What's new

Speick pleasantly surprise

Hello, people of B&B!

Today's shave was quite pleasing, and the main hero was the Speick, which was not what I expected but performed amazingly. I just did a quick neck shave, it wasn't a full shave because I am trying to grow a beard, but it was enough to determine the performance of the cream. I tried to also post an image of the gear, but the site wouldn't let me, so i am just going to write it down.

Cream: Speick(tube)

Razor: Wilkinson Sword(plastic)

Blade: Feather

Brush: Yaqi moka 24 mm synthetic

Aftershave: Proraso Green Balm

At first when i bought Speick, my expectations were that it would be somewhere in the ballpark of Proraso Green, despite not being mentholated. The various reviews of it said that it had a tingly sensation. I have to say it was not a cool cream, quite the opposite it had a warm feeling to it, well maybe the warm water i used to lather was also part of the warmth it gave, but it definitely felt warmer than using a palmolive. Performanc-wise, it was fantastic, way better than my Palmolive and the same as Proraso Green, or even a bit more performing. From what i have heard in this forum, the stick that is tallow based is even better, but i can't get my hands on it right now since they only sell the cream where i live and ordering online isn't feasible with the postage price i will have to pay.

Regarding the rest of the shave, it went well, but with a lot of nicks. The shortcoming of the shave didn't come from the gera, but perhaps my own technique. WTG was quite smooth and pleasing. The problems came when i was going ATG. I know that wasn't the blade's fault, i have had a lot of experience with Feather, and yes is the sharpest out there, but normaly that doesn't present a problem for me. With the Wilkinson it was my second time, the first was a head shave, and i had no nicks or any sort of problem with it, but i have to admit, my head is way easier to shave and it is really hard for me to get any cuts or nicks there. So i think i need more practice with it, and perhaps next time I should use something less sharp instead of the Feathers.

So let me know what you think lads, is Speick the best cream available in the cheap/affordable category?

Attachments

• 20230420_103837.jpg
    20230420_103837.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 15
I’ve not tried the soap. However I recently bought the shave stick and was very impressed. Lathered very easily on the face with a light lavender fragrance. When you get the chance, add it to your online shopping basket!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have the Speick stick, the old version of tallow based hard soap(triple milled). It is one of the best soaps I have purchased over the last 6 years of Traditional wet shaving. It has this nice mild spicy scent that is wonderful + has some of the best lather qualities I have used in a lot of soaps purchased over the years. The new Speick stick version has many positive good comments also that indicate they have not changed perfection in shaving soap know-how. I prefer Speick over Tabac of 2 excellent German shave soaps.

Hello, people of B&B!

Today's shave was quite pleasing, and the main hero was the Speick, which was not what I expected but performed amazingly. I just did a quick neck shave, it wasn't a full shave because I am trying to grow a beard, but it was enough to determine the performance of the cream. I tried to also post an image of the gear, but the site wouldn't let me, so i am just going to write it down.

Cream: Speick(tube)

Razor: Wilkinson Sword(plastic)

Blade: Feather

Brush: Yaqi moka 24 mm synthetic

Aftershave: Proraso Green Balm

At first when i bought Speick, my expectations were that it would be somewhere in the ballpark of Proraso Green, despite not being mentholated. The various reviews of it said that it had a tingly sensation. I have to say it was not a cool cream, quite the opposite it had a warm feeling to it, well maybe the warm water i used to lather was also part of the warmth it gave, but it definitely felt warmer than using a palmolive. Performanc-wise, it was fantastic, way better than my Palmolive and the same as Proraso Green, or even a bit more performing. From what i have heard in this forum, the stick that is tallow based is even better, but i can't get my hands on it right now since they only sell the cream where i live and ordering online isn't feasible with the postage price i will have to pay.

Regarding the rest of the shave, it went well, but with a lot of nicks. The shortcoming of the shave didn't come from the gera, but perhaps my own technique. WTG was quite smooth and pleasing. The problems came when i was going ATG. I know that wasn't the blade's fault, i have had a lot of experience with Feather, and yes is the sharpest out there, but normaly that doesn't present a problem for me. With the Wilkinson it was my second time, the first was a head shave, and i had no nicks or any sort of problem with it, but i have to admit, my head is way easier to shave and it is really hard for me to get any cuts or nicks there. So i think i need more practice with it, and perhaps next time I should use something less sharp instead of the Feathers.

So let me know what you think lads, is Speick the best cream available in the cheap/affordable category?

Welcome to B&B, Sir Marlin!
Don't fret, with time you'll eliminate any nicks whatsoever!
Indeed, Speick cream is nice.
I only have the earlier versions, but fully enjoy!!
after all, the plants are harvested by specially-permitted locals!

speick june 4.jpg

@Marlin I would not be pleasantly surprised getting nicks. Disappointed more like it. Switch to a Speick stick. I'd be surprised if you got a weeper let alone cut. The stick is just about as good as it gets.

Thanks for sharing. I've found Feather to be too sharp, if that's a thing. It nicks and scrapes far more than I'm comfortable with. I'd take a Astra SP over Feather any day.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I was learning 6+ years ago wet shaving I found the Feather blade to sharp for my hand technique that was not mature yet.
I enjoy the Gillette Astra, GSB, Personna red blades and a few other blades over the Feather.
When my hand technique matured I found Feather blades OK but not the longevity like some of my other blades. Feather makes a great very sharp blade and will perform well for folks with good hand technique IMO.

Top Bottom