lather this stuff.

Top Bottom