What's new

Speick Splash (newER formula) vs. Myrsol Metilsol

After a particularly rough shave last night, one which I went one too many shaves on a blade, I'm interested in opinions on how Myrsol Metilsol fares compared to good ole Speick. I have a half empty bottle of Speick's newer formula splash (the one without Alum,) and while I like the scent and effectiveness, I'm curious about Metilsol. I know it's supposed to be a bit more astringent that Myrsol's other varieties (i.e. great for after a rough shave,) seeing as how it contains Alum and Thymol, but I didn't wanna buy a whole bottle of the stuff if I hated the medicinal scent. I'm not opposed to "herbal" type scents, but I know that I didn't like Antesol, while I DO thoroughly enjoy Agua Balsamica and Formula K. The only scent descriptions I've been able to find regarding Metilsol are "herbal" and "medicinal." Thoughts??

I have a bottle of metilsol. It's in the same vein as agua balsamica, but definitely more medicinal, perhaps clinical is a better term.

It is nothing like antesol

I have a bottle of metilsol. It's in the same vein as agua balsamica, but definitely more medicinal, perhaps clinical is a better term.

It is nothing like antesol
Thanks for the info. If it's similar to Agua Balsamica then I may have to check it out. I really enjoy it. How does the performance compare?

Keep in mind why you are using it (Metilsol). It's intended to help heal rough shaves and not to be an "aftershave" with a scent that lingers. I normally follow Metilsol with some Emulsion after about 30 minutes post shave.

Frank
I will treat it as such. I wish I had ordered either it and/or a bottle of Emulsion when I ordered from G&C a few months back rather than Antesol.

Keep in mind why you are using it (Metilsol). It's intended to help heal rough shaves and not to be an "aftershave" with a scent that lingers. I normally follow Metilsol with some Emulsion after about 30 minutes post shave.

Frank

+1

Myrsol is all about healing and skin conditioning. In my opinion, if someone purchases any of the Myrsol formulas with a view toward the staying power of fragrance, he is bound to be disappointed.

+1

Myrsol is all about healing and skin conditioning. In my opinion, if someone purchases any of the Myrsol formulas with a view toward the staying power of fragrance, he is bound to be disappointed.
That's precisely what I'm looking for with Metilsol. I have enough strongly scented aftershaves.

My samples from Garry's Sample Shop arrived in the mail on Saturday, and I put the Metilsol to the test for this morning's shave. I had two days worth of growth and did my usual 3 pass shave with my R41/Polsilver Super Iridium combo with Barrister & Mann Cheshire soap. BBS with nary a nick or weeper. Perhaps I should've used a less protective soap so I could've REALLY seen just how effective Metilsol could/would be? Anyways... Followed it up with warm then cold water rinse, once over with the alum block, cleaned up my mess then rinsed again. Then it was time for the Metilsol. Scent isn't unpleasant at all to my nose... Not strong. There's some tightening, due to the alum content I assume, but a very nice feel on the face. I finished getting ready for work and used a dab of my Castle Forbes Lime Balm cause I'm feeling limey today. Three hours later and my face is feeling particularly supple. May have to get a full sized bottle of this stuff.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Maybe just me, but I believe I'd have to go after that rough shave part before I got to the aftershave part.

Cheers, Steve

Maybe just me, but I believe I'd have to go after that rough shave part before I got to the aftershave part.

Cheers, Steve

Rough shaves aren't the norm for me by any means, but every once in a while one is bound to have a less than stellar shaving experience. I prefer the aggressive combination of an R41 and a Polsilver Super Iridium blade, so margin of user error is quite small when compared to a "milder" setup, though not nearly as small as with a straight I'm sure. I'm one of those guys that has sensitive skin with a fast-growing/coarse beard (we all say that I'm sure,) so I'm looking for any advantage that I can gain. I agree that technique is paramount when it comes to wet shaving, if that's what you're getting at. There surely is no "magical" product that is going to make up for sloppy shaving.

Top Bottom