What's new

Speick Shave Stick - !

Loving my Speick soap and aftershave that I got for Christmas. Now if I could only get a decent lather off of the stick. Yes I said if only I could get a decent lather off it. :cursing:

With Irisch Moos I have no issue but Speick is still giving me issues. The first pass its great but it thins out very quickly for passes two and three. The stuff so great though that even with the thin weak lather on the last two passes I get a great shave.

I hate to rain on this Speick love parade, but I received a tiny cake of Speick as a free extra from Shoebox ShaveShop. I used it. Then my face developed a red rash (no bumps; just a tiny amount of burning sensation). 24 hours later a bit of the rash was still there. I killed it with some Benadryl cream.
Is this possible? Did I imagine it? I was also using a new 2-band Shavemac badger brush for the first time. I don't know which gave me the rash, but I would think that any irritation from the brush would go away after a few hours.
I would rather blame the free Speick than the very expensive Shavemac.
Anyone have any insights?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I hate to rain on this Speick love parade, but I received a tiny cake of Speick as a free extra from Shoebox ShaveShop. I used it. Then my face developed a red rash (no bumps; just a tiny amount of burning sensation). 24 hours later a bit of the rash was still there. I killed it with some Benadryl cream.
Is this possible? Did I imagine it? I was also using a new 2-band Shavemac badger brush for the first time. I don't know which gave me the rash, but I would think that any irritation from the brush would go away after a few hours.
I would rather blame the free Speick than the very expensive Shavemac.
Anyone have any insights?

That can happen with any soap to anyone. I had the same thing with L'occitane Cade that most guys rave about. It's unfortunate, but when it happens just remember not to get that ever again.

The first pass its great but it thins out very quickly for passes two and three. The stuff so great though that even with the thin weak lather on the last two passes I get a great shave.

Maybe use more soap? I found it to be a pretty easy performer, similar to the Palmostick, however, with any new soap or cream, it takes a few tries until I get the particular soap/water mix right. I briefly wet the tip of the stick and then rub the tips of the wet brush across it for maybe 30 seconds until enough soap has transferred to the brush and some initial lather is forming. Then I continue face-lathering, adding water dropwise to the brush during the lather-up when I think it's too dry. Works pretty well for me (I use that method basically with any soap, stick or not).

Am I the only one who hasn't had good results from Speick that hasn't experienced a reaction or anything of that nature? I was so excited about trying Speick and expecting it to be brilliant based on all the great reviews. However, I find that it leaves a sticky residue on my razor, clogs the razor during the shave, doesn't leave my face feeling all that well conditioned, and the smell is weak. I'm disappointed.

Am I the only one who hasn't had good results from Speick that hasn't experienced a reaction or anything of that nature? I was so excited about trying Speick and expecting it to be brilliant based on all the great reviews. However, I find that it leaves a sticky residue on my razor, clogs the razor during the shave, doesn't leave my face feeling all that well conditioned, and the smell is weak. I'm disappointed.

You are using way too much soap or sufficient soap that isn't being worked with enough water.

Speick lather is second to none. You should end up with a nice thick, slick, yoghurt style lather which rinses off quite easily.

I don't know... My lather is thin and washes off just fine. This morning the razor had a film on it from the day prior that caused the razor to skip on my face instead of slide.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Holy thread resurrection. I love Speick. There is something about my chemistry, but even after a good rinse I can still smell it four hours later (I think that is a good thing). I need to try the AS next.

Very strange. I can't smell it at all after rinsing it off. I wonder if I somehow damaged the soap by shaving it into a dish. Friction, heat, damaged extracts/oils... Long shot, but I'm at a loss. I just haven't enjoyed the soap at all. It's the first tallow soap I've used.

I don't know... My lather is thin and washes off just fine. This morning the razor had a film on it from the day prior that caused the razor to skip on my face instead of slide.

If your lather is thin, I'd recommend a longer load & build time, especially if you have hard water.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very strange. I can't smell it at all after rinsing it off. I wonder if I somehow damaged the soap by shaving it into a dish. Friction, heat, damaged extracts/oils... Long shot, but I'm at a loss. I just haven't enjoyed the soap at all. It's the first tallow soap I've used.
As long as you didn't nuke it, it should be good. As to the scent, I think it is just the way it reacts to my chemistry- it is the only soap I have that does it.

Well, I did some practice lathering with the Speick tonight and with a little patience got much better results! More water, more time... Tomorrow I'll try another shave with it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I did some practice lathering with the Speick tonight and with a little patience got much better results! More water, more time... Tomorrow I'll try another shave with it.
Speick, Palmolive, and Harris take a lot of water. With practice you will get it. What I did was make practice lather and kept adding water. Face lathering is an excellent way of judging what you need.

Stopped using shave pucks. Only use shave sticks now. Much cheaper and better, cleaner lathering. I hated it when I loaded from the puck the mess it would make. Speick is my go to stick. Just a wonderful lather.

I haven’t had good luck with Speick. Lather looks OK, but can’t get a good shave with it. Maybe I’m not adding enough water?
5 or 6 shaves with it and each one has been poor.

I haven’t had good luck with Speick. Lather looks OK, but can’t get a good shave with it. Maybe I’m not adding enough water?
5 or 6 shaves with it and each one has been poor.

Speick needs way more time and water than any other shave stick I own... the results are worth it though

Top Bottom